NECA: Predator Movie Franchise Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe NECA is just trying to help Tamiya, Testors, Gunze, Games Workshop, Vallejo, and some of the talented painters on these boards. It's a tough economy, you know.

Cr, you could direct that rant at SSC for some of their four hundred plus dollar statues with horrible subpar paint applications.

I'm perfectly happy with what i bought here, sure the paint could be a little better on P2 but, its not a huge problem, especially on a inexpensive collectible.

The day Neca improves 50% more on their paint detailing is the day SSC have to start taking their product paint applications a little more seriously then they do now.

Last edited:
way more trouble than it's worth. i'll probably just chuck the figure in a donation bin or something. i just want the P2 and the spine trophy.

lol I am going to try, to make a base with branches in the back
lol if you are going to put the figure in a donation bin you could just send it to me LOL :lol

i just have to reply to this old posts. these were tankman's replies to CelticPred:

tankman, if you're indeed kyle windrix, then first of all i have to say i'm big fan of your work. always have. everytime i pick up my neca figs, i always look at the backcard just to see if it has your name there. and i have more sculpts in my house that bear your name than any other sculptor.

that said, everytime i read your comments in this forum, i cant help but wish you would just... not talk too much. everytime you got defensive you always sound like a big jerk! always taking the chance to diss mcf, always making piss poor excuses for piss poor paint, always attacking the critics instead of listening.

why not shut up and take the criticism to heart? honestly.

i have all of neca's preds past and present with many more coming. yes all the sculpts are beautiful, absolutely first rate! it's even mind boggling that such detailed artistry can be rendered in 7" plastic. BUT... the paint app DO suck on most of them. and neca's insistence to mold the plastic in color instead painting over it also doesnt help. and as anyone knows: great sculpts + sucky paint = mediocre final product.

of course, i hear the excuses, china sucks... factory sucks... it's good enough for a $15 toy... yadda yadda bullsh#t... are you then saying your sculpt is just worth $15??? f@ck no! it may be a $15 pred, but the sculpt is worth much more. so, if it's possible for the sculpt to be rendered with such details and accuracy to look good enough for a $100 fig, why ruin it with a $2 paint app??

dont blame the factory. you can always switch to another factory, you can always supervise it better, you can always raise the unit price. nobody's saying that a pred have to cost the same as a mogwai. even ht price varies from fig to fig. i've seen SDCC photos of the 2up of the new preds. they are GORGEOUSLY PANTED! if you charge people $20-30 for a 7" painted like that, i have no doubt people would still find it hard to resist. i know i would buy them all in a hardbeat

end rant.

maybe because Mcfarlane SUCKS?
seriously, he does have a point, MCF was the king back then, but the figures really suck, and they could have been better but Todd didn't care, as far as Tankman tells us, Todd thought the figures didn't needed to be accurate, ( or so I read from Tankman once here)

IS funny because when 1/4 Pred came out I totally bashed McFarlane saying they suck really bad and Tankman tried to put a positive light to MCF, because I was being too harsh against McFarlane, lol

but
I don't know, I do agree that the paintjobs suck and it is kind of ridiculous that the factories have more control than the actual company they work for, is like Who works for Who? who is the boss then?
Is like if I had a house maid and she always burned dinner for me, but i couldn't say anything to her, even though I would be eating Burned chicken (LOL you get my point)
that I agree, I don't understand how NECA has zero power over this, but,

Cr, you could direct that rant at SSC for some of their four hundred plus dollar statues with horrible subpar paint applications.
I'm perfectly happy with what i bought here, sure the paint could be a little better on P2 but, its not a huge problem, especially on a inexpensive collectible.

The day Neca improves 50% more on their paint detailing is the day SSC have to start taking their product paint applications a little more seriously then they do now.
I wish NECA would up their paint quality a bit, or just use different techniques to give it that effect, but I completely agree with you about SS..

Don't understand how a high-end collectible company that makes 4,000$ statues can have such incredibly cheap, ____ty quality. And it just seems to be getting worse.

As for Tankman constantly bashing McFarlane..I'd be pretty pissed if I worked for one of the only companies who made merchandise from my two favorite franchises ever, and they told me to sculpt them inaccurately.

..I do love McFarlane's Dragons though.

