My Office Showroom Build (Display, Lighting, Mod Tips & Service)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My office showroom build-out. (IKEA Detolf, Klingsbo, Expedit, custom cabs & ligh

I'll have to think about it. Cardboard boxes are easy to ship, but the plastic ones, even though very light, are bulky and therefore expensive to ship - at least from Canada.

I've been toying with the idea of shipping some pre-made lighting kits as well, so we'll see. It's all a matter of ROI, because I have a full-time business to run already. ;)

Just out of curiosity, what do you do? You seem to be a jack of all trades...

Re: My office showroom build-out. (IKEA Detolf, Klingsbo, Expedit, custom cabs & ligh

Software design, development, sales and consulting.

Software design, development, sales and consulting.

Well thanks for being so helpful on the boards here. A lot of your advice has been very helpful to a lot of us!

Thank you for the compliment, much appreciated.

I'm not sure if I'll get any pictures done today, but I finished repair work on both Bespin Luke figures and set them both out, the Battle Damaged version perched on the weather vane.

Batman DX12 is now also permanently out of his packaging along with a suite of weapons on display on top of one of those boxes which I stuffed with dark grey foam. I'll try to make some time to set up Selina Kyle and that will probably be it for the week.

I've pretty much finished off my Batcave/Bunker diorama except for some final touch-ups, so I' hope to be setting up the figures this week and snapping some higher quality photos (finally!)

Here's one of the last things I added, some additional boxes and Wayne Enterprise logos. I just wish I had a computerized cutter so I could have made some nice masks and spray painted the logos instead of using clear acetate.

Those came out fantastic pixel :clap

Except the small black one which I've since pulled from the display - I did too much paint experimentation on it and the layers just built up enough where you could really see the paint.

I think I might have a few minutes right now while I'm waiting for a call and my daughter is busy with an episode of some vintage cartoon I just put on for her. Time to see if I can get the goggles onto the Selina Kyle figure! ;)

Ok, these photos are at the bottom of my barrel for images shot with my big-boy camera. With all this glass and without a lot of natural sunlight, I really need to set up my tripod, something I didn't have time for today. Unfortunately I also didn't have the time to set up any off-camera flash and instead used the small built-in flash which is mostly responsible for the lack of flattering shadows. And while I may have some jack of all trades in me, something I'm really struggling with is posing some of these figures. ;) It's a learning process.

These are actually my first ever photos of these figures...

Last edited:

Nothing but respect for you bro. What you got going there is nothing short of amazing. Hoping in the next couple of years to buy a bigger home where I will finally have my man cave and stuff like this is what keeps me going.

Congrats I look forward to following your future progress.

Fantastic displays man. I pray someday I have the space and the wife has the patience to let me turn my office into this kind of masterpiece. What unit did you use for the Batbunker display? Custom?

Fantastic displays man. I pray someday I have the space and the wife has the patience to let me turn my office into this kind of masterpiece. What unit did you use for the Batbunker display? Custom?

Thanks! Yeah, my wife is fairly accommodating so long as I also build and design stuff for the rest of the house. My family room puts my office to shame in terms of custom work.

Sounds like you haven't gone to scan the rest of the thread… ;) If you look on page 1, starting with the 5th image you can see the base cabinet and glass panels for the Bat bunker display. It started with a 3-drawer IKEA Malm dresser which I extended with a false cabinet to the right (supports and a front). I removed the top from the Malm and put in my own wider top to cover the entire space. Steel track with ball bearings guide the two large glass panel doors.

Drooling over your display work. Simply amazing and points to you for such creativity in your display.

What sort of LED kit would you be offering if you ever did manage to get the time to offer that?

What sort of LED kit would you be offering if you ever did manage to get the time to offer that?

Something intended for easy installation into a Detolf seems like it would be popular.

I'm wrapping up the absolute final touches on my big sliding glass door cabinet, including a really good cleaning of the glass with "Invisible Glass" from a company called Stoner (yeah, I'm not kidding). This stuff makes Windex results look like muddy tap water, it's THAT good.

Here you can see that I've now covered the edge of the two glass shelves which hides the LED strips from every angle in the room, including sitting at my desk. I'll probably paint the bottom strip the same grey as the shelves later tonight. The material used is a pre-glued edging strip that you use an iron to affix - it's intended to finish the edge of laminated particle board - it sticks amazingly well to the glass.

Do you like the dated Kenner Star Wars signage I made for the display area? It's going to be a while before I have enough of the vintage collection to fill the entire space and cover it up. ;)

One more LED strip to cover up inside the Hoth Diorama and then the doors go back on. It'll also make the last of the LEDs to hide, phew! I can't stand looking at the glowing LEDs.

Here's a shot of one of my "wireless" LED installs on the front edge of a glass shelf on the Detolf. The bare copper wire end is where the power comes from the Detolf's rail.

And as you can see, even though I've created a small lip to carry and conceal the LED strip segment, you can still somewhat see the glowing edges because the cabinet is raised up pretty high. I'll probably have to add edging similar to the big cabinet. There's also an annoying reflection off the back of the cabinet since it's glass, so I'll likely cover the back in fabric soon.

And finally, (from the Macross anime (first third of USA's "Robotech") here's a lonely Valkyrie VF-1S in Battroid mode sitting inside the middle shelf of my Expedit:

I'll be fitting white inserts with glass doors for these Expedit shelves later in the fall, a new addition to IKEA this year here in North America, after long-time availability in Europe.

Last edited:

Updated Flickr with a bunch of new higher quality images - once I've had a chance to attach metadata/titles and make sure they're developed well-enough, I'll post them in here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelpiper/

Once I post them here I can't make any pixel-based edits or Flickr will change the URLs and break the forum links.

Hope you like all the updates. Maybe sometime next year I'll have to start a new thread to show completed displays, but it's a lot of fun doing the in-pogress stuff.

This guy looks much better since painting his shoes (not shown here)

Last edited:

I'm going to try and make time to capture the entire cabinet in one photo sometime this week, though I might have to combine different exposures to get it "right" - keep your fingers crossed for me, this is going to be tricky trying to minimize reflections from all the glass.

Last edited:

Batman and Star Wars, my two favourite things, this is an awesome display. You're making me regret giving all my star wars stuff away when I was younger.

You say your wife is fairly accommodating, so, can I come and live at your house?

Back