NECA: 1/4 Marvel Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: NECA: 1/4 The Avengers

Which is exactly what I'm hoping for. (Not necessarily the price - but everything else) I hope Thor sells well so this happens. Its going to suck when I have to back track and get IM and CA in the aftermarket. :pray:

I would suggest that you get that IM now, because the secondary market will just be a nightmare in price later.

I'm a big fan of NECA's 1/4 figures -- always thought that they were a bang for the buck even if they're about 50% more expensive here in Manila. Like I said earlier, stocks came in at a local store this weekend, had one reserved (didn't PO, but being a regular client they honor my reservations by phone), and went to pick it up before closing time.

Upon seeing the actual item, however, I felt nothing towards it. I was not impressed at all. Not by the sculpt and its proportions, not by the paintjob. I held it for more than 10 minutes, but I still ended up cancelling the reservation. I mean, I had more expensive impulse buys and it only took me no longer than 5 minutes to purchase those stuff, but this, despite being cheaper and something I was really looking forward to getting, was different.

I wasn't expecting EB, HT, or Play Imaginative 1/4 scale quality, realistically speaking. But to me it wasn't $135 good either. I would've felt differently if it came at $80-90 like in the US, but at $135, I thought I don't need it anyway and I'd just save the cash for a future purchase, perhaps for an 18" Pacific Rim, or the 1/4 West AND Keaton Batmen.

Again these are just my thoughts. I was looking forward to this figure too, sadly it didn't wow me, the same way NECA's 1/4 Preds and Big Chap Alien did even at its most unflattering twisty-tied position in the packaging.

Have a great weekend, guys!

My 60 photos of this gorgeous piece are online HERE.

DSC_01022.JPG

DSC_01002.JPG

DSC_01051.JPG

DSC_00036.JPG

DSC_00026.JPG

There was an Arc Reactor Fight!!!
DSC_00962.JPG

WOW! That just turned a +/- $100 figure into something that looks more like it would cost $400 - $500! Great job! :clap

Just goes to show the craftsmanship in neca's sculpts. If they entered the high end market, they would be doing some massive damage and ht would have a serious competitor... Does anyone agree?

A simple blackwash and drybrush to this is going to give it a bit more depth and a look that's $300+ easy. As it is, it's pretty glossy and the I can see why this "shine" may make some feel the figure looks like a big Hasbro toy. It's not the sculpt that's the issue, it's the amount of gloss/shine on the figure as a whole.

More in my review on www.Figures.com next week...

GREAT PICS. CROWINGHORSE!Can i ask you is Ironman the same weight as Cap?In other words,does he feel like he's solid and not hollow?The reason i ask is because it would determine how easy it would be to battle damage the figure for me.Also,is the head sculpt on a ball socket joint?^_^

To answer a few questions...

No, he's not as heavy or as solid as Cap simply because of the electronics and wiring inside, which require hollow arms, chest and head cavity to make happen. HOWEVER, the legs are solid as are the joints. That said, the joints on the IM I have are more loose than the joints on my 18" Cap, which isn't a bad thing, it simply means I have to pose him just right to ensure he says upright without a stand (I don't normally use stands for my 18" figs).

He's NOT made of what I expected and he should be easy to battle damage if you have any skill whatsoever with a dremel and some putty or epoxy (whatever you use to sculpt small battle damage on metal). He is NOT made of the harder plastic which NECA used on the 12" Marcus Fenix (Gears of War) and 12" Kratos (God of War), which both had electronics, but is instead made of the same softer, more durable and pliable plastic that 18" Cap and the 18" Preds are made from. This is a major bonus as - even with the electronic inside - he's super durable. He fell 4 feet from my photography platform multiple times during the photo shoot and the only issue was his shoulder armor plates popped off (they snap on and off thanks to a small articulated C-snap peg which attaches to the shoulder joint - great engineering really!)

As for the articulation, he's got ball-in-socket ankles and wrists, double hinge knees and elbows, ball joint hips and shoulders (though hip articulation is limited and clicks, which helps keep him upright), a twist waist, ball-in-socket chest (though I've not spun him 180 degrees around) and a twist neck as well as ball-in-socket head. The head is limited due to the armor/collar, but it's still able to go up and down, side to side fairly well. It doesn't go down enough IMHO, but with a bit of work on the joint, one could get it working better.

Here's my IM with a test layer of "mud/scrapes" to see how it'd look and what I need to do to make him "battle damaged."

This took my 15 minutes, 2 brushes and only a bit of acrylic paint. Acrylic will whip off of this figure fairly easy due to the gloss finish and type of plastic, so a matte spray on after painting is over is gonna be required.

Unfortunately, he does look a bit too short and thin compared to Cap. Still looks fantastic.

To answer a few questions...

No, he's not as heavy or as solid as Cap simply because of the electronics and wiring inside, which require hollow arms, chest and head cavity to make happen. HOWEVER, the legs are solid as are the joints. That said, the joints on the IM I have are more loose than the joints on my 18" Cap, which isn't a bad thing, it simply means I have to pose him just right to ensure he says upright without a stand (I don't normally use stands for my 18" figs).

He's NOT made of what I expected and he should be easy to battle damage if you have any skill whatsoever with a dremel and some putty or epoxy (whatever you use to sculpt small battle damage on metal). He is NOT made of the harder plastic which NECA used on the 12" Marcus Fenix (Gears of War) and 12" Kratos (God of War), which both had electronics, but is instead made of the same softer, more durable and pliable plastic that 18" Cap and the 18" Preds are made from. This is a major bonus as - even with the electronic inside - he's super durable. He fell 4 feet from my photography platform multiple times during the photo shoot and the only issue was his shoulder armor plates popped off (they snap on and off thanks to a small articulated C-snap peg which attaches to the shoulder joint - great engineering really!)

As for the articulation, he's got ball-in-socket ankles and wrists, double hinge knees and elbows, ball joint hips and shoulders (though hip articulation is limited and clicks, which helps keep him upright), a twist waist, ball-in-socket chest (though I've not spun him 180 degrees around) and a twist neck as well as ball-in-socket head. The head is limited due to the armor/collar, but it's still able to go up and down, side to side fairly well. It doesn't go down enough IMHO, but with a bit of work on the joint, one could get it working better.

Here's my IM with a test layer of "mud/scrapes" to see how it'd look and what I need to do to make him "battle damaged."

This took my 15 minutes, 2 brushes and only a bit of acrylic paint. Acrylic will whip off of this figure fairly easy due to the gloss finish and type of plastic, so a matte spray on after painting is over is gonna be required.

Thanks for the info! :clap

Anyone have an Enterbay Terminator to pose next to one of either of Cap or Iron Man to get a sense of how big they are. Thanks in advance!

Back