My Office Showroom Build (Display, Lighting, Mod Tips & Service)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My office "showroom" build-out.

The room is looking really good man. It's gonna be killer when it's all set up. Love the Tun tun and the Fisher Price phone. I hope Sideshow makes Tun tuns soon.

I love the idea of boosting up the Detolfs. I always planned on doing something similar when I'm done with my room. I always felt that the bottom case is way to low in a Detolf and I rather have one a bit too high then way too low. Plus the cabinet that you put under the Detolf can store some of the crazy amount of boxes that collecting piles up :lol

I wonder what this is for...

Testing phase...

Everything has now been painted and I should be able to snap and attach some photos soon.

Last edited:

Here's a dedicated thread to the digital print backgrounds (and walls and floors) I've created (and will create), most of which are going to be used in these displays.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5457424#post5457424

The images are all very high resolution, multiple megabytes, and already set with DPI to print to the correct sizes.

Now available in color!

This image is direct from the iPhone camera, no Photoshop or other adjustments made. I'm using RGB LEDs so instead of red/orange the logo can be lit up in any other color/shade. It can even be made to strobe or fade.

Last edited:

Still waiting for a final printing quote for some of the backgrounds and wall/flooring surfaces for the shelves. So time for a test-fit of the latest Batman cave-oriented pieces.

Or in blue if you prefer. ;)

Whole cabinet view. The cave would really have worked better as the second level from a viewing height perspective, swapped with the Hoth shelf. But then I'd have Batman splitting the Star Wars levels and that wouldn't do either. Design is always about compromise. ;)

Last edited:

I now have all the prints back from the printer. Suitably happy with the results, but I'd have loved the opportunity to do these locally so that I could proof in person. Over-the-internet printing is often something of a crap-shoot. Glad these worked out. A little color shift, but nothing that can't be worked with for this project. One of the images will probably need to be redone as it just came out too muddy and dark.

Now available in color!

B0774710-DE21-4FF9-B203-15336027A10D-5547-000009B941CC3F71_zpsa0f474be.jpg

This image is direct from the iPhone camera, no Photoshop or other adjustments made. I'm using RGB LEDs so instead of red/orange the logo can be lit up in any other color/shade. It can even be made to strobe or fade.

That is just amazing. I can't wait to see the final set-up!

I was actually surprised that I didn't get more feedback about this piece from the DX12 thread - maybe some people thought this was a computer-based design? I love the way the photo turned out, but it's even more impressive in person. ;) I've created an orange color with the LEDs that causes the background to look exactly like hot burning embers, even when looked at from 2-3 feet away.

It should look even better with the side walls and flooring installed, I just think I may have a difficult time photographing it all - might have to break out the big guns, my Nikon D300.

Wish I were this handy! Really love the lit Batman logo, that'll be classy when done!

Indeed nice progress and that custom cave is batman worthy ;)

:borg "Resistance is Futile"

Added some foam insulation and plaster to the Star Wars diorama shelf - it still needs paint and some Snow-Tex applied to finish it off.

The Batman dio that sits under this shelf is also coming along nicely, the floor and walls are in and I'm done a few accessories too such as pipes and electronics.

Last edited:

Test-fitting the shelf now after the base layers of paint.

Close-up:

With the Hoth Attack Base and Probot and Turret play sets installed:

The cave area underneath almost done and getting ready for lighting/wiring (that bump on the left wall will be covered when finished):

Last edited:

ohhhh the concrete flooring and wall look superb!!! you painted it yourself or found some preexsisting material to repurpose?
nice job!

ohhhh the concrete flooring and wall look superb!!! you painted it yourself or found some preexsisting material to repurpose?
nice job!

Digital texture based on a photograph, printed to vinyl. I didn't take the original photos of the concrete nor make the repeating texture, just some small mods and layout. A real time-saver. All the textures and images I'm using in this build are available for download in the backgrounds thread in my signature. ;)

I've just finished running the light strips for the Hoth scene and will hopefully have some more images soon.

Need to wire the main shelf wire to the live pig-tail under the cabinet, then I'll be able to show the lighting. Test fitting the Hoth background to figure out its final left/right position - and to make sure it was the correct length! ;)

EDIT: Now secured in its final position, I just need to take care of the small cut-out flaps and do some paint touch-ups, then finish the shelf with the snow-texture stuff.

Last edited:
Back