NECA: Home Alone Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am kinda of interested in this. I love me some Home Alone. But damn I never thought I'd see this being made into figures.

I love the first movie, like the second, didn't care for the others. I can't wait for NECA to release three or four Kevins, all with fixed legs. And then five years from now, release an "Ultimate Kevin McCallister" with thigh and knee articulation.

:lol :lol :lol That will so happen. We need to bookmark this quote when it does.

The lisence makes sense the movie is right on the nail of the demographic for us 80s and 90s nostalgia collectors and has stood the test of time for multiple generations since.

It's no weirder a lisence than any single other thing we collect! If you think you're less weird for buying a terminator an alien or an avenger or even a godfather you're wrong!
For a line of action figures though this is a pretty obscure license to pick up. Figures from franchises with large built-in fanbases in genres like sci-fi, horror, superhero, and etc. are always going to sell. You just don't see many figures based on family comedies though. Plus I don't see how far this line can really go. Kevin, Marv, and Harry are all I can see realistically being made.

I would say Home Alone would now be considered a cult Christmas movie, much like A Christmas Story. So I can see NECA releasing a few of the figures, like they did with A Christmas Story. Although, A Christmas Story is waaaay better than Home Alone and has more interesting characters. Didn't NECA make figures from Christmas Vacation too, or am I thinking of something else? At any rate, NECA prides itself on obscure licenses. I'm surprised it took this long for Home Alone to get some attention.

The lisence makes sense the movie is right on the nail of the demographic for us 80s and 90s nostalgia collectors and has stood the test of time for multiple generations since.

It's no weirder a lisence than any single other thing we collect! If you think you're less weird for buying a terminator an alien or an avenger or even a godfather you're wrong!
Well it actually is much weirder because there's no geek connection to this at all. No sci-fi or adventure element. Only action, if you imagine 3 Stooges-lite comedy as action. It doesn't hold up to critical adult scrutiny of the film, so it doesn't succeed on the level that, say, Ghostbusters does in that sense. It wasn't connected to any other major kids' property that could help to maintain some interest like Ninja Turtles or Batman. And it was about a million miles away from a great film like the Godfather. I'm sure many of us do remember this from when it came out. It was a huge movie at the time, but I don't know of many, or really any people that it really stuck with or grew on. It was one of those things that kids watched and then forgot about, unlike your Terminators and whatnot.

However, I'm sure NECA and other companies have found some level of success doing collectibles of movies like A Christmas Story, and that's probably a reasonable comparison here for the kind of market for this thing. Probably a dirt cheap license, no other real collectibles to compete with from this film, and a small but fervent group who have nostalgia for crappy Christmas comedies from their childhood. Hell, I would be interested to see someone go after Santa Claus: the Movie! :lol But there is no comparison between this and Terminator or Predator or whatever.

:lol :lol :lol That will so happen. We need to bookmark this quote when it does.

:hi5:

Though I'm led to believe this will be a MEGO-style figure, meaning a cloth sweater and pants for Kevin. It's a style I don't care for, not to mention it'll be out of scale with the rest of NECA's 7-inch figures. Guess Kevin won't be fighting the Jungle Hunter Predator after all. :(

18311c75ba143891e5e47a9f086a27a0.jpg

I remember the Kevin figure from back in the day, there was a also a soft toy Kevin and those never sold too well, so its a odd choice of licence, that said I'm interested in seeing these.

'We're the wet bandits!' :panic:

Just so much fun with these figures and I just love the fact that they take me back to my childhood. Sometimes this hobby is just so simple and nit-picking and what not goes right out of the window. Well done NECA.

To be honest I will take them at this scale.

I thought (custom figures aside) that I would have had a quiet year this year but not anymore thanks to the reveals at SDCC. :slap

Back