NECA 7" Michael Keaton Batman (Movie Version) Figure!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the comments, guys.

I forgot to include a factor that trumps both distribution and the ability to produce dozens of figures at one time, money.
The last DC master license that Mattel paid WB was rumored to be a multi-million dollar deal. WB wins both upfront with millions in their bank account and wins again with a percentage of every figure sold by Mattel.
NECA, again, could never produce that type of capital for a front-loaded multi-million dollar contract. I'm certain NECA's president and Randy both know this unfortunate truth. Still, they work hard and find loop-holes like the blu-ray combo or largely obscure scales like 1/4 to give us wonderful products.

Agreed... And that percentage on every figure may be what motivates them to make a move after the current deal runs through (if Mattel doesn't soar with BVS). Even if they don't pull it and send it over to another large toy company (like Playmates), that would still be a good motivation to do some restructuring on the licensing to allow more room for NECA to explore the adult market that Mattel has left behind. After all, Warner did it before when they freed up the Batman characters for DC Direct (hard to believe there was a time they couldn't touch the Bat-family...)....

Sallah

Exactly. We're just pointing out the prior and current factors that make WB sign off with Mattel. Still, it's WB's contract and stipulations so they can restructure the terms any way that they like. I think all we really need is someone at WB to take notice of the great work that NECA does. On NECA's end, Randy does a great job of highlighting the quality products they put out; it's WB that's relatively blind to it.

I do remember when Kenner had a lock on the Superman and Batman figure license in the early 2000s and DC Direct couldn't produce figures from their 2 main properties. The same thing happened for trading cards back in the late 80s and early 90s too.

Argh, the waiting!!! Can you believe I still don't have this guy yet?? Maybe another week or so to go.

Still paranoid about the symbol too. A lot of the ones posted here recently have been pretty good. Hope mine is good too....I'm a crap painter. I guess you'd have to paint the whole thing yellow and then do the black bat and oval right? No way I can do that cleanly. Ugh.

Argh, the waiting!!! Can you believe I still don't have this guy yet?? Maybe another week or so to go.

Still paranoid about the symbol too. A lot of the ones posted here recently have been pretty good. Hope mine is good too....I'm a crap painter. I guess you'd have to paint the whole thing yellow and then do the black bat and oval right? No way I can do that cleanly. Ugh.
If you pick up a cheap tube of yellow acrylic at Wal-Mart or wherever and some 90% rubbing alcohol, you can mess up and try again as many times as it takes without worrying. The alcohol takes the paint off easily. I would suggest "washing" the whole symbol with the yellow then taking a q-tip with alcohol to clean of the black part of the emblem.

Oh, and I can't recommend highly enough picking up a pair of "cheater" glasses for $5 at WM, DG or someplace. They've upped my game a tonski. :D

Non prescription corrective lenses. Basically magnifying glasses.

No problemo. I bought a pair when I had to start holding things further and further away to see them. They're just reading glasses but man they work great for detail painting.

This figure was revealed on November 21st and it was in people's hands a few weeks later. That's an AMAZING turnaround for a toy...almost unheard of. Usually we're waiting half a year to six months, or in the case of Hot Toys....YEEEEEEEAAAARS.

Well I'm still waiting on mine. My friend is returning to Japan in just a matter of days....I can't believe I'm finally gonna have a figure I've dreamed of for 25 years in just a few short days!!! This is freaking awesome!

Sorry. Just had to vent my unbridled giddiness!

The fast turn around was because of the figure being sold in a specific way, we'd have known about it sooner I'm sure if it were a normal release. NECA definitely had to be working on these for some time, though I'm sure with so many parts cast in black it was faster to make than figures with more complex paint apps.

I just hope that black plastic lasts a couple of years, especially the joints.

This was also the case with the recent Godzilla movie, Bandai had the master toy license for children-oriented products but NECA was granted a license for collector level. With the significant difference in figure quality and price point, I don't know why there isn't room for both to do figures, they're not really aiming for the same markets. TRU wanted like $10 for Mattel's 4" '89 figure, **** that, way overpriced for what you get, especially when just over double that gets you an amazing NECA and a Blu Ray.

NECA and Mattel are inherently two different types of companies. One is about the bottom line, the other is about making cool toys. Clearly one company is more passionate than the other in what they do. NECA however, as they grow, is finding out that business decisions do matter and they're taking a page out of Mattel's book all the while not wanting to "sell out."

Could Mattel make NECA quality figures and do a better job than NECA? Absolutely, they just don't need to because they are making a lot more money with their crappy 4" figures and that makes their stakeholders happy.

It wouldn't surprise me if NECA's quality drops in 2015 (as it has with a few things Aliens, Godzilla) and figures move to the $25 price range. They've slowly gone up from $15.99 to 19.99, don't think I haven't noticed.

FINALLY this bad boy will be in my hands in less than 24 hours. But I still don't know about the paint apps on the symbol. How can I possible sleep not knowing? Guess I'll drug myself or someting to pass the time

(obviously sarcasm but we collectors are one hell of an OCD lot aren't we?)

It wouldn't surprise me if NECA's quality drops in 2015 (as it has with a few things Aliens, Godzilla) and figures move to the $25 price range. They've slowly gone up from $15.99 to 19.99, don't think I haven't noticed.

I know NECA's had QC issues, but even high end companies like Hot Toys have them, but as far as overall figure quality, paint work, articulation, sculpts, NECA's come along way in the last 5 years and the price increase is justified in my book. For $16 you got figures that were more or less statues, for $19 you get super articulated figures that do an amazing job of balancing articulation and aesthetics and while figures are hit and miss for paint quality, which NECA's always been, overall, the quality of paint apps from NECA today are more advanced than they were in the $16 days. Their costs may have gone up but you at least get something for it too, unlike other companies who keep doing more or less the same thing and raising their prices astronomically.

When I first started collecting 150 years ago, you could find McF & Mezco, etc for $7.99! And NECA as low as $9.99 just a few years later. Ahh, those were the days. :D

Got my custom cape in today from Tony its amazing!!!

10891472_10152979313099346_3068182408569193973_n.jpg

1907929_10152979313289346_2886985519864447561_n.jpg

10540637_10152979313429346_1841801265792677435_n.jpg

10922862_10152979313519346_754843243335465671_n.jpg

10888372_10152979313609346_5276770233265616072_n.jpg

Back