NECA - Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone happen to have an extra Dr. Zaius V2. they want to get rid of. Loose is fine. I know TRU has plenty but I am hoping to pick one up here quick.

Can anyone recommend a horse that would work well with Neca figures? I know earlier in this thread some were buying 1/12 scale horse models but I would prefer a complete figure with the saddle and all. I would love to display a soldier on horseback with the rifle held high. I was thinking of this one: Lord of the Rings Ringwraith and Horse Amazon.com: Lord of the Rings Ringwraith and Horse: Toys & Games

Or perhaps the McFarlane's Headless Horseman figure which had a nice horse too. I also believe Hasbro released a Thades figure with a horse from the Burton's film, but from what I remember it wasn't really too detailed.

Just not sure if the scale in any of these would be perfect for the Neca figures...Anybody happen to have them displayed ,would love to see pics.

C'mon even though the line is dead, lets keep this thread active. Neca gave us some awesome figures :wave

C'mon even though the line is dead, lets keep this thread active. Neca gave us some awesome figures :wave

Sad to say I think this forum is pretty dead. I think everyone had fun Speculating on what Neca was going to release next. Then people showing off there collections. Now that the line is dead the intrest seems gone. I know for one my intrest has has died some. As far as horses i bought some beyer ones but they werent the best scale. The mc farlen headless horsemen looks great! But always looked pricey. Good luck.

I'm still grieving.

To be honest, I think the death of this line hurt more than the death of the !2" Sideshow figure line. at least with THAT line, we know we got EVERYTHING that they made.

NECA left SO much of their hard work unreleased....

Sad to say I think this forum is pretty dead. I think everyone had fun Speculating on what Neca was going to release next. Then people showing off there collections. Now that the line is dead the intrest seems gone. I know for one my intrest has has died some. As far as horses i bought some beyer ones but they werent the best scale. The mc farlen headless horsemen looks great! But always looked pricey. Good luck.

Yeah, I agree it seems even any lingering interest that was left is waning. As far as the horse, the Headless Horseman figure is pricey now. The horse from Lord of the Rings (Ringwraith and Horse ) seems more detailed in pics I have seen , just not sure which one would work better in scale.

I'm still grieving.

To be honest, I think the death of this line hurt more than the death of the !2" Sideshow figure line. at least with THAT line, we know we got EVERYTHING that they made.

That is the problem, I wish they would have found a way to just release the already developed ones. I still can't believe we will never see these guys.

Yeah sucks we didnt see Veska or who i really wanted Julius! We got a rehash of a medicom line but only half what they made. Still sucks but i think the intrest is gone. Theres nothing left to do with the line. Even Neca's tumbler page which was getting tons of post every other day with peoples customs and collections is pretty dead. Only getting 1-2 post a week if that. But oh well we ape fans here bought and supported the line all we could.

I'm still grieving.

I'm right there with you. I tweeted Neca daily with support. Purchased every release with proof on Neca's Social media sites. I practically begged for more. I still am honestly. But, no point beating a dead ape here. Maybe Neca will randomly drop single releases here and there, but I don't see that happening. Had they just made the Charlton Heston, they could have made multiple varients like Ripley for each series. I'm at the point where I almost want to sell them. They are so beautiful, but its almost become a burden to look at. Like a tease. Knowing there were 5 more to add to the collection, that will never come to fruition.

Can anyone tell me here about the sideshow ape figures? Like how many figures did they release and who? And what were the prices on them? I've seen them on ebay for like 80-100 bucks mostly. Sucks to know I missed that line as well as started collecting the medicom line at the very end only getting a few of the characters.

Can anyone tell me here about the sideshow ape figures? Like how many figures did they release and who? And what were the prices on them? I've seen them on ebay for like 80-100 bucks mostly. Sucks to know I missed that line as well as started collecting the medicom line at the very end only getting a few of the characters.

