NECA - Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought the strips were white too but looking at a picture of the actual prop used in the show, it looks more silver.

captain.jpg

To add insult to injury, I read on NECA's Twitter page that today is being re-christened "Monster Monday".

Well, NECAs big mistake with this line was not doing, at the very least, Taylor and Nova. They should have started with, and completed, the first movie, including the humans, before attempting to move on to the other movies. Not showing any interest in doing the humans, primarily the main character, was the reason I avoided this line. They bit themselves on this one, and then they turned around and tried to blame it on the lack of interest by the fans. Not so, NECA, not so. But if you're not going to do it right, then the blame is on you

Well, NECAs big mistake with this line was not doing, at the very least, Taylor and Nova. They should have started with, and completed, the first movie, including the humans, before attempting to move on to the other movies. Not showing any interest in doing the humans, primarily the main character, was the reason I avoided this line. They bit themselves on this one, and then they turned around and tried to blame it on the lack of interest by the fans. Not so, NECA, not so. But if you're not going to do it right, then the blame is on you

I totally agree... I'm a huge "Apes" fan and I avoided this line as well because they didn't make, at the very least, a Taylor. These figures looked great but if you don't include the main protagonist what is the point.

I agree as well. So many mistakes on NECA's half. For 1 on the gorilla 2 pack, why add 2 human catchers and no bandoliers, when there were no humans in the line! That hurt the sale of that set wgich cpuld have been a cash cow like the series 1 gorilla soldier. And what toy company has ever release a wave of figures and after 2 weeks of there release say oh the lines dead! Did Neca really expect to sell there 75.00 3 pack in just a few short weeks???? Lets be real neca. They didnt give the line a true chance, and theu should have liatened more to us the consumer to see what we would like to see in the line, and maybe take some ideas into consideration.

Its easy to lay the blame at NECA but in the end they did everything possible to make this line a success. This was a passion project for Randy and he definitely wanted it to succeed. The fact is people just weren't buying. The humans were actually in development stages so where the astronaut apes, which I really wanted. The exclusive packs didn't sell at the SDCC, and they made a lot less of the apes... yet their other exclusives sold well. If people supported the line we would have eventually seen the humans, not to mention the figures which were already developed like Julius and Veska.

Its easy to lay the blame at NECA but in the end they did everything possible to make this line a success. This was a passion project for Randy and he definitely wanted it to succeed. The fact is people just weren't buying. The humans were actually in development stages so where the astronaut apes, which I really wanted. The exclusive packs didn't sell at the SDCC, and they made a lot less of the apes... yet their other exclusives sold well. If people supported the line we would have eventually seen the humans, not to mention the figures which were already developed like Julius and Veska.

I agree 100% with you! Look at the Predator line they do, I think there in like there 12th series, that franchise is newer and resonates with a lot younger demographic. I would have loved some human figures too, but the Apes are the most interesting and I for one am very happy to have gotten what we did. I bought 3 sets of the the latest series 3. With a little artistic ability and imagination, I was able to make an Urko,figure , a Ceaser figure from Battle, an alternate soldier gorilla , and am working on making a Galen figure. Neca, s quality is second to none. I have nothing but praise for them and what they have done.

Wow, this is the very first time I've heard this? Where is this info from? Why wouldn't Neca release this info earlier to curve collector's fears? Randy and Neca have repeatedly stated that there were going to be no humans, or horses?! I wish Neca wouldn't quit so early. Us old people need time to catch up. I just bought Blue-Devils collection so I will have more to add to my garrison. I also made a Captain and the rank with two stripes. What rank is that, LT.? I need to still make the V Rank. What rank is this? If there was still any hope to keep this line alive I wish Neca would tell us. To think that all our younger generation wants are homicidal maniacs or mass murders is a little disturbing to say the least. What ever happened to the imagination where Apes could rule the world?

Wow, this is the very first time I've heard this? Where is this info from? Why wouldn't Neca release this info earlier to curve collector's fears? Randy and Neca have repeatedly stated that there were going to be no humans, or horses?! I wish Neca wouldn't quit so early. Us old people need time to catch up. I just bought Blue-Devils collection so I will have more to add to my garrison. I also made a Captain and the rank with two stripes. What rank is that, LT.? I need to still make the V Rank. What rank is this? If there was still any hope to keep this line alive I wish Neca would tell us. To think that all our younger generation wants are homicidal maniacs or mass murders is a little disturbing to say the least. What ever happened to the imagination where Apes could rule the world?

Well Randy said no horses or other accessories but I never heard him say no humans. I could have sworn Randy said that Taylor was in development. I could be wrong and I will ask him again. However the astronaut apes were definitely sculpted and in preliminary stages. What only could have been, this was a great line. Too bad people didn't support what we got and now complain about the line being cancelled.

