NECA: 1/4 Marvel Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: NECA: 1/4 The Avengers

I cant wait to get this guy..so glad I ordered. Just goes to show you that things dont actually have to cost the Hot Toys/Sideshow prices...for all those who constantly defend the outrageous pricing. I know this isnt as articulate..but I garuntee if Sideshow produced this same exact figure it would retail over $300

:goodpost: Exactly. So basically one could say HT is charging each person roughly $200 for the RDJ head sculpt.

I read this in an article by Nikki Finke about Avengers sequel money.
(He as in RDJ)
"He’s already sent a message that he’s not going to work for a place where they treat his colleagues like s***”

...I wonder how RDJ would feel if he knew his fans were being scalped by 'toy' companies using his face.

What would you recommend to make the BD holes and the scratches?

Dremel - I've been using one for 10+ years on customs and once you learn to use it well, it makes a world of difference on what you can do.

Adding magnets to hold on alternate hands/heads/accessories?
I was doing that back in 2004...

:goodpost:

Seconded. I'd like to BD mine as well when I get it. It would be my first time to do this, so I hope our fellow freaks who are experienced in customizing would be kind enough to share their knowledge, especially regarding the paint we can use :)

Basic acrylics are best IMHO, been using them for years making customs like THESE (that's a link to my customizer thread on OSW).

Dremel - I've been using one for 10+ years on customs and once you learn to use it well, it makes a world of difference on what you can do.

Word. I've actually done a ton of 6" customizing back in the heyday of DCUC so I feel like doing 1/4 has got to be pretty easy. I imagine the person that did this was Airbrushing though. Thinking I might pick up a 6" Iron Man to practice my technique before taking the dremel to this guy but am excited about the possibilities.

for sure, there is airbrushing on there as well as black washing and dry brushing around damage, edges too

yeah. I can pull off the washes and will need to get my dremel skills up a bit but pulling off the smoothness of the armor paint will be tricky without airbrushing.

:exactly:Believe it or not,the Dremel is one BAD A$$ tool!Just use a small drill bit(3mm +)and there's a bur that is cone shaped(i think it's used for filing or sanding) that works great for scratches as well as bullet grazings.If you're not familiar with the Dremel,i'd suggest practicing on something else before applying your new found skills on Ironman.Acrylics work Great and Enamels are GREAT for metallic colors other than silver.I personally use Metallic Sterling Silver for any BD wounds and scratches as well as for the worned edges.I hope this helps guyz!:wink1:
Word. I've actually done a ton of 6" customizing back in the heyday of DCUC so I feel like doing 1/4 has got to be pretty easy. I imagine the person that did this was Airbrushing though. Thinking I might pick up a 6" Iron Man to practice my technique before taking the dremel to this guy but am excited about the possibilities.
You would think it be easier but it isn't.The reason being is because there is a bigger canvas to paint.The details that can easily be ommitted on a 1/6 scale figure can't be done on a quarter scale.You have to add more detail and detail on top of the detail.Yeah it would be a lot easier with an Airbrush but can be done with just a brush as well.Personally,i don't use airbrush systems but they're GOOD to have.:wink1:

for sure, there is airbrushing on there as well as black washing and dry brushing around damage, edges too
:exactly:you're right there's a black wash but i don't know if the damage was sculpted on or did the person just drill the holes on it?!:dunnothe reason i say this is cause the holes have some detail on it that you normally wouldn't get if you just drilled into it but i could be wrong.I won't know for sure until i have the figure in my hands but if it's built like Cap then it's most likely to have been sculpted on.Hopefully,i get this figure in soon!:impatient:

To me it looks like some of the details are sculpted as they are raised on the chest and shoulders. Could probably be done pretty well with just a dremel though.

The thing that scares me the most about customizing this is taking it apart. Never dissembled something so big.

To me it looks like some of the details are sculpted as they are raised on the chest and shoulders. Could probably be done pretty well with just a dremel though.

The thing that scares me the most about customizing this is taking it apart. Never dissembled something so big.

Hopefully it's held together with screws and not glued. I could never figure out how people would disassemble those sigma 6 Joes figures for customizing a little while ago.

That means give it another 2 weeks to get on shelves, at least. Then you're at the mercy of your local retailers in how fast they tag and put stuff out.

If their Predator line is any indication there will be some pop-in joints, some glue, and some screws. The biggest obstacle is fear. You might just have to get in there and explore. Unless those that get it first and take it apart share their findings. Which usually happens in our community.

I just got my Iron Man sample tonight. I'll try to get it unpacked and photographed ASAP - next few days.

Man, it's gorgeous... :D

Its me!

NCMarkVII_00.jpg

Well no, but it seems they've made landfall here in malaysia, will swing by later to check them out.

Back