If I remember correctly they released:
Astronaut Brent
Astronaut Taylor
Forbidden Zone Astronaut Taylor
Taylor (Beneath the Planet of the Apes Version)
Slave Brent
Slave Nova & Taylor (2-Pack)
Caesar
Cornelius
Dr. Zaius
Zira
General Ursus
Gorilla Soldier-Ape Enforcer
Gorilla Soldier-Ape Marauder
Mutant Jailor
Mutant Leader (Beneath the Planet of the Apes)

Sideshow had exclusive versions as well. I think you can still pick most of them up fairly reasonable if you are patient, only Ceasar really consistently sells for over a $100.00. Also the Hot Toys Soldier, Captain and Ursus are much better that the Sidehsow ones, in fact those are some of my favorite figures HT ever made. They don't make them like that anymore.

Thanks DHolden007, crazy to see that they made as many humans as apes where Neca wouldn't touch any humans except for the 8 inch mego. I thought those hot toys were the sideshow figures as well the Ursus is amazing, the soldiers are awesome except there fro hair is a bit off lol. Do you Remeber what the orginal retail price on them was and where were they sold at?

I believe the original retail on the Hot Toys was $124.99 each but this was back sometime 2008, I remember BBTS had them in stock for $115.00 you were also able to buy them directly from Sideshow (they distribute Hot Toys in North America) Unfortunately I wasn't collecting back then and passed, then had to resort to the secondary market. I paid a lot more :gah: . Yeah, one of the of criticisms against the Hot Toys gorillas was that the hair wasn't movie accurate but I don't care, I love these figures...by far the best POTA figures ever made (although the new General Ursus statue from PCS is pretty amazing).

Here are some quick poor quality pics, I really got to re-pose them (you can get some amazing poses with these guys)

Thanks for the photos! Ursus looks awesome! Yeah the gorillas are still awesome despite there hair which honestly isn't that big a deal. Almost seems like you could brush and spray it down. Those figures were pricey to when they were released, suprised anyone could army build with those. Well i hope in 3 years"2018" POTA will be its 50th anniversary so im hoping we get some cool merchandise!

Thanks for the photos! Ursus looks awesome! Yeah the gorillas are still awesome despite there hair which honestly isn't that big a deal. Almost seems like you could brush and spray it down. Those figures were pricey to when they were released, suprised anyone could army build with those. Well i hope in 3 years"2018" POTA will be its 50th anniversary so im hoping we get some cool merchandise!

I hope so too, but with the way sales have gone, I dont see a company ever taking another chance with a complete Apes line. Perhaps we may get a one and done statue from Sideshow (like Pop Culture Shock is doing with the Ursus on Steed), but that will likely be all. Sideshow already did a 1/4 scale Dr. Zaius and I don't think it sold out too fast. Werid that they would start a line Dr. Zaius if they ever intended to do more.

They intended to do more... much more. Mat Falls, the person who sculpted the entire first wave of Sideshow's 12" POTA line and who also sculpted the Zaius PF, told me at SDCC 2008 that we almost got another POTA PF before the line died due to poor sales. A George Taylor PF was completely finished and ready for production when the estate of Charlton Heston (who had recently passed away) would not sign off on his likeness for the piece... killing the item dead.

I think starting with the iconic Zaius was a personal choice for Mat. Since he is my favorite POTA character too, I could hardly fault him for his choice. In hindsight, he probably should have sculpted a generic gorilla soldier like Hot Toys did.

So there is a one-of-a-kind Taylor PF out there somewhere... "probably turned green by now and nobody can read the nameplate...."

Perhaps it's in Mat Falls private collection of his work or inside the hallowed halls of Sideshow Collectibles.

I would love to see it someday.

Last edited:
They intended to do more... much more. Mat Falls, the person who sculpted the entire first wave of Sideshow's 12" POTA line and who also sculpted the Zaius PF, told me at SDCC 2008 that we almost got another POTA PF before the line died due to poor sales. A George Taylor PF was completely finished and ready for production when the estate of Charlton Heston (who had recently passed away) would not sign off on his likeness for the piece... killing the item dead.

I think starting with the iconic Zaius was a personal choice for Mat. Since he is my favorite POTA character too, I could hardly fault him for his choice. In hindsight, he probably should have sculpted a generic gorilla soldier like Hot Toys did.

