MY LIFESIZE STAR WARS DISPLAYS (all 1:1)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: STAR WARS PROPAGANDA site and my