NECA 7" Michael Keaton Batman (Movie Version) Figure!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No no, I was talking about the Hot toys DX 09 89 Batman… Sorry haha. Its true.

Yes I've had it in my hands, and have customized it aswell. I could only help it so much though…

You have to realize this is coming from someone who is **** about detail and accuracy though haha, especially with the 89 Batman. The hot toys figure couldn't have missed the mark more in my opinion, and it aggravates me that some people call it a masterpiece of 1:6 scale.

The cowl shape is all wrong. The mouth opening is completely wrong, the texture of the cowl is wrong(its only suppose to be rough at the BOTTOM) the eyeholes are far too big, theres no seam in the back of the neck, the ears are "batman returns" ears, and thats JUST the cowl! The emblem is too big and the bat is shaped wrong. The armor is wrong. the belt is the wrong COLOR! The muscle layout is off but the texture is what ruins it completely. Its supposed to be smooooooth, as NECA did it. The cape was god awful, but NECA didn't do any better as far as thats concerned. The figure had an entire rubber body suit (all with the same cement like texture mind you) and that also makes the figures proportions extremely wrong and fat looking, which he is not suppose to be. Ill give Hot toys the Shoulders, because thats where NECAs sculpt lacked. He should have bulkier shoulders overall. But the proportions of the NECA sculpt are otherwise spot on. Keaton is a lanky, smaller man, and thats why his head is so big with the cowl on, and NECA captured that perfectly. Keaton DID look like that. if you want to call it "ridiculous" then thats fine. removing the "imperfections" is the wrong way to go about it, and is just flat out lazy. The imperfections are what make the 89 suit and character special.

Yes, the DX09 is a cool interpretation, but if your looking for accuracy in a figure, its one of contemporary Hot Toys WORST. Don't get me started on the "battle damage" ketchup squirt mouth, hahaha.

All that said, its really the only hot toys figure I've disliked so much. Their Joker is friggin awesome, and I pretty much love their work otherwise. I am a stickler for the details of the 1989 Batman and NECA completely tore apart Hot Toys with both their 18in and 7in.

Hot Toys

+ looks more like Keaton (better likeness)
+ nicely sculpted belt
+ more weapons and gadgets
+ convincing eyes (beautiful paintwork all around)
+ loads of options

- PERS plate on the back of the head
- one piece, restrictive rubber suit
- fat looking proportions in retrospective
- pointless ketchup on mouth face plate
- idealized, textured sculpt (cement as TWayne puts it)

NECA Batman

+ real mask fit over a Bruce Wayne sculpt (ingenious)
+ realistic head sculpt
+ Perfectly sculpted chest/ab armor (most accurate one I've seen)
+ nice two-tone finish on gloves and boots
+ better sculpted boots (Hot Toys looks soft)

- mediocre paint apps
- elongated torso
- belt connected to trunks (if we're talking about the 7" version)
- fabric cape
- fragile joints and the elbows and knees

I own both, I like both. They're both nice representations of Batman from the first film. Both have their problems but both are some of my favorite figures in their respective scales/price formats.

If Hot Toys and NECA son how combined their ideas and designs into one Batman figure, it'd be perfect.

Also, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone on here.

Last edited:
I received my first NECA figure, today, in the form of the 8-bit Batman. Now, I'm more tempted than ever to grab that movie promo version. I had a question, though. Were the eBay/Go Hastings Blu-Rays the same as the Toys 'R' Us versions, or were they the actual Deluxe "Diamond" Editions from the pics?

No no, I was talking about the Hot toys DX 09 89 Batman… Sorry haha. Its true.

Yes I've had it in my hands, and have customized it aswell. I could only help it so much though…

You have to realize this is coming from someone who is **** about detail and accuracy though haha, especially with the 89 Batman. The hot toys figure couldn't have missed the mark more in my opinion, and it aggravates me that some people call it a masterpiece of 1:6 scale.

The cowl shape is all wrong. The mouth opening is completely wrong, the texture of the cowl is wrong(its only suppose to be rough at the BOTTOM) the eyeholes are far too big, theres no seam in the back of the neck, the ears are "batman returns" ears, and thats JUST the cowl! The emblem is too big and the bat is shaped wrong. The armor is wrong. the belt is the wrong COLOR! The muscle layout is off but the texture is what ruins it completely. Its supposed to be smooooooth, as NECA did it. The cape was god awful, but NECA didn't do any better as far as thats concerned. The figure had an entire rubber body suit (all with the same cement like texture mind you) and that also makes the figures proportions extremely wrong and fat looking, which he is not suppose to be. Ill give Hot toys the Shoulders, because thats where NECAs sculpt lacked. He should have bulkier shoulders overall. But the proportions of the NECA sculpt are otherwise spot on. Keaton is a lanky, smaller man, and thats why his head is so big with the cowl on, and NECA captured that perfectly. Keaton DID look like that. if you want to call it "ridiculous" then thats fine. removing the "imperfections" is the wrong way to go about it, and is just flat out lazy. The imperfections are what make the 89 suit and character special.

Yes, the DX09 is a cool interpretation, but if your looking for accuracy in a figure, its one of contemporary Hot Toys WORST. Don't get me started on the "battle damage" ketchup squirt mouth, hahaha.

