NECA: 1/4 Batman 1989 Michael Keaton figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I finished opening this figure and I've got to say, it's one of my favorite figures in my collection, hands down. The best? Not with the Hot Toys figures I own, but certainly one of my favorites.

The pictures and videos of this figure don't do it justice. I haven't seen a pic yet that has captured the head sculpt properly. In hand it just blew me away. It looks like there's a Bruce Wayne head under the mask because . . . there actually is! NECA actually sculpted and painted a Keaton Bruce Wayne head. The eyebrows, the brown/black hair, it's all contained in that cowl so the figure is actually wearing a mask so to speak. You can pull down and expose more of the chin and neck, move the cowl nose up and see the human nose, etc. so that blew me away. I know the paint apps aren't as nice as a Hot Toys figure but I think I might like this sculpt more. I took the Hot Toys figure out to compare them and there's just something about this NECA sculpt that's dead on. All the pics made it look weird, especially around the neck/head area, but in hand it's perfect. I almost want to get an extra headsculpt and heat it up to see what that Bruce Wayne head looks like under there.

The chest armor, boots, gauntlets, emblem and belt are even better in person. The belt is the right color (I always preferred the more goldish, darker tone from the studio pics myself as opposed to the light yellow) and the chest logo is perfect and really stands out. Really nice sculpt all around.

The body is pretty good, especially the arms and knee area. The only thing I'm unsure of is the torso, and hip leg joints. They're a little scary to pose. The an crunch barely turns and seems to either lean left or right. The waist torso turn behind the belt seems unmovable. I don't know if it's just mine but you go and try to turn that sucker and it just moves right back into position and doesn't budge. I didn't want to force it, so I left it alone. The hips worry me a bit too. They're ratchets on a ball joint but I don't know how much turning they can take. It also seems like the right hip is hanging out a tad more compared to the left socket. You can sort of see the seam where it meets the underpants section of the torso where as the left is completely hidden. I dunno, that and the ankles of the boots not really moving bugged me a bit. The head, shoulders, elbows, knees forearms/gauntlets and hands all moved fine though. Tight joints, nice movement and they're hidden well too. The swap out hands are great, even better than those crappy Hot Toys peg joints.

The accessories are alright. I love the folding Batarang and two piece grapple gun. The rods for the cape are nice too. The rest? Eh, I could live without them. That cathedral grapple is big and useless and it wouldn't surprise me if they snapped. I would have preferred the Steel Gauntlet from the Museum personally, especially with the fold out gas powered line launchers. That would have been perfect considering the hands swap out so easily and this thing has great arm articulation.

My set was missing the grapple gun attachment, so keep that in mind when you open the plastic coffin. I checked the box and it was no where to be found. I'm going to try and contact Neca or Gamestop to see what they can do.

Overall, great release. It's the best NECA figure I own. They did a great job and even surpassed that first prototype. If you have any interest in Batman at all, I'd recommend it. If you wanted the Hot Toys version but either couldn't afford it or missed out, this is a worthy figure to fill that void. I held them side by side and this sucker just seems more fun. You don't have to worry about stressing out any rubber.

Nice review.

Someone should really buy a second Neca Bats to see if there really is a full keaton head under there...

I just got mine last night, and I'm so happy the store where I had this ordered from got it unusually early! I agree with everything DiFabio has mentioned. It's easily become my favorite NECA figure. The sculpt is amazing, and the fact that there's an actual head under the cowl added to its realism. Paint can still be improved (especially the eyes), but is still one of NECA's best efforts to date.

Be very careful with the wide grapple hook (from the church scene). It's very brittle, as mine broke easily. Had it fixed with CA glue, and kept it back to the packaging. I relly love the foldable batarang. The hands are easier to swap than my NECA Predators, and the pegs are very sturdy. Cape can be futzed a little to look better.

Using 3/16 drill bit I drilled a hole on both soles (at the heels) about a quarter of an inch deep, and it perfectly fits the pegs on the huge Batman logo stand that came with the Mattel 12" figure. The sole and upper part of the shoe (the figure's feet, can be popped off of the ankle pegs) are two separate parts glued together. I made sure that the hole I drilled would be far from the hole inside the shoe where the ankle peg goes in.

Here's my NECA Batman on its base. Really happy with it. The figure stands well without it (unlike the 18" Mark 7), but the base makes the figure more secured and amps up its beauty IMO.