So there is a one-of-a-kind Taylor PF out there somewhere... "probably turned green by now and nobody can read the nameplate...."

Perhaps it's in Mat Falls private collection of his work or inside the hallowed halls of Sideshow Collectibles.

I would love to see it someday.

That is very interesting I did not know that. I always had a feeling that Dr. Zaius was intended to be first of other statues. I like Dr. Zaius too but it just seems like an odd choice to start a line with. That's like starting a Dark Knight line with Two-Face. I am surprised after Taylor was scrapped they didn't at least make one other attempt with say Ursus or a generic Gorilla.
The upcoming PCS Ursus on Steed looks pretty awesome though...but so expensive that I have to pass. :thud:

Well its cool to know theres alot of different ape figures out there. Its just to bad there all in different scales. If you really think about it alot of action figure lines dont last. Indiana jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, those a few off the top of my head. Honestly though i didn't expect this line to last for years. I just wish we would have got around the same as the medicom line which i think they made around 21 figs. I really was looking forward to julius and i wish they would have made Lucius as well. But oh well!

When Neca originally announced the licence I was hoping they would do the complete Medicom line (and more). The worst part is, we didn't even get the figures they developed. I also really wanted the astronaut apes...what only could have been. I guess its just too niche for a mainstream figure line. As much as I want them to find a way to release Urko, Veska and Julius, I can't really fault Neca. They tried, and Randy definitely loved these figures.

That is very interesting I did not know that. I always had a feeling that Dr. Zaius was intended to be first of other statues. I like Dr. Zaius too but it just seems like an odd choice to start a line with. That's like starting a Dark Knight line with Two-Face. I am surprised after Taylor was scrapped they didn't at least make one other attempt with say Ursus or a generic Gorilla.
The upcoming PCS Ursus on Steed looks pretty awesome though...but so expensive that I have to pass. :thud:

After they scrapped Taylor, the sales figures were in for Zaius. From what I've been told (and I may be wrong) the actual run on the Zaius PF was even smaller than the edition size of 500. That is sad.

I've always pictured that the Taylor PF would be a companion piece with Zaius. That he would be styled after the look he had in the cave at the end of the film... clean shaven and perhaps holding an Ape rifle. That would make a pretty cool display.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I have a hard time marginalizing the good doctor. Zaius... not only is he THE symbol of the Ape culture, he is the cult figure of the entire series. It's his face that is on the theatrical poster. He is the one the Simpson writers wrote that catchy song about. His name was the only name they reused for the TV show. If there is a cultural reference of POTA in a film, and they use a name in that reference, it's usually Zaius. And every figure line that has been launched, has included him as among the first offerings. Sideshow and Neca made two.

Although he may have had less screen time than Two-Face, Zaius' presence is felt through the film. I liken Zaius more to that of Hannibal Lecter... with less than 20 minutes of screen time, he is the cultural figure head of the film... the one John and Jane Q Public has heard of.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said about Dr. Zaius. I love the character. By no means am I intending to marginalize Dr. Zaius , I am just trying to come up with a reason as to why sales were so low.

I just think that had they started with say a General Ursus it would have generated more sales, but I could be wrong...in fact the real reason and as much as I hate to admit it, POTA is just not popular anymore to sustain a statue/action figure line. PCS did sell out of the General Ursus on Steed statue. I don't know if they further lowered the ES, but I doubt they would have sold as many had they done Dr. Zaius instead...just my opinion. Neca is a little different since they released the lines in waves. Dr. Zaius definitely should have been in the first wave. They made 2 because the 1st one didn't come out good (especially compared to that original proto-type), although as far as I know Randy never said that. I really love those Neca figures. Great figures for a good price.

Yeah I love Zauis and he is a key character to the franchise! I think Necas forst wave was a good choice. However I would have preferred zaius V 2 in the first run, that way wave 2 could have had a different figure, like Taylor even though i know Neca said they were'nt intrested in humans. I wish theu would have made a Taylor and Nova slave 2 pack like sideshow.

Back