My Office Showroom Build (Display, Lighting, Mod Tips & Service)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My office showroom build-out. (IKEA Detolf, Klingsbo, Expedit, custom cabs & ligh

That looks amazing!!!!

Re: My office showroom build-out. (IKEA Detolf, Klingsbo, Expedit, custom cabs & ligh

Wow, really brilliant.

All of your scenes look so epic, congrats, really !

I'm in love with the Hoth battle (and all of the other ones).

Great lighting! That really makes a world of difference. I prefer the third pic, not as harsh but very moody.

I'd love to see the behind the scenes photos of all the parts and pieces as they came together.

Fantastic work on the Indiana Jones/Henry Jones display. I working on setting up a couple of Indiana Jones rooms for all of my collectibles. I do have most of the Sideshow stuff so I'm wanting to get creative with displaying them.

Can you describe how you did the Indiana Jones one? Or link me to it if you've already described it?

I'm still unclear on how to print images to use as a backdrop. What type of paper is used? What size does the image need to be? Etc. I'd like to use the image of Indiana Jones running from the boulder but take him out of the picture and use my Sideshow figure in the same pose instead.

Fantastic work on the Indiana Jones/Henry Jones display. I working on setting up a couple of Indiana Jones rooms for all of my collectibles. I do have most of the Sideshow stuff so I'm wanting to get creative with displaying them.

Can you describe how you did the Indiana Jones one? Or link me to it if you've already described it?

I'm still unclear on how to print images to use as a backdrop. What type of paper is used? What size does the image need to be? Etc. I'd like to use the image of Indiana Jones running from the boulder but take him out of the picture and use my Sideshow figure in the same pose instead.

Nice idea. If you're at all crafty you could find a cheap plastic bowl and build it up with some sculpty and weather it to make it look boulder-ish and then mount over the boulder on the printed background to give it some depth.

There are more images or work-in-progress spread throughout this thread. You can also check the Indiana Jones set on my Flickr account - click the Photostream link in my signature.

The vines are dried silver lace vines cut from a friend's backyard. The moss came from another friend this summer - it's stable and stays green. Both are attached with hot glue. The background is the one that comes with the Hot Toys DX05 set. The ceiling is a sheet of 1/8" hardboard onto which I glued some wooden cross members and rock-like pieces I made from DAS modeling clay and paint. The floor I modeled with Elmer's Pro Max wood filler and paint. Lighting is provided by three 5mm LEDs directly over the idol, a three-LED segment of LED ribbon hidden behind the alter facing up and covered in a small piece of orange lighting gel (a this plastic lighting filter material). There are two other 5mm LEDs on the top right and left corners to help light the front of the alter.

The whole scene is a sort of combo of multiple parts of the temple, because in the movie there were obviously not so many vines near the alter. If I was playing with a bit more space, I'd probably throw in a cadaver too, but it's a little crowded on the one Detolf shelf. ;)

For images, click on the backgrounds link in my signature - I've provided some info on the first post, plus of course a lot of high resolution photos that I've used in my own displays.

Last edited:

Excellent info. Thank you!

Nice idea. If you're at all crafty you could find a cheap plastic bowl and build it up with some sculpty and weather it to make it look boulder-ish and then mount over the boulder on the printed background to give it some depth.

I like that idea. I'm not at all crafty but I like that idea enough to try it.

Cool. Post how it comes out! It's shouldn't be that expensive and if it just doesn't look right you've still got a great flat backdrop.

Papier-mâché over a balloon will also make a good substitute for a boulder. Just pop the balloon when the papier-mâché is dry and then texture it.

Papier-mâché over a balloon will also make a good substitute for a boulder. Just pop the balloon when the papier-mâché is dry and then texture it.

That's Clever!

Top stuff you have here. I have been planning SW dio's myself and Hoth would be the first port of call. Great food for thought on this forum.

Do you have a cool display in mind for your new Vader figure?

Took some updated images of whole cabinets today…

- - - -

Last edited:

Placeholder

Last edited:

Subscribed :)

Just a small note, a sort of pre-announcement, to let folks know that I'll be releasing my own line of custom-fit LED lighting. The end result will be something similar to what you see in some of my office photos, nice LED illumination hidden behind a clean black strip. The first release will be Detolf lighting. Everything will be included, everything will be plug and play. No cutting, no soldering, no nonsense, perfectly routed wiring, power and LEDs sized perfectly for each shelf. A wired-rail version will also be available for people who don't want any visible wires at all - it will be super-simple to install as well.

Battery eliminator kits are also coming so you can power all your favorite collectibles without batteries. They will be plug-and-play. There will be collectible-specific kits as well as general-purpose kits to replace standard battery sizes. AAA, AA, C and D will all be taken care of. Combinations of 2, 3 or 4 batteries to be replaced and support for plug standards in every country.

More news soon.

Last edited:
Back