NECA: Alien Movie Franchise Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaching out to the UK collectors on here - any recommendations on where I can pre-order a single Brett? I usually use Comics & Cocktails (I've already ordered Parker from them) but they're sold out on Brett. As far as I can see the remaining usual UK suppliers are only offering the 3-pack as a fixed bundle. The only other UK place I can currently offering Brett on his own is a site called Figureland, who I've never even heard of before. Anyone know they're OK, or have any other recommendations?
Thanks in advance!

Hi mate, I usually go via Amazon because I'm a prime member and never have a quibble on returns, and I have a lot of returns with NECA :gah:

Hi mate, I usually go via Amazon because I'm a prime member and never have a quibble on returns, and I have a lot of returns with NECA :gah:

Thanks, can?t see him on there yet, I guess I could just sweat it out and hope he appears on release, I just don?t want to risk missing out.
I might just pre-order with that Figureland site, it looks like they take PayPal so at worst I should get my money back...

Got the new Ripley and Dallas yesterday (ebay)

my quick pros and cons

pros
- Ripley's new accessories are great to have and beautifully detailed, the cat carrier in particular is cool
- clean paint - well, one of my Ripley's has a couple of dots on her cheek but it's not like we're seeing widespread **** ups in general on these

cons
- packaging is alright, a bit flimsy though like it will tear and curl easily.
- twisty ties around Ripley's lower legs do NOT get my approval - a recipe for bow-leggedness right there, the two that I bought may have slight cases of this
- NECA patented one leg longer than the other is present with Ripley - but it's subtle, unlike say T2 Sarah.
- Ripley's headsculpt - Toyark guy criticized the mouth - I think the mouth is fine, problem is the cheekbones and the eyes giving it the plastic surgery gone wrong look
- Ripley could have done with alternate tight-grip hands for the cat carrier and motion detector, NECA not great with alternate hand options generally
- the Weyland Yutani badge on Ripley's chest is unpainted

So my con list outweighs my pro list BUT that's really only because we've gotten these two before. If these were the first ever releases of Ripley and Dallas I'd be gushing about how awesome it is to have them and my excitement would easily overwhelm any disappointments. I will be much more enthusiastic from wave 2 onwards - unless QC takes some massive hit.

I think the only advantage the new Ripley might have over the old one is the hair. The old headsculpt was streets ahead, the flatter finish to the jumpsuit on the old figure is obviously better than the weird shine on the new figure's jumpsuit, and they painted that damn badge.

Oh yeah, you're right about the shine. That seems to be a pattern with rereleased figures. It was the same with the Ultimate T-1000. Almost like they're saying 'see? ''new'', shiny'

I think the only advantage the new Ripley might have over the old one is the hair. The old headsculpt was streets ahead, the flatter finish to the jumpsuit on the old figure is obviously better than the weird shine on the new figure's jumpsuit, and they painted that damn badge.

Apart from the new accessories obviously the only other improvement id add is the lighter shirt/sneakers as the older figure had grey ones whereas the new ones are pure white which if you look at promotional photos is closer. I managed with a little heat to swap the sneakers over before i gave the figure to a friend as i only wanted the new accessories. The only problem then is the shirt but you cant have everything and i think the sneakers are more noticeable.

ss2904863_-_veronica_cartwright_as_lambert_ian_holm_as_ash_john_hurt_as_kane_yaphet_kotto_as_parker_tom_skerritt_as_dallas_harry_dea_stanton_as_brett_sigourney_weaver_as_riple__57107__51680.1394492398.jpg

If the gloss finish on figures bothers you (i hate it), may i suggest getting a hobby spray paint can of lacquer clear coat - flat or lusterless or matte finish. Lightly spraying them down with a couple coats makes a lot more details stand out and, in my opinion, can really elevate the presentation of the figure. You kind of can't screw it up. I like to use a fine brush to apply a brush-on gloss clear coat to the eyes, but i hear floor polish works well too. Model Masters lusterless is awesome, Testors' dullcote is crumby, Tamiya's is very good.

Just stay away from enamels, i've regularly had that type of paint react with action figure plastics and never dry. Acrylics are water based and a lot easier to work with.

I found out wave 1 is showing up in Targets right now, I just got back from my closest Target and they had them out. They had 3 Ripley's, 2 Dallas, and 1 Prototype suit Alien. I picked up a Ripley and Dallas, sadly all of the boxes were pretty crushed and creased and I wanted doubles of those 2 because I love the packaging, so I hope they release them online and I get nicer boxes than the ones I have now.

I find it weird that they haven't put them up online yet.