Great job NECA! Now looking forward to Arkham Origins Batman! :)

(Apologies for the poor pics. It's been a dark and gloomy December here this year)

PC230666_zpsa741d787.jpg

PC230665_zps1e9c6993.jpg

PC230667_zpsb4bbdbf3.jpg

Looks great man. The stand makes it look like a statue or premium format, love it! People wouldn't see the articulation coming if you showed it off lol do they sell these at GameStop stores? I know they have it online, but I didn't see any at my local store today. Saw some TWD and AC4 figs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks great

Looks great man. The stand makes it look like a statue or premium format, love it! People wouldn't see the articulation coming if you showed it off lol do they sell these at GameStop stores? I know they have it online, but I didn't see any at my local store today. Saw some TWD and AC4 figs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! :hi5:

Yeah, I think GameStop has this figure. DiFabio I think bought his from GameStop?

And yeah, I think this is a great alternative for those who don't want (or can't) spend on the forthcoming Keaton Batman PF from SSC. The way NECA took advantage of the suit's design to hide the joints (without compromising a good amount of articulation) made this figure look really good. I also love the rods for the cape. It adds weight to the cape it can make wrapped around cape shots as good as wings spread open :)

Nice pics. Did you iron the cape?? It look good on pics. Kuya, how much you bought it in Pesos sa atin? Salamat

Thanks kapatid! No, I didn't :) I just gave it a little heat for a couple of minutes with a hairdryer and straightened it out with my fingers afterwards. There still are some creases but it looks better now :)

Oh, unfortunately it cost me $50 more compared to our fellow collectors in the US. Local dealers here have no choice but to ask for more since the thing costs a lot to get shipped. Makes me wish that NECA would have an official distributor here that can get them by bulk. I bit it, though, as I doubt I could still chance upon one when I visit the US again next year.

I might try that idea. Salamat kuya. I order mine from bbts. It will take a while but glad the figure look great.

I understand. Ang mahal ng mga action figure saten. But glad to know you got the figure in hand already. Looking forward and much respect sa mga responses and ideas mo. Btw, maligayang pasko! ****miss pa****k. :)

I might try that idea. Salamat kuya. I order mine from bbts. It will take a while but glad the figure look great.

I understand. Ang mahal ng mga action figure saten. But glad to know you got the figure in hand already. Looking forward and much respect sa mga responses and ideas mo. Btw, maligayang pasko! ****miss pa****k. :)

Thanks bro! Yeah, one thing that jacks up the prices here would be the ever-annoying Customs Department. Sigh. We're the only Asian country where Hot Toys are more expensive, compared to Singapore, Malaysia, HK, and Indonesia.

And Maligayang Pasko din! :)

And I have to say, I agree with you, the stock cape is pretty great. All you have to do is play around with it a bit and it flows really well. Keeping the rods in there for a normal display gives it some weight too. Once the folds are taken care of, it really looks like the real deal.

My only complaint is that it could be a little longer and come down to his ankles more.

Tried to put him beside EB Begins suit Batman, and I think they look good together. Even 1939 Batman on the lower shelf is amazed :lol

(sorry to those who might feel bothered, that's a HT silica gel packet and a silica tub above. I live in a very humid country and it helps keep my figures in superb shape. So humid even on December that a silica tub becomes water in just 4 weeks)

PC230662_zpscf2c2598.jpg

To answer the question that several asked- yes they have them at selected Gamestop retail stores. My wife was out the other day and called me saying she had found one at the local Gamestop in the mall. Brought it home for $79.99 and tax. Perfect box and figure. It was a GREAT weekend!

Has Adam West 1/4 scale been seen at GameStop, too, by any chance. Really considering picking him up and I'd love to take a gander at him.

I now see that he is out, has he hit the UK yet? I have been out of the loop due to work.

He looks wonderful and he will only be my second 1/4 figure with NECA's P1 Predator.

Lol, that Bale looks more derpy with this badass Keaton next to it.

Tried to put him beside EB Begins suit Batman, and I think they look good together. Even 1939 Batman on the lower shelf is amazed :lol

(sorry to those who might feel bothered, that's a HT silica gel packet and a silica tub above. I live in a very humid country and it helps keep my figures in superb shape. So humid even on December that a silica tub becomes water in just 4 weeks)

PC230662_zpscf2c2598.jpg

Nice idea using the Mattel stand, Heubert!! Looks like he was made for it! As for the cape, you can basically shape the cape any way you want by using a clothes steamer. If you don't have that, then try dipping it in boiling hot water then quickly shaping it while it's still hot (just be careful not to burn yourself) Let it dry, and it should hold its shape.

Back