If you ask me, they should be doing that anyway. :D
In all honesty though, the Alien Resurrection statue (my first statue ever) I grabbed on Black-and-White Friday turned out quite nicely. Can't say the same for some other stuff they've been putting out.

First rule of doing good business, don't attack your rivals.

Totally makes you look like an ass. Period.

As for Tankman constantly bashing McFarlane..I'd be pretty pissed if I worked for one of the only companies who made merchandise from my two favorite franchises ever, and they told me to sculpt them inaccurately.

:exactly::goodpost::clap:wave
yep, See with Tankman is not just " attacking his rivals" is a little more difficult than that Since he was part of the McFarlane team, and the figures were not done justice, I mean, I am not saying that bashing his former company is a good thing,
but I could totally Understand Tankman, and, As of Today, McFarlane doesn't really qualify as Rival, since they stopped making these kinds of toys, Rivals right now would be Mezco, Hasbro, etc...

It just boggles my mind how a factory can have so much more control over the way a product will turn out than the actual company that owns/uses it. Or rather, that the company can't do anything about it.

but
I don't know, I do agree that the paintjobs suck and it is kind of ridiculous that the factories have more control than the actual company they work for, is like Who works for Who? who is the boss then?
Is like if I had a house maid and she always burned dinner for me, but i couldn't say anything to her, even though I would be eating Burned chicken (LOL you get my point)
that I agree, I don't understand how NECA has zero power over this, but,
exactly. it's like they have no choice but to accept crappy paint job. and this coming from tankman, a guy who jumped ship because he couldn't tolerate todd anymore and then made better figs with another toy company. he, of all people, should then know there are always choices.

maybe because Mcfarlane SUCKS?
seriously, he does have a point, MCF was the king back then, but the figures really suck, and they could have been better but Todd didn't care, as far as Tankman tells us, Todd thought the figures didn't needed to be accurate, ( or so I read from Tankman once here)
mcf's best were the benchmark, the gold standard in toy sculpting, and some of their best still stand the test of time today. but even early on when mcf was just starting, paint app looked consistently professional on their figs, while with neca lousy paint app was a reputation. even now, for every paint success story(like the gears or the gremlins lines) there always have to be lines that have to suffer crappy paint(potter, terminator, the preds). even with neca now being at the top of the 7" game, they just cant seem to shake off its early bad rap. for any given line, there's never a guarantee that the paint app will not be atrociously sloppy. only with neca that i would buy on sight rather than preordering.

i think the ratio of good to crappy paint app is still higher with neca than ss. i could be wrong, that's just my observation. also, ss rep dont come in here blame some factory in china and attack customers for speaking their minds.

tankman got to sculpt some of the coolest characters while on mcf. mcf gave rise to a renaissance in toy collecting. no mcf = no neca. seriously. give credit where credit is due. i dont know what exactly todd did to tankman, but in almost every post i read he seems to still hold a grudge against his former employer, bashing him and calling him "mc clown", "mc turd" etc. if the reason for it is that tankman didnt get to sculpt a pred more accurately(but still GOT PAID for it), then he's just being petty.

and before someone thinks i'm a todd fanboy, let me it be known that i was banned so many times from the spawn forum for criticizing mcf. CelticP can attect to that if he still remember me. i had my big beef with mcf, mostly also for giving fans stupid piss poor excuses for every stupid piss poor decision they made.

exactly. it's like they have no choice but to accept crappy paint job. and this coming from tankman, a guy who jumped ship because he couldn't tolerate todd anymore and then made better figs with another toy company. he, of all people, should then know there are always choices.

mcf's best were the benchmark, the gold standard in toy sculpting, and some of their best still stand the test of time today. but even early on when mcf was just starting, paint app looked consistently professional on their figs, while with neca lousy paint app was a reputation. even now, for every paint success story(like the gears or the gremlins lines) there always have to be lines that have to suffer crappy paint(potter, terminator, the preds). even with neca now being at the top of the 7" game, they just cant seem to shake off its early bad rap. for any given line, there's never a guarantee that the paint app will not be atrociously sloppy. only with neca that i would buy on sight rather than preordering.