Randy stated quite clearly on the NECA Twitter page months ago that neither Taylor nor Nova were being developed.

So you can interpret that anyway you want.

Did NECA make mistakes? Sure. That Gorilla 2-Pack was a huge misstep... as well as botching the first Zaius (the sculpted bangs and mispainted areas did that figure no favors). I was glad when they took another stab at Zaius for the next wave (turning out a GREAT Zaius... that is IF you can find a good paint job), but most people weren't so happy about it.

But were these mistakes fatal to the success of the line? No. The simple and damning fact is that the fan base for POTA tends to skew a bit older to people that simply do not collect figures. It's the reality we Ape fans that DO collect figures have to face and own up to. It happened with our beloved 12" Sideshow line 10 years ago. We chimps are too few. But what we lack in numbers, we tend to try to make up for it in loyalty. But it's just not enough.

I'm afraid we have seen the last of the Ape merchandise to be produced. After the failure of the NECA line, I doubt ANY company will touch the license with a 10 foot man-catcher.

Last edited:
My fault! :slap Maybe I confused it with their 8 inch line when they initially announced the POTA licence way back when. I just confirmed with Randy, and yes Taylor was not in development. Personally I just wanted more apes, specifically the Astronauts which I think would have been awesome.

Randy stated quite clearly on the NECA Twitter page months ago that neither Taylor nor Nova were being developed.

So you can interpret that anyway you want.

Did NECA make mistakes? Sure. That Gorilla 2-Pack was a huge misstep... as well as botching the first Zaius (the sculpted bangs and mispainted areas did that figure no favors). I was glad when they took another stab at Zaius for the next wave (turning out a GREAT Zaius... that is IF you can find a good paint job), but most people weren't so happy about it.

But were these mistakes fatal to the success of the line? No. The simple and damning fact is that the fan base for POTA tends to skew a bit older to people that simply do not collect figures. It's the reality we Ape fans that DO collect figures have to face and own up to. It happened with our beloved 12" Sideshow line 10 years ago. We chimps are too few. But what we lack in numbers, we tend to try to make up for it in loyalty. But it's just not enough.

I'm afraid we have seen the last of the Ape merchandise to be produced. After the failure of the NECA line, I doubt ANY company will touch the license with a 10 foot man-catcher.

Agreed! I don't think We are ever going to see any more classic POTA figures. There just aren't enough fans around.

I always wanted the Sideshow figures. I do have the 3 Hot Toys Gorillas and those are awesome. The Gorilla soldier and Ursus that Sideshow made don't really compare. Although from what I remember Ceasar was pretty good.

If NECA was in fact developing a set of Ape-O-Nauts... well, it makes the death of this line sting that much more. This sucks.

I wish NECA could be persuaded to at least show us pictures of ALL that they developed... for archival purposes. Just so we Ape fans could see what might have been. I've saved all the pictures they flashed us during those bygone Monkey Mondays.

Good points made above! I can say if a 7" slave taylor was in series 2 in place of Zauis i think it would have helped the line some. Reasons i belive is the gorilla soldier sold well in series 1 as an army builder. With taylor i know me as wekl as others would have bought many mutiples switching out the heads to make a human army. I just think neca could have taken a few different stros towards the line, but thats just my theory!

What only could have been, this was a great line.

Not only was Neca's, Classic Planet of The Apes, the best action figure the license has ever seen but they are the Best figure to come out in 2014 and 2015. :lecture

(*Note to self, cancel all existing 1:6 HT Star Wars pre-orders. Dang those pesky NRD's and penalty fees.):slap

Truth is it takes a year to make these figures and if this line was to continue, crosses fingers, Neca has some figures ready to roll.

To Any Ape Fan Collector, these are by far the best dirty stinking Apes available!

Last edited:
Hey guys so I have decided to sell off half of my beloved collection. Figured i'd come here first to tell my ape friends. Im going to sell
20 gorilla soldiers
1 gorilla 2pk
4 zira
2 cornilius
1 zaius v.1 and 2 v.2
1 ursus
And 1 bundle pk that will be sold individualy...
Alll figures are sealed. Im keeping my loose figures as well as my lawgivers. I will be selling them pretty much for what i payed at toysrus, if intrested P.m me [email protected] .... i prefer to ship within the U.S.

Would the Medicom Apenauts fit in with this line?

I think they're too short.

The Medicom Taylors look pretty nice next to Neca apes, Nova is a little too tiny but passable.
The Medicom Lawgiver statue works with them as I think there were a few different size Lawgiver statues in the first movie.
And if you really want to add to your Neca apes - Medicom Lucius looks good as a kid chimp with them.

Back