NC-17 Rating for "Grindhouse"?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ZombieReign said:
Do newspapers and tv stations still refuse to accept advertising for NC-17-rated films?

I guess we will get a hacked-up "R" version for theaters, and then the unrated DVD. Sucks, because these really need to be shown in their intended state on the big screen.
I think movies can get around this by releasing it Unrated instead of the NC-17 rating.

When you have big studio backing and Quentin's name attached to a film, you can bet it will get away with much more on the theatrical screen under an "R" rating than if it really was a low budget output. I'm sure a bit will be trimmed, but I doubt it will be so much as to ruin the experience.

It will be interesting to see what rating this movie gets in Australia...the 300 was originally rated R..(no-one under 18 allowed..), but was rated MA15+ on appeal from the studio...The Grindhouse will probably have the same problem....I just hope not too much is cut...I am sick and tired of people telling me what "does me harm..".

The people rating these are the true weirdos....No offense to anyone on this board who rates movies etc. for a living..:D

Bannister said:
In theory you need a guardian to see an R-rated flick if under 17. Most of the time when I was younger they rarely carded me, despite having signs everywhere saying you needed to be 17 to purchase an R-rated ticket. I have actually gotten carded more after I turned 17 then before.

Immigration asking for a green card doesn't constitute 'being carded'. :lol

Actually NC-17 means no child at or under the age of 17 will be admitted. NC-17 took the place of the X rating.

I'm looking foward to this movie because grindhouse flicks were considered extinct for a while now . The last grindhouse flicks i saw were pink flamingos and eraserhead. Those movies were over the top and not rated at all. I guess that was the appeal of gringhouse flicks, there were no boundries for a director, and the audience always knew what to expect with these kind of movies. But having a grindhouse flick promoted as a grindhouse flick should'nt be R rated. But I guess the rating system will always have a say so in artistic expression. Thank God for dvd.:D

I saw a commercial for this on TV last night. Had the "R" rating designation at the end, so it looks like it has gotten rated. :(

kodiak8658 said:
Immigration asking for a green card doesn't constitute 'being carded'. :lol

Actually NC-17 means no child at or under the age of 17 will be admitted. NC-17 took the place of the X rating.
I know what NC-17 means. I was referring to the rules for R-rated films, which are rarely enforced.

It will not be released in the theater as NC-17. It makes a nice story and people oh and ah, but it won't happen. This movie cost money to make and the studio wants to make their money back. That won't happen if it is NC-17, so it will be released as an R and then when the dvd comes around, you'll have an unrated cut. That is not to say, however, that I agree with it.

On the Grindhouse it still states unrated so do many other sites so maybe they have not made cuts yet.

Kewl. I would not mind them doing a R cut then Uncut on DVD, so it would make more theatrical $$$ so they for sure will turn that Machete trailer into a movie!!!

EVILFACE said:
Kewl. I would not mind them doing a R cut then Uncut on DVD, so it would make more theatrical $$$ so they for sure will turn that Machete trailer into a movie!!!

hell yeah!
Danny Trejo is the poo!

I just pray that its good. I've been wanting a good zombie flick in a while so i hope it delivers on that front, but regarding the rating , i guess R ratings arent that bad i mean there has been a lot of envelope pushing with R rated films like hostel, saw, ect... S hopefully rodriquez and tarantino knew this from the get go and didn't put things to drastic in their movies that would be later butchered by the rating.

W/O sounding like a prude, why in the world would anyone want to watch a fat man chew on a baby? I mean seriously, this stuff is getting ridiculous.

KitFisto said:
W/O sounding like a prude, why in the world would anyone want to watch a fat man chew on a baby? I mean seriously, this stuff is getting ridiculous.

zombies aren't picky ....

plus this is a grindhouse flick, so anything (and everything) goes

The Boot said:
Told ya. :D

https://www.joblo.com/grindhouse-get-an-r

Not unexpected at all. The most interesting part of the article for me is the revelation of the final running time...3 hrs. and 5 min.! :rock

Woah ... well, if much was cut ... it was going to be cut anyway no matter the content. Movie theaters HATE 3 hour movies. It ends up costing them an extra showing or 2 every day, which equals lost money in their eyes. So, I highly doubt the theater consortium would have allowed, say a 3 and 1/2 hour movie. I personally doubt much was cut. And besides, Tarrantino and Rodriquez are good at slight edits to avoid cuts (i.e. The Bride and Crazy 88s in black and white to avoid cuts).

Back