Got the new Ripley and Dallas yesterday (ebay)

my quick pros and cons

pros
- Ripley's new accessories are great to have and beautifully detailed, the cat carrier in particular is cool
- clean paint - well, one of my Ripley's has a couple of dots on her cheek but it's not like we're seeing widespread **** ups in general on these

cons
- packaging is alright, a bit flimsy though like it will tear and curl easily.
- twisty ties around Ripley's lower legs do NOT get my approval - a recipe for bow-leggedness right there, the two that I bought may have slight cases of this
- NECA patented one leg longer than the other is present with Ripley - but it's subtle, unlike say T2 Sarah.
- Ripley's headsculpt - Toyark guy criticized the mouth - I think the mouth is fine, problem is the cheekbones and the eyes giving it the plastic surgery gone wrong look
- Ripley could have done with alternate tight-grip hands for the cat carrier and motion detector, NECA not great with alternate hand options generally
- the Weyland Yutani badge on Ripley's chest is unpainted

So my con list outweighs my pro list BUT that's really only because we've gotten these two before. If these were the first ever releases of Ripley and Dallas I'd be gushing about how awesome it is to have them and my excitement would easily overwhelm any disappointments. I will be much more enthusiastic from wave 2 onwards - unless QC takes some massive hit.

Nice review, I agree with your last viewpoint there.
The badge being unpainted is the only thing that really bothers me. I do wish that Ripley's face was better, but overall I'm happy to have them. If you have a chance to look at multiple in store be sure to check out Dallas eyes, the other one I passed on looked off.

I don't see the difference in the Dallas figures on the ToyArk site. I'll grab the new Ripley 'cause I have no restraint and blow my money at any opportunity.

Just received the first wave and i'm pleasantly surprised. They all look great.
Ripley is so much better in person that i may actually prefer her to the first version, not only for the better paint application which compensate a bit for the inferior sculpt, i haven't realized until now that her hair are also pretty different, noticeable sculpt improvement when they're side by side.
The new accessories are just awesome and insanely detailed for this scale and i much prefer this version of Jonesy (my favourite one is still Space Suit version, but paint app on this one is incredible considering the scale, maybe i've got a very good one but it honestly looked like an Enterbay or Hot Toys piece in person, the eyes amazed me). But the Jumpsuit is downgraded unfortunately and not only for the lack of painted badge (which you can always hide with the flamethrower strap), color and especially finish are also preferable on the first version imo.

Same for Dallas actually, he looked so awfully glossy in pics but it's not that noticeable at all in person (still, matte FTW), the suit in general is better painted and i love the additional colored details and upgraded name tag.
Overall, i feel he is better than the first version but there's still downgrades, such as the cap being one main color instead of two and the lack of visible pink portion in the upper part of the suit. Also the material used for the 'glass' dome looks a bit more opaque, i'd say it's more screen accurate now but from a distance i think i prefer the old one as it pops more. No sticky paint whatsoever thankfully, a huge problem on earlier colored versions of this suit (Dallas and Kane, Lambert was perfect and that matte finish on her still looks amazing).

Never had the Alien prototype version before but i like this new one, materials feel great in hand, good paint app and it really is traslucent. I've never been the biggest fan of NECA Big Chaps displayed next to the Kotobukiya, but this is a welcome addition.

The new packages are lovely.

All in all i'm very happy with them (got an absolutely perfect bunch, as usual with Cosmic Group imported pieces), now i can't ****ing wait for Brett, Parker, Ash and the new Kane (and then regular versions of him, Dallas and Lambert), and the Diorama which i hope is still happening.
Then the Alien line will be finally on par with the Aliens one.. speaking of which, where's my Apone and swappable heads Gorman and Drake? And Ferro, and Spunkmeyer, and Dietrich, and Wierzbowski and Crowe? And Hicks headset and BD versions? And APC and diorama pieces? Still so much to do!

I asked about Gorman on twitter the other day but no response. He's my next most wanted Aliens character (assuming Drake is still being made). I don't see a lack of desire to make him considering they made Burke - the most untoyetic character in the movie - but maybe William Hope isn't easy to reach or wouldn't be interested. He doesn't seem to do the conventions/anniversary celebrations like so many of the other cast - 'too good to eat with the rest of the grunts'?

But yeah 'any and all + variants' is my general attitude for human characters from these films.

I asked about Gorman on twitter the other day but no response. He's my next most wanted Aliens character (assuming Drake is still being made). I don't see a lack of desire to make him considering they made Burke - the most untoyetic character in the movie - but maybe William Hope isn't easy to reach or wouldn't be interested. He doesn't seem to do the conventions/anniversary celebrations like so many of the other cast.

But yeah 'any and all + variants' is my general attitude for human characters from these films.

I met William Hope at the London Comic Con in 2018. He was really nice and happy to chat about Aliens and his portrayal of Gorman for a solid 10 minutes (he fortunately had no queue at that time as most attendees seemed to be getting lunch, he did have a long queue earlier so still some Gorman fans out there haha). He still has a lot of love for the movie and character so I don't see him being a road block to his figure being made.

