DC Bombshells Black Canary review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
It's a double whammy on statues tonight! I'm checking out the latest DC Bombshells, Black Canary...and unfortunately, she's my least favorite so far. You can find that review here:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_062714a.htm

I also have a great guest review up from Jeff Parker, who's looking at the new Blitzway 1/3 scale 50th Anniversary Bruce Lee. You can find all the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

There's some cool SDCC news I can share as well - I'll be one of the judges for a nifty Captain Action Customizing Contest at this year's show! I have the details in the Peg Patrol at the site.

Thanks for reading, and have a terrific weekend!

Michael
MWC

I would agree with a lot of what you say, but I still like her. I think the sculpting is superlative, and she looks beautiful. I think the designer was committed to the torch singer motif and kind of lost the superhero thread - but these are pin-ups first and superheroes second.

And personally I think Harley is one of the most successful of the bunch - I never would have thought she didn't fit in until your comment.

I agree that there's not a lot in her design that calls back to classic Black Canary, but I still think it's a really cool statue and a great use of the Bombshell theme. And I guess I don't get why you feel the Batman B&W statues are a better value than these Bombshells. I'm more comfortable paying $100-125 for a statue this size than $70-80 for something that's no bigger than an action figure.

I said in the review that switching between designers was causing some of the problem - then realized that's not the case, Ant Lucia has done them all. Huh. Guess I was trying too hard to find an excuse for them to be so far off the mark.

And while I respect your opinion Dave, I have to say there's no way this line is 'pin up first, superhero second'. I'm not buying this because I want a statue of some 40's torch singer who happens to maybe, kinda, sorta, if I think about it real hard, reminds me of Black Canary. I want Black Canary done in a pin up style.

I actually like this one less the longer I look at it. It's not even a particularly good pin-up style, with the long black skirt and regular shirt. Like I said in the review, thank goodness the next two look like they are back in the ball park.

From what I know Ant designed all 12 to be released, and with the potential 4 more.

DC already had what they wanted in mind, and had Ant do it.

I think with a few, some of em are pin up first, hero second. Harley and BC would be my examples. The others I would say matched perfectly.

From what I know Ant designed all 12 to be released, and with the potential 4 more.

DC already had what they wanted in mind, and had Ant do it.

I think with a few, some of em are pin up first, hero second. Harley and BC would be my examples. The others I would say matched perfectly.

Yea, I missed that all designs so far (and aren't there at least 15 in case they want to continue?) are done by Ant. DC hasn't gone out of their way to make this appear to be a Lucia only line, and I have to admit I assumed they were different because this and Harley are well off the style of the others. I edited the review to note my error.

I think only BC ends up pin up first (and pretty much only). Harley is still clearly Harley, but the 40's theme isn't coming through. For example, the boots with the double layer (socks over thigh highs) doesn't say 40's style to me in any way. I can handle her in the series better than BC though, because at least I can still recognize who it's supposed to be at first glance.

Yea, I missed that all designs so far (and aren't there at least 15 in case they want to continue?) are done by Ant. DC hasn't gone out of their way to make this appear to be a Lucia only line, and I have to admit I assumed they were different because this and Harley are well off the style of the others. I edited the review to note my error.

I think only BC ends up pin up first (and pretty much only). Harley is still clearly Harley, but the 40's theme isn't coming through. For example, the boots with the double layer (socks over thigh highs) doesn't say 40's style to me in any way. I can handle her in the series better than BC though, because at least I can still recognize who it's supposed to be at first glance.

I agree aside from color scheme and face, the only iconic thing about Harley is the gun, and joker gang on her jacket. I guess the aviator coat did it for me, slightly.

I can see BC more superhero first, pin up after in the prints and concept art, definitely wasn't made to show in production.

I actually spoke to Ant a few times, even emailed him. They initially said 12 was the line (otherwise it'll turn into a Covergirl scenario; you got one designer, switch midway through). However, after it did well with pre-release BC, and the first ever Mera (later they announced the Covergirl one), and Zatanna, they said another 4 more could be done; with the Harley Holiday its tough to say if they are including or excluding any variants. I hope for 15/16 (not including variants). As it would do so much justice for underrated characters.

Back