tankman got to sculpt some of the coolest characters while on mcf. mcf gave rise to a renaissance in toy collecting. no mcf = no neca. seriously. give credit where credit is due. i dont know what exactly todd did to tankman, but in almost every post i read he seems to still hold a grudge against his former employer, bashing him and calling him "mc clown", "mc turd" etc. if the reason for it is that tankman didnt get to sculpt a pred more accurately(but still GOT PAID for it), then he's just being petty.

and before someone thinks i'm a todd fanboy, let me it be known that i was banned so many times from the spawn forum for criticizing mcf. CelticP can attect to that if he still remember me. i had my big beef with mcf, mostly also for giving fans stupid piss poor excuses for every stupid piss poor decision they made.

you do have a good point there in bold lol

and yeah, That's why I said, MCF was the King, because it was, it really was the best at that time, I had a lot of McF and Spawn toys, (that i sold most of them) I used to love McF... Loved it, I would love seeing the figures in stores, so Yeah ( this is the same thing I said when I was bashing McF lol)

is just kinda sad to realize how they didn't care for accurate figures and how now they just don't care at all

I'm too tired to post any additional photos tonight, but in any case here's something for y'all to chew on:

comparison.jpg

Now, talk amongst yourselves.

that said, everytime i read your comments in this forum, i cant help but wish you would just... not talk too much. everytime you got defensive you always sound like a big jerk! always taking the chance to diss mcf, always making piss poor excuses for piss poor paint, always attacking the critics instead of listening.

why not shut up and take the criticism to heart? honestly.

It's natural to defend your compnay against piss poor quality when you work for them. I'm sure if tankman moved on again to another company he would bash NECA's quality control and paints apps like he has done with McF.

The sculpts are brilliant yet are ruined but the factories. I don't understand how figures that I bought years ago have a better paint app then the current day figures. Even NECA's Wolf looks tons better.

you do have a good point there in bold lol

and yeah, That's why I said, MCF was the King, because it was, it really was the best at that time, I had a lot of McF and Spawn toys, (that i sold most of them) I used to love McF... Loved it, I would love seeing the figures in stores, so Yeah ( this is the same thing I said when I was bashing McF lol)

is just kinda sad to realize how they didn't care for accurate figures and how now they just don't care at all
ok, got you. one stupid decision after another led mcf to where they are today. i think it's now too late for them to reverse their fate and get back into the game. even sadder still, it seems like mcf is not even trying to.

It's natural to defend your compnay against piss poor quality when you work for them. I'm sure if tankman moved on again to another company he would bash NECA's quality control and paints apps like he has done with McF.

The sculpts are brilliant yet are ruined but the factories. I don't understand how figures that I bought years ago have a better paint app then the current day figures. Even NECA's Wolf looks tons better.
if wolf looks crappy, and if all the toys made by neca and all other toy companies look crappy, then i can accept that there's ONLY ONE toy factory in the whole of china. if you want to go cheap, you get what you pay for.

and like i said, a 7" pred doesnt have to cost the same as a 4" mogwai. if it cost more to get a 7" pred painted well, then charge more. people will still buy. just look at the going rate for the new preds on ebay. something does not compute in neca's hq. :cuckoo:

I'm too tired to post any additional photos tonight, but in any case here's something for y'all to chew on:

Now, talk amongst yourselves.

looking at the pics above, all i could think of, besides the missing belt buckle, is that giving real netting to a 7" pred is VERY DOABLE. have they tried doing that for a 7", or they just outright assume it cant be done? but i know it can be done because i've seen real netting on a 7" fig, and now looking at the pic above, i'm even more certain that it is not impossible for a pred also. so why the persistence with the sculpted painted net, especially since it's obvious the sloppy paint on the netting is a major detriment to the overall impression?

Netting is definitely possible. I have this Canary figure and it works quite well. Will it requre a little more thought? Sure.
Neca is trying to hit the biggest market then can get. Neca probably thinks that pushing the price closer to $25 will drive some away.
2n7h5hf.jpg

What I love I how some of you actually seem SURPRISED that the paint apps aren't high quality on these. Every time a new wave comes out, they get a *little* better, buts it's always the same people complaining about the same things. It's like, why aren't you just expecting it by now? That's probably why I enjoy theym so much, I don't expect a $60 paint app on a $15 toy. /endrant

Back