NECA: 1/4 Marvel Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: NECA: 1/4 The Avengers

Still baffling why IM wasn't the first release, then Hulk, then Thor or Cap could be either or.

That's the way the character popularity has been pretty much judged from the movies.

I know Randy...he's a friend and if he says it's on the "to do" list, it is. That said, it only makes business sense and he can only get the higher-ups to provide the backing to a figure/project IF it warrants inclusion in a line and if fan $$ is there. I think with the popularity of the Avengers franchise, Hulk has a good chance of being made. That said, IF the Cap and IM and Thor don't do well (ie - people "wait" to get them or don't get them at all) they won't get to Hulk as the previous sales won't warrant it.

Look at the 1/4 scale LOTR line NECA did - they were great figures - Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas - I'd have killed for a Ringwraith, but - alas - sales of the previous three didn't warrant the line's continuation.

Sadly, that's what's happening with the Prometheus line now too; you have people asking for characters NECA can't or won't make unless the older lines sell better - and you have fans who complain "I want this figure," but they aren't willing to support the line as a whole and thus they cherry pick which leads to sup-expectation sales, thus not warranting the continuation of the line.

That's the twist of the knife for Randy too as he's a die-hard fan too and he'd love to get them all made...but it has to make financial sense...and knowing I and 5,000 other fans have to buy a figure we "sort of" want in order to get to a figure we "really" want...it's not a really popular idea for most people...

That's how business in general works and the sooner toy fans realize it and accept it, the better...

I take your point.. however that is also why sometimes the release order of figures can be a tad surprising, imho the Avengers figures could have released in the following order -

Thor
Iron Man
Hulk
Loki
Captain America
..with perhaps a more limited release of BW and Hawkeye as online specials.

.. and the Prometheus line is suffering because tbh, the figures are simply not that iconic.. which is not Neca's fault, Ridley Scott dropped the ball.. melonheaded wolfman Fifield, plastic faced Engineers, etc. are simply not in the same league as Giger's Xenomorph.. and I say that, despite liking the film.
I am presuming that Neca and other companies are invited to bid for these licenses before seeing the cinematic end result, since certain licenses are clearly more challenging when it comes to merchandising, than others.

I agree with you on the LOTR figures, I thought they were awesome and I'm surprised they didn't sell better (ok, the Legolas sculpt was maybe just a tiny, smidge off but still good).. and it is indeed a rather strange logic that some Toy fans hope to pick all their figures up from the bargain bucket, yet expect the lines to continue for 10 series.. and then have those same figures miraculously turn into hugely valuable rarities a year later.
.. and I'm guilty as charged, of only really wanting the Iron Man and Hulk figures, so I shall have to give myself a rather stern talking to.

Last edited:

Still baffling why IM wasn't the first release, then Hulk, then Thor or Cap could be either or.

That's the way the character popularity has been pretty much judged from the movies.

They had to start with the simpler characters or else they wouldn't be able to sell them if they came after the fact. I'm more surprised that IM came second. But I'm pretty sure they got a guy that thought it all out. Thus, making me think even more Hulk will be last.........ugh...

The NECA Captain just didnt impress me... and usually I love the NECA large figures. Their Gandalf is one of my favorites. I do however see myself getting the iron man.

I think releasing Captain America first and Iron Man second gives them a good idea of what the low and high end of the sales are. Captain America is probably one of the figures that would sell the least out of the 4 main characters. Iron Man is the most popular character from the movie and you can tell by the fact that he is sold out at most websites where as Captain America is still available at retail prices. These sales number will give them an idea of how many figures of the Hulk they'll be able to sell.

They could have started with Thor but I feel like he would sell better than Captain America. They also probably thought that they could try to release Thor by the time his new movie comes out to cash in on extra demand. Captain America's new movie isn't till next year so its only reasonable to release him now to test the waters. Also Captain America is a lot easier to sculpt then Thor because we got a helmeted version. Thor's facial features would probably take a considerable amount of time to get just right if they wanted to make sure it looked good.

Hulk could be third but realistically is going to be last. The sales numbers from Thor would help provide some insight on how many Hulks will sell. They also have to figure out if it is possible to create a 2 feet Hulk that can still be sold at a profit within their given price range. In the end NECA is a company and they need to be able to make money to continue providing the collecting community quality figures on a lower price point. It would be great if they could create everything the fans wanted and still make a profit but in the end their primary goal is to make sure they are financially stable so that they can keep doing what they're great at, making great figures.

Non molded pants on Hulk please. They do that and, Hot Toys who?

Last edited:

I think releasing Captain America first and Iron Man second gives them a good idea of what the low and high end of the sales are. Captain America is probably one of the figures that would sell the least out of the 4 main characters. Iron Man is the most popular character from the movie and you can tell by the fact that he is sold out at most websites where as Captain America is still available at retail prices. These sales number will give them an idea of how many figures of the Hulk they'll be able to sell.

They could have started with Thor but I feel like he would sell better than Captain America. They also probably thought that they could try to release Thor by the time his new movie comes out to cash in on extra demand. Captain America's new movie isn't till next year so its only reasonable to release him now to test the waters. Also Captain America is a lot easier to sculpt then Thor because we got a helmeted version. Thor's facial features would probably take a considerable amount of time to get just right if they wanted to make sure it looked good.

Hulk could be third but realistically is going to be last. The sales numbers from Thor would help provide some insight on how many Hulks will sell. They also have to figure out if it is possible to create a 2 feet Hulk that can still be sold at a profit within their given price range. In the end NECA is a company and they need to be able to make money to continue providing the collecting community quality figures on a lower price point. It would be great if they could create everything the fans wanted and still make a profit but in the end their primary goal is to make sure they are financially stable so that they can keep doing what they're great at, making great figures.

:goodpost:

Excellent point..I hadn't thought of the possibility that Cap was testing the low end of the market.. I was working on a schedule of the new Thor film coming out this year.. Iron Man and Hulk being popular figures regardless.. Loki puts a villain in the set.. and then Cap in time for his next film and to round things off.

Processing date is May 30 with product estimated shipping date May 31 - June 2 or so. First week of June estimated product should start arriving to retailers and buyers.

Looks like I'm going to be cancelling my pre-order with BBTS this afternoon on the IM. Looks great but it ultimately came down to a space issue with me. I don't have a huge display area so I have to be really picky about the 1/4 scale pieces I go with.

Hopefully someone who is wanting one of these can scoop him up.

Looks like I'm going to be cancelling my pre-order with BBTS this afternoon on the IM. Looks great but it ultimately came down to a space issue with me. I don't have a huge display area so I have to be really picky about the 1/4 scale pieces I go with.

One step farther away from getting a Hulk, thanks pal. :lol

Guess I gotta keep an eye on his page today. Only 1/4 NECA figure I want.

Ha! That's great. Glad I could help you out.

I'm pretty glad too. I just want a high quality Iron Man that I won't fear breaking every time I handle it.

Plus it's an 18" Iron Man. I want it. I had figured I wouldn't get him though. Sold out pretty much everywhere I'd look.

Thx - again, nothing most of us don't know by following this thread, though a bit more detailed info on articulation and accessories/light up feature

Back