NECA - Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have any of the Medicom POTA figures? I am curious how they would fit in with this line. I was especially thinking of getting the Astronaut apes.

Great looking Urko, Crue-Leader. Do you remember the company of the figure you bought, 21st Century Toys, Bbi? I will have to try the same.

I bought the figure from a company called "Plan B" , very reasonable too. Figure and shipping was only $15.00. Once I get mine in I will be trying to figure out away to convincingly attach it (holster) to the Aldo bandolier. The bandolier of course will have to be cut and reshaped to be a belt. I'll post a picture when I am done. Next up, to try and make my own Galen figure. Need to find a back pack for him though. (using the Cornelius body)

In regards to the Medicom figures: Too small for integrating the apes, they are kind of in a scale all there own, However I think the Taylor and Nova figures would work.

Thanks Crue-Leader. I will investigate that company further. I'm looking forward to your shots. Also, I will try to find a picture of Galen's backpack, unless you can post one. I will keep an eye out for you.

Thanks Crue-Leader. I will investigate that company further. I'm looking forward to your shots. Also, I will try to find a picture of Galen's backpack, unless you can post one. I will keep an eye out for you.

Thanks Stickman, I am thinking if we can find a suitable back pack, using the new Caesar head, on the Cornelius body, The front leather bib on the Cornelius will have to have the embossed ape emblems removed somehow and repainted. I think the face is good from the Caesar to pass as a Galen head, except the ears are a little off. Maybe Jessica can tweak this one, and offer to us customizers?

Another custom I want to do is using the new Conquest gorilla head on a standard soldier and paint the Tv series "V" on the front of his vest. This would then allow one to have the exact same Tv Ape we were shown from Neca earlier this year. The face would need dry brushed brown though.

Thanks to Protozaius I received the Series 3 bundle in today! I haven't opened it but looking through the window box they all look fantastic. I cannot thank him enough. He's made an Ape Fan very happy. Didn't think I would be able to own it either.

Hey Stickman ... Here ya go.. The German figure I got from Plan B toys worked perfect for robbing the pistol and holster from. Now my URKO is complete. I was worried about the scale , but it seems perfect. Let me know what you think. [/URL[URL=https://s910.photobucket.com/user/bigfoot1966/media/IMG_0971.jpg.html]

That is perfect! The holster and pistol look great. You inspired me to attempt my own Urko this morning. I used General Ursus' holster, (Unfortunately I lost the pistol.) I'll have to find that Plan B. Here is a little collage of pics I took today.

Adam%20Odells%20General%20Urko.jpg

Last edited:
That is perfect! The holster and pistol look great. You inspired me to attempt my own Urko this morning. I used General Ursus' holster, (Unfortunately I lost the pistol.) I'll have to find that Plan B. Here is a little collage of pics I took today.

Adam%20Odells%20General%20Urko.jpg

Great job.. this is definitely my favorite figure out of the line up. even though we had to figure bash to make him. Here is the web site to Plan B:
plan-btoys.com I have a 1/10 scale Breyer horse I bought at a flea market that is brown, I will be working on painting him White for the Urko figure. I also will have to learn a new skill in custom making a saddle and bridle set up for the horse, along with rifle sleeve and any provisions that hang off the saddle.

A Galen figure would be nice to do but the Caesar head would need some sculpting modifications for that to work, not sure if I have the talent for that?
A TV series gorilla is also another one I would like to do , using the new Conquest head on a series 1 soldier, and painting a V on the vest.
An Orangutan Conquest figure would be another cool one to do, repainting the gorilla suit yellow, and modifying a series 2 Zaius head.

Thanks Crue-Leader. I will try to get one of those figures, any of the 3 German it seems as they all come with a Walter P38.

I like all your ideas for further customizations. I thought of Jessica when I removed General Ursus' helmet and saw his head. I know she could easily add a crown and reshape his head to give us a helmetless Ursus, but she hasn't stopped by in a while and I imagine she is awfully busy. Looking back at Neca's proposed Urko they have him on a General Ursus purple body, which would have been cool to do, but his gauntlets are golden in color compared to Aldo's silver.

During the head swapping yesterday I noticed that one of the gorillas, maybe General Aldo had a smaller neck peg, which I would like to get more of. The older heads sit too high on the newer bodies with the long neck pegs.

When doing the TV version gorillas how can we prevent paint seeping into the groves of the vest? I would like to try to make a few of these. Were those stripes White or Silver?

Conquest Orangutan - Is the suit yellow with orange pockets?

If I ever get more Ursus' it would be fun to make a cartoon version. What about the cartoon versions of the gorillas in green outfits? Those might be cool to and I have enough gorillas soldiers to make of few of those.

Lastly, what paints are you using. I using Tayami Acrylic paints.

*Update, I got the Panzergrenadier.

Last edited:
Thanks Crue-Leader. I will try to get one of those figures, any of the 3 German it seems as they all come with a Walter P38.

I like all your ideas for further customizations. I thought of Jessica when I removed General Ursus' helmet and saw his head. I know she could easily add a crown and reshape his head to give us a helmetless Ursus, but she hasn't stopped by in a while and I imagine she is awfully busy. Looking back at Neca's proposed Urko they have him on a General Ursus purple body, which would have been cool to do, but his gauntlets are golden in color compared to Aldo's silver.

