NECA: Alien Movie Franchise Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Art FX is a fantastic piece, but in terms of accuracy the MAFEX is the most erm... accurate. The head, dome and body shape are a little off on the Art FX. Apparently they were both done by the same artist a certain Mr Fumoto I think? If you had the paint job of the Art FX on the MAFEX and the dome on the Rambaldi head fit properly you'd have the ultimate A L I E N figure.

Thank you for the hint. Im going to order an Mafex version of it. It is in stock at amazon at the moment. This piece of art looks so beautiful. :clap

images.jpg

Okay the mouth is pretty accurate but the neck and the single ?hhh middle thing is a little to short and just look for yourself.

Thank you for the hint. Im going to order an Mafex version of it. It is in stock at amazon at the moment. This piece of art looks so beautiful. :clap

View attachment 482778

Okay the mouth is pretty accurate but the neck and the single ?hhh middle thing is a little to short and just look for yourself.

It's a great figure, I hope you like it :)

That's the Rambaldi head on the figure. The Giger head is pretty accurate to the photo. You're right about the middlle thingy (it looks kinda like a tongue?). It does look a wee bit short.

It's a great figure, I hope you like it :)

That's the Rambaldi head on the figure. The Giger head is pretty accurate to the photo. You're right about the middlle thingy (it looks kinda like a tongue?). It does look a wee bit short.

I've just had a futz with mine and you can get the angle of the thingy to look like the photo.

View attachment 482169
View attachment 482170
View attachment 482171
View attachment 482172

There are really some small sculpt differences
The cheeks
The chin
the lips
the dome edge on on the lips (this could be a quality issue )
The bright tongue is more movie accurate but looks a little to off
They have should make it slimy a little transluzent, shiny
in that way they made the incredible newborn skin
View attachment 482173

Is it me or are the ribs different on these?

Is it me or are the ribs different on these?

I was so wrong ^^
I have checked my figures again in real not on the photos.

They differ in paint job and in quality. Thats all.
BUT NO RESCULPT. Im sorry for the wrong informations!

How about another repaint neca?

bigchap.jpg

Suppose I'll throw an Alien Day prediction out there - the Nostromo Corridor diorama that was at SDCC - maybe that will be shown and solicited.

I think it'll be something we've already seen (albeit not in great closeup detail in the case of the corridor diorama) and I don't think they'll skip ahead to what may be coming in 2021, they'll probably stick with the Alien 40th anniversary.

Actually seems it's just in-package shots of wave one of the 40th anniversary collection, Ripley, Spacesuit Dallas and prototype Alien...which I still haven't been able to order anywhere. Is it a store exclusive wave? First I've heard of this.

The first wave is Target exclusive. The second wave is online retailer and specialty store exclusive. Then the third wave will be Walmart exclusive. No idea why they?re being done this way.

The first wave is Target exclusive. The second wave is online retailer and specialty store exclusive. Then the third wave will be Walmart exclusive. No idea why they?re being done this way.

Neca must really like scavenger hunts

So, since this is a slow day at the (home) office, just for the hell of it, here's a few pics of the evolution of Giger's alien in figure form.
Decided to go with just one scale, so no Revoltechs (actually, I already sold mine off), no Mafex (that one's at my home, so no joy) and no Kotobukiya (also at home and technically a statue)...

No filters, no effects, just my trusty old iPhone and natural daylight.

First off, Aoshima's effort. It was quite nice actually, came disassembled in a nice box, had a base, an egg and you could get either with a face hugger or chestburster, if I'm not mistaken. They also made two Aliens versions and some Nostromo crew with the pressure suits.

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

It had some very interesting design features, like some extra articulation in the chest to allow for some shoulder movement, as well as the first time I saw articulated toes in that scale. But it did look a bit odd. Still does...

Next up Macfarlane's attempt. This is the original MM5 that came in the boxed set with the Predator. It's also the first version with the lever for the "tongue action" under the skull.
I still really like the paint apps. They don't show too well in photos, but the translucent effect with metallic highlights and the orange specks looks great in person.

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

The sculpt itself is nice, with great detailing. Shame it doesn't really look like Giger's creature. And it really only works as a statue; as soon as you try to pose it, the cut joints become glaringly obvious.

From here on it's all NECA.
Starting with their first attempt.
I remember talking a lot with Tankman when he was sculpting this, and giving him feedback and sharing reference pics. It was a great time! I suppose that excitement made me blind to some of the more obvious shortcomings of the sculpt...

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

Still, it had some very cool features, like the hinged jaw, and the sculpting was (is) so crisp! The plastic is also way harder, not the soft stuff NECA uses nowadays. I also like the paint apps... not terribly accurate, but they do look cleaner and nicer than their latter version.

On to v2.0
I also kept in touch with Kyle while he was working on this one, and I remember how excited he was to be revisiting the sculpt. He was pretty merciless in his own critique, and rightly proud (IMHO) of the new figure.

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

Except for the quality of the plastic used, basically everything was better in this new version: the sculpt, the proportions, the articulation and, arguably, the paint apps. Too bad that stuck joints and poor QC usually messed up what should've been a close to perfect figure.
BTW, I heated up the legs to give them that characteristic look of Bolaji Badejo's legs (incidentally, heating them up also allowed me fix the length of the right leg).

Last edited:
And finally, NECA's prototype suit figure.
I think this is actually a v2.1, because the mouth and teeth are slightly different. The dome also comes down farther in the front, covering the tubing above the lips.
As a matter of fact, it's my favourite "head sculpt" of NECA's aliens.

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

You can't tell because of the pose, but on this one the right leg sticks out a bit at the hip, which makes it a tad longer than the left one. I'll do the heating up trick on this one as well. And maybe someday I'll get the nerve to have this repainted. Seems perfect, as the suit that Giger worked on was actually this same color.

The McFarlane was my first. It's one I'll eventually display again along with the Predator from that set - for the toy historical aspect. Wish I'd kept the packaging for that reason. That's the problem with attic purges - you never know what you'll later wish you kept but if you allow that to stop you throwing stuff away you risk being one of those most extreme of hoarders.

Back