He had some interesting things to say about the Gorman character. He liked that Cameron gave him in an onscreen journey from a green by the book, entitled officer in the beginning to a more rounded soldier, trusting his instincts, recognising his own unsuitability for command (qualities that he eventually saw in Ripley) and a team player by the end. He said that whilst all the other actors who played the marines trained for weeks together before the shoot (except Biehn who arrived late to replace James Remar) he was kept entirely separate from them so that onscreen they would retain all that natural chemistry and camaraderie of the experience whereas he was new to them and outside of that bubble.

I agree Gorman is a must. He is one of the main secondary characters (in my opinion) and key to having the full operations crew (we even have the sentry guns and Burke haha!). Whilst less toyetic (maybe) than Frost and Drake he is more important to the movie (and has far more screen time and lines) than either of them.

Cool story Bravomite! No, really, I'm not doing the sarcastic dismissal thing. Glad to hear he's as proud of being in the film as the others. I've just never seen him in the youtube videos I've watched of cast get-togethers.

Ideally Gorman could be made with requisite switch-out parts to cover the whole film - unless NECA would be willing or find it more financially viable to do a separate variant figure.

If they don't do a Gorman figure, I doubt it will be because Hope is hard to reach. He is very much still out there and working. A lot of it is voicework these days, but he is still very active. I bet he and his agent would be interested in all types of opportunities.

As for his prominence with the convention scene, as mentioned above, he does them. He just seems to only do ones near where he lives in England. Maybe the north American events don't think he is a big enough name to justify the cost of flying him in? Same with Colette Hiller (Ferro). They are the only 2 living cast members I have never met because they never seem to do events outside of Europe.

Very interesting story Bravomite, thanks for sharing. Gorman is my most wanted as well.. well, outside of Drake, and Apone.. and Ferro. Damn, i just want them all.
But i really think NECA could figure things out, beetween single slots in different Series, special Packs and figures accompanying diorama pieces or bases or whatnot, i feel they'll find a way to give us what we want. After Burke and Newt, which are possibly my favourites, i need the complete collection.

No, really, I'm not doing the sarcastic dismissal thing.
I don't think it was necessary to clarify a-dev, based on this Thread you come off as the nicest person on the internet. :lol
And your movie quotes made this Thread.

If they don't do a Gorman figure, I doubt it will be because Hope is hard to reach. He is very much still out there and working. A lot of it is voicework these days, but he is still very active. I bet he and his agent would be interested in all types of opportunities.

As for his prominence with the convention scene, as mentioned above, he does them. He just seems to only do ones near where he lives in England. Maybe the north American events don't think he is a big enough name to justify the cost of flying him in? Same with Colette Hiller (Ferro). They are the only 2 living cast members I have never met because they never seem to do events outside of Europe.

I googled him and sure enough it brought up pics of him at European conventions.

He was only 31 in 1986. I would have a thought a Marine core leader ought to be older and so I simply assumed he was older than that but of course the whole point was that this guy was promoted to his position too early. I love the arc he has.

Very interesting story Bravomite, thanks for sharing. Gorman is my most wanted as well.. well, outside of Drake, and Apone.. and Ferro. Damn, i just want them all.
But i really think Neca could figure things out, beetween single slots in different Series, special Packs and figures accompanying diorama pieces or bases or whatnot, i feel they'll find a way to give us what we want. After Burke and Newt, which are possibly my favourites, i need the complete collection.

I'm still optimistic they'll make whoever they can and the only thing that might put a halt to it is if too many of these human figures bomb at retail.

In an ideal world we'll end up with the full casts of Alien and Aliens

In a slightly less ideal world we'll end up with generic face stand-ins (but accurate bodies and outfits) for whoever's likeness they can't use.

I don't think it was necessary to clarify a-dev, based on this Thread you come off as the nicest person on the internet. :lol
And your movie quotes made this Thread.

:duff

Damn nice of you to say that sir.

That Alien looks.. oh well, they gave us Brett, Parker, Ash, Kane and Egg, Facehugger and Chestbuster. I can't complain in the slightest, they can do whatever they want.

In an ideal world we'll end up with the full casts of Alien and Aliens
Of the first no doubt.. but full cast of Aliens?
Between nurses and doctors, Leuwen, white collars, Simpson and Lydecker, Newt's brother and parents etc. etc. that would be pure insanity..
Even if, to be honest, i'd buy Newt family. And now that i think about it, i want a Daihotai Tractor so bad. To be even more honest, i'd probably buy the entire cast for real. :lol
Too bad these things will never happen.

In a slightly less ideal world we'll end up with generic face stand-ins (but accurate bodies and outfits) for whoever's likeness they can't use.
I'd prefer a million times official likeness, but i'd be still totally okay with the Kenner Apone head for example, just put a cigar in his mouth, helmet on his head and we're done. Drake would never work for me with the Kenner head, but for Ferro for instance they could hide her behind her glasses.. i mean, it could be done. But still, hope they'll go the official route for as long as they can.

Damn nice of you to say that sir.

You gave me good chuckles, fine gentlemen.

Back