My review of dear Boris Karloff...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
For those of us that grew up watching the old black and white monster movies of the 30's, 40's and 50's on Saturday afternoons, Boris Karloff was an icon. Now Amoktime and Executive Replicas have released him in sixth scale form as the first of their Icons of Horror and Sci-Fi - how appropriate! The outfit is the big let down with this figure, but the head sculpts are great, and Amoktime has moved up the quality of their base body considerably.

There's also a guest review of the HM Forces from Character Options, from Jeff Parker. You can find all the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!

Michael
MWC

For the price point, I like a lot of things about the Boris Karloff figure, except for the fact the figure seems to be suffering from "no neck syndrome."

AOKtime did a great job on this, especially with the mid-age to elder Boris heads.

Thanks for posting Mike and keep up the solid work on your website.

Michael, are you planning on putting Wooksters Terminator and Goemon reviews up soon?

Great review again. Did you want to mention that they cut one of the heads for the final figure, arguably the best sculpt? Anton or Monster, I'm certain have pics of the head that was cut.

Great review again. Did you want to mention that they cut one of the heads for the final figure, arguably the best sculpt? Anton or Monster, I'm certain have pics of the head that was cut.

According to the sculptor the "youngest" portrait was replaced at the request of Sara Karloff who wanted the pencil thin mostache. All the sculpts were approved by her. The head in question will probably resurface as Executive Replicas has prototypes of at least four more Boris Karloff figures coming out. Because of factory delays and complaining from fans about the length between showing product and it shipping they haven't shown the figures yet. The portraits on all the Karloff figures were sculpted by Joy Snyder of Joy and Tom Studios. Nice review but a little critical considering the slack you cut the bigger companies for some of their short comings. I hope people continue to support the smaller companies who are making an effort to offer figures that no one else would consider.

According to the sculptor the "youngest" portrait was replaced at the request of Sara Karloff who wanted the pencil thin mostache. All the sculpts were approved by her. The head in question will probably resurface as Executive Replicas has prototypes of at least four more Boris Karloff figures coming out. Because of factory delays and complaining from fans about the length between showing product and it shipping they haven't shown the figures yet. The portraits on all the Karloff figures were sculpted by Joy Snyder of Joy and Tom Studios. Nice review but a little critical considering the slack you cut the bigger companies for some of their short comings. I hope people continue to support the smaller companies who are making an effort to offer figures that no one else would consider.

I dunno. He docked Sideshow for their Vader being screen accurate. :huh

As to the headsculpt, it's really a shame that it didn't make the cut. I can understand Sara's request, but the sculpt that was nixed is how most of us remember Karloff, and arguably, the most iconic among those done. :(

Michael, are you planning on putting Wooksters Terminator and Goemon reviews up soon?

Hey, give the guy a break... I'm editing my Endo pics today, and I haven't even started Goemon yet!

Loved the review Mike, would love to pick this up, a simple shirt swap and a press of that suit and I think he'd look 100% better. And getting him on an ATOM body is a real bonus (I think I'd maybe give him more for value, but I haven't held it in my grubby mitts so I will as always trust your judgement!).
I still kick myself fot not picking up Rondo Hatton!

Sorry guys! I thought you said you submitted the review for Goemon a bit ago! Besides, Michael is the man. I'd put Michael, you and Pitu as the main reasons i got into this hobby in the first place. I love you all:mexwave

PS. Crack on Jeff!

Seems like a fair overall score... I'd agree the value would seem a bit higher to me (just that no figures seem to be $70 anymore) but the odd look of the suit is a bummer.

But, glad to see new product from Amoktime coming out... fingers crossed for Bub and Blacula :rock

Here's the headsculpt I was talking about:
I like it, but I am really ticked that my favorite head of the lot was replaced with that John Carradine looking head. It will probably cause me to pass. The possibilities for this head were endless. Walking Dead, Engineer Poelzig, etc.:monkey2:banghead
miakk.jpg

That is the reason I also passed on picking this one up. :(

The Boris Karloff was produced by Executive Replicas and it is a great figure.

Ijust received mine and it is FANTASTIC. I do however agree with thenammagazine that the young head doesn't look that much like Boris. However, the older heads are dead on. The shirt could have been better but the suit is pretty good.

Back