During the head swapping yesterday I noticed that one of the gorillas, maybe General Aldo had a smaller neck peg, which I would like to get more of. The older heads sit too high on the newer bodies with the long neck pegs.

When doing the TV version gorillas how can we prevent paint seeping into the groves of the vest? I would like to try to make a few of these. Were those stripes White or Silver?

Conquest Orangutan - Is the suit yellow with orange pockets?

If I ever get more Ursus' it would be fun to make a cartoon version. What about the cartoon versions of the gorillas in green outfits? Those might be cool to and I have enough gorillas soldiers to make of few of those.

Lastly, what paints are you using. I using Tayami Acrylic paints.

*Update, I got the Panzergrenadier.

I sent Jessica an email asking what she thought of my ideas, and if she would consider altering the Caesar head.

Based on all the photos and actually watching the Tv shows , I would have to go with a silver/ metal finish on Urko's gauntlets.

I too noticed the different length in neck pegs, I believe it was the Ursus peg that was longer, although the shorter peg worked better on the Aldo body when using the Ursus head/helmet. I am going to try and take series 1 soldier head and put it on the headless Ursus, and then take the left over Aldo head and put on that soldier, hopefully that will work out?

As far as the stripes for the TV series ape vest, I am going to use a Tamiya tape (sold in hobby shops) to mask off the stripes and use an acrylic white paint applied by an airbrush. With the stripes masked off and the paint dry, I am then going to apply a semi gloss lacquerer based clear coat to seal it so the white stripes do not scratch or wipe off from handling. I don't think you'll encounter any paint bleeding if you use a good tape and airbrush them on.

I am fairly confident the stripes were white and not silver. Check out any of the TV episodes.

I learned what ever paint you apply to these figures you have to use an acrylic first, an enamel or oil based paint won't stick. However like my Urko head, I was able to apply an acrylic base, and when dry apply an oil wash with no problem. You just have to have an acrylic base down first.

I will have to double check but I think the Orangutan conquest jumpsuit was a light yellow, with a couple shades of slitty darker yellow pockets.

Yes it would be cool to make a cartoon version too, but these Neca figures are so detailed not sure if it would look right?

I too use Tamiya acrylic paints, they work real well. I use denatured alcohol to thin them when I airbrush.

Glad you got your german soldier coming, that one is the same one I got and does have the p-38 Walther, the officer version comes with a Luger pistol, so you selected the right one. You should get it quick mine only took 2 days to get here from Ohio to Michigan.

Keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing your finished Urko.

SOLUTION TO DIFFERENT HEAD TO BODY POST WHEN SWITCHING HEADS: There are two different head post that are attached to the body of the POTA figures, a short one and a long one. If you find that the head you want to attach to a different body sticks up higher than it should in ratio to the shoulders, use a #19 drill bit to drill out the hole in the head. Be careful though , you don't want to accidentally go all the way through. I used a drill press and went approximately 3/8" into the existing hole. Below is a picture of the Aldo head attached to the Conquest body.

SOLUTION TO DIFFERENT HEAD TO BODY POST WHEN SWITCHING HEADS: There are two different head post that are attached to the body of the POTA figures, a short one and a long one. If you find that the head you want to attach to a different body sticks up higher than it should in ratio to the shoulders, use a #19 drill bit to drill out the hole in the head. Be careful though , you don't want to accidentally go all the way through. I used a drill press and went approximately 3/8" into the existing hole. Below is a picture of the Aldo head attached to the Conquest body.

I forgot to mention, it is much easier and reduces your risk of twisting or bending the post if you soak the figures in a pan of water on high heat on your stove , it makes removing and reattaching the heads a lot easier. I took mine out just before it was about to boil to remove and reattach heads. Hope this helps everyone that wants to build armies or customize.

Nice swaps Crue-Leader. I was called away for the weekend and just got back into town so I will need to get resettled. After reading your posts regarding the painting of the stripes for the television version of the gorillas, would it be possible to make them with a brush? I've never owned or used a spray bottle and am a little intimidated on using one with no experience. I always thought the stripes were white, and have added some to my SS gorillas back in the day, but since then have noticed the HT used silver, that is why I asked. I also realized that I left my camera in NY and won't be getting it back till at least next weekend. Keep posting your creations though, they're great to see.

Your conquest Aldo looks cool.

Nice swaps Crue-Leader. I was called away for the weekend and just got back into town so I will need to get resettled. After reading your posts regarding the painting of the stripes for the television version of the gorillas, would it be possible to make them with a brush? I've never owned or used a spray bottle and am a little intimidated on using one with no experience. I always thought the stripes were white, and have added some to my SS gorillas back in the day, but since then have noticed the HT used silver, that is why I asked. I also realized that I left my camera in NY and won't be getting it back till at least next weekend. Keep posting your creations though, they're great to see.

Your conquest Aldo looks cool.

Yeah I would definetley go with white for the stripes, not sure if a brush would give you the results you want without bleeding.? I believe they make acrylic spray paint, I would mask off your stripes and paint with an acrylic aerosol. Just be sure to do a very fine mist and let it dry for a minute or two before you make another pass. Apply it in very thin multipe coats, practice on a some pieces of scrap dark plastic so you know how far away you need to be to achieve thin coats. That should work for you I would think, although an airbrush would give you better even coverage. Acrylic dries very fast when being dispensed out of a can or even an air brush.
I just sold my house, so my customizing is now on hold for awhile. Best of luck to you, and I look forward to seeing your customizing.

Back