All that said, its really the only hot toys figure I've disliked so much. Their Joker is friggin awesome, and I pretty much love their work otherwise. I am a stickler for the details of the 1989 Batman and NECA completely tore apart Hot Toys with both their 18in and 7in.

yo-dawg-we-heard-you-have-autism-so-we-put-flashing-lights-and-a-bubble-column-in-your-trunk.jpg

Well that was uncalled for.

Anywho. Got to finally open this figure today, and I'm blown away. He just might be my favorite figure of the year (or at least tied with the neca gorilla soldier).
Everything is awesome. Articulation, sculpt, accessories, all of it. The cape could be better sure, but at least it's not fraying or falling apart. It's tailored really well, I love how natural it looks on him. Proportions seem fine imo, the head is just right. I only have to make a tiny touch up to his bat symbol which was painted just a hair off. Both knees and his left shoulder were stuck solid when I opened him, but hot water applied from the faucet was able free them up no problem. It's been a really long time since I've owned a batman figure (over 15 years at least), and I have to say this one is outstanding.

^Dang. If you're a stickler for minutia then the DX08 is riddled with inaccuracies compared to the DX09.

Im more of a stickler over Batman, Compared to Joker. He's more distractingly wrong. I don't mind their joker as much. Im passionate about batman.

Hot Toys

+ looks more like Keaton (better likeness)
+ nicely sculpted belt
+ more weapons and gadgets
+ convincing eyes (beautiful paintwork all around)
+ loads of options

- PERS plate on the back of the head
- one piece, restrictive rubber suit
- fat looking proportions in retrospective
- pointless ketchup on mouth face plate
- idealized, textured sculpt (cement as TWayne puts it)

NECA Batman

+ real mask fit over a Bruce Wayne sculpt (ingenious)
+ realistic head sculpt
+ Perfectly sculpted chest/ab armor (most accurate one I've seen)
+ nice two-tone finish on gloves and boots
+ better sculpted boots (Hot Toys looks soft)

- mediocre paint apps
- elongated torso
- belt connected to trunks (if we're talking about the 7" version)
- fabric cape
- fragile joints and the elbows and knees

I own both, I like both. They're both nice representations of Batman from the first film. Both have their problems but both are some of my favorite figures in their respective scales/price formats.

If Hot Toys and NECA some how combined their ideas and designs into one Batman figure, it'd be perfect.

I would disagree on you with some of those points. and still give the upper hand to NECA despite their production problems. The Neca figure has "loads of options" as well. I wouldn't say the torso on the NECA is elongated either. same with the belt, its nicely sculpted too, along with actually being the right color. For the price and production, they make the Hot Toys Batman look silly. The only major glaring problem I have with NECA is the terrible cape. If your comparing the 7 inch figure to the hot toys, then its an automatic win for NECA due to the detail they manage to pull off in such a scale. I agree with you on the HT eyes, of course. The face on the HT looks more like Keaton yes, but the total inaccuracy of the mask ruins the look. I mean, its perfect if you ever wanted to know what Keaton would look like with a Batman Forever Panther suit mask on. The cowl is what completely ruins the DX09 for me. It could have been passable if it had a decent cowl sculpt. thats where NECA really hit it out of the park on their sculpt, along with their PERFECT armor details and full Keaton head.

Im more of a stickler over Batman, Compared to Joker. He's more distractingly wrong. I don't mind their joker as much. Im passionate about batman.

Ah, ok. Joker's flaws are a bit more obvious to me. Batman isn't perfect but there's nothing but the restricted articulation that bothers me about him.

This little 7" Neca figure is awesome for its scale and they did a wonderful job in many areas on it but for overall realism and shelf presence HT DX09 takes the cake.

For me, HT's Joker was a QC nightmare that tainted me, to offset the costs of Nicholson's portrait they didn't give the production their best effort, mine and main others suffered horrible tailoring flaws that were substandard for HT at the time. I returned mine when Sideshow more or less said tough luck no replacement and I lost all interest after that.

DX09 Batman was another case, I sold it cuz I needed money and it was a guaranteed sale but it was one of the most satisfying figures I've ever owned, it may not be 100% spot on to the movie, but it captured him the way I remember him when I think of the movie and took me back to childhood and that's what all this is about so for me it was perfection.

This NECA does the same, I'm bummed about the cloth cape and really hope to at least get the 18" NECA for a better version if I can never get DX09 again, but it still evokes the same feelings even with the issues. It's one of the most enjoyable 7" figures I've ever gotten from NECA.

I checked my Toys R Us yesterday, there's nothing about this figure or the blu-ray deal. It's weird.

Just preordered the DX14 Mime Jack Nicholson Joker figure from Sideshow. He was on sale for only $206, which is awesome! I totally missed out on the DX08 and definitely don't have the money right now to track him down. It says he's supposed to ship in January. Are the doing one last re-release for him? I just found it weird that he was a preorder like that since he's been out for a while now. Either way, I am stoked. Any of you guys have him? If so, are you pleased with him?

Just preordered the DX14 Mime Jack Nicholson Joker figure from Sideshow. He was on sale for only $206, which is awesome! I totally missed out on the DX08 and definitely don't have the money right now to track him down. It says he's supposed to ship in January. Are the doing one last re-release for him? I just found it weird that he was a preorder like that since he's been out for a while now. Either way, I am stoked. Any of you guys have him? If so, are you pleased with him?

A PO on him? Reissue?

Got him for $140 on Black Friday.

I think you might have been posting in the wrong thread man...

Sallah

Back