NECA - Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

The thing I remember the most about POTA was seeing the gorilla's on horse back for the first time so I decided to do one on horse back in a relaxed pose but being vigilant.

RECIPE

Gorilla Soldier & Horse - is from NECA and he has had he's joints superglued then puttied up and then given a complete repaint, again I paid particluar attention to the face and eyes and gave him an open mouth by cutting his mouth open and then using AVES Fixit sculpt to sculpt the teeth. I also repainted the body and gave the outfit some subtle washes and drybrushing to bring out the details.

The horse is from a company called Breyer and is 1/12 scale and works pretty well with the 7" figures. This horse was all black so I decided to give it a brown colour and this was done by using Vallejo paints and pastels.

I made the saddle and bridle from left over pieces of lever and used small O-rings and 1/6 scale buckles for the rigging, the stirups were made using plasicard and the the then leather was used to make the holders.

The rifle bag was made using left over leather and the rope is some spare 1/6 scale rope I had in the bits box. The rolls were made using a old 1/6 scale German uniform and the straps were made using 1/6 German Y-straps.

Base - The base was first built up using left over pieces of high density foam and then plaster cloth was used to cover the foam. I then gave the plaster cloth a paint over using dark brwon paint and once that dried I used a mix of dirt and potty mix to use a ground cover.

Once the ground cover dried I gave it a wash of dark brown then once dry gave it a drybrush of light brown. The grass was done by using railway modellers static grass and was applied and left to dry and gave it a wash of medium green and the drybushed it light green once it dried.

The tall clumps of grass were done by going into he back yard and picking reall clumps of grass out of the ground, I then let it dry for about an hour then gave it a spray of dull coate and then gave it a wash of light green.

The smaller clumps of grass I used are from The Army Painter and the come as small clumps and all you have to do is pull them of the sheets and then attach them to the base using a small amount of superglue.

Ron
LCGcICQ.jpg

7g6Riq4.jpg

3nC4Nyr.jpg

7L56NdX.jpg

huXi0Gz.jpg

MHTx1Zd.jpg

91xJBnX.jpg

r5RpE2N.jpg

Last edited:
Not much was revealed for Monkey Monday again but they posted this on Facebook and Twitter:

1503943_798673316861722_4566502363531601350_n.jpg

I might take a cue from this pic and pose Cornelius holding the airplane that comes with Zira.

I picked up a second gorilla soldier today at TRU. This one I will open and display (I have series one MOC and stored away). The figure was $24.95. Damn I miss the days of these figures being $14.99!!

Another stunning dio, Hemble!

Thanks heaps mate and once you get your Cornelius posed with the paper airplane I would love to see it.

Thanks for the kind words.

WOW, It looks like I checked in at a good time, Great photos Hemble. That gorilla looks great on horseback. I hope Neca still uses the molds from their Lone Ranger line, those horses looked great and would compliment this line completely. Hemble, what do you do with your dioramas after they are created? It would be cool to see a self full of your Gorilla dios. Your work is very inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

Cheers buddy, the only way I see NECA doing horses is if they do it with a Gorilla and then I think it would be limited. With the dios at the moment once they are made they get put away for safe keeping as I am getting perspex made up to cover my shelves so I don't keep getting dust on them.

Once I have all the shelves made up and the dios back on them I'll take pics and that should be next week.

Ron

Last edited:
Excellent work again! You constantly inspire me to try more with displaying these awesome figures. Once I am allowed, I will be posting pics of my ape structure, although it pails in comparison to the museum worthy quality you are able to do. I look forward to your ideas on the 2nd wave.

I know NECA said they may make a Gorilla 3-pack of all three variations of the soldier from the TV series, and I sure hope this proves to be profitable for them so they make a three pack of Galen, Burke & Virdon too.

Anyone know if NECA is happy with the response of the classic series?

I hope NECA is happy with the results with the classic pota line..I've been to a dozen TRU's in my area and there all completely sold out of the pota line. Since it seems to be selling well you would think they will be coming out with plenty more waves... BTW Hemble your dios are INSANELY awesome!!!!! Great work!

I picked up a second gorilla soldier today at TRU. This one I will open and display (I have series one MOC and stored away). The figure was $24.95. Damn I miss the days of these figures being $14.99!!

:lol:rotfl I remember $5.99 and then the jump to $8.99. I was damn!:lol

Excellent work again! You constantly inspire me to try more with displaying these awesome figures. Once I am allowed, I will be posting pics of my ape structure, although it pails in comparison to the museum worthy quality you are able to do. I look forward to your ideas on the 2nd wave.

I know NECA said they may make a Gorilla 3-pack of all three variations of the soldier from the TV series, and I sure hope this proves to be profitable for them so they make a three pack of Galen, Burke & Virdon too.

Anyone know if NECA is happy with the response of the classic series?

Cheers mate and I'll be looking forward to seeing your ape structures and yeah I hope they do Galen, Burke & Virdon as well.

Hemble, is the Perspex clear?

It is and I just picked it's they got the measurements wrong which isn't going to be a major issue, I'll just have to clean the shelves up and attach the perspex.

Ron

I have to go back and watch POTA again to see the difference in Dr. Zaius outfits from Series one and two. I don’t remember when he had the long coat and short. Deciding if I was to get the figure to open (I have one MOC) which version I would like. Series one already looks fantastic. Hopefully Series 2 is at par and does not fall the same way as Rambo…

I have to go back and watch POTA again to see the difference in Dr. Zaius outfits from Series one and two. I don’t remember when he had the long coat and short. Deciding if I was to get the figure to open (I have one MOC) which version I would like. Series one already looks fantastic. Hopefully Series 2 is at par and does not fall the same way as Rambo…

He wears the long coat thru most of the first film. At the end of POTA he has on the short coat at the beach scene. In beneath he wears the long coat in the beginning, and then thru the rest of the film hes in the short coat.

Actually Dr. Zaius wears a third outfit in Beneath. Once he marching into the Forbidden Zone with Ursus, he wears an outfit with glyphs running down both sleeves. I call it his "Armageddon Garb".

I'm hoping that NECA gets around to doing that outfit since it is my favorite... the more glyphs the better. Of course not any time soon... they already have a fair share of Zaiuses sculpted. Time to spread the wealth.

Yeah, the absence of a bandolier, again, troubles me. But I'm fairly confident that it will have one when he is released.

This sort of came out of nowhere. How come we didn't get any Monkey Monday updates on this guy?

I had a hunch they would do a mego gorilla. Looks alright, though if it doesn't have a bandolier count me out.

What does NECA have against bandoliers now? First the 2 pack now this retro fig!!!! J/k if I had to choose though I would rather have the 2 pack come with bandoliers.

I like the retro style gorilla it looks like they enlarge the gloves/hands, boots, head and rifle from the 7"and added a cloth uniform. I'll buy it when it comes out and if it deosn't come with a bandolier I'll just make one.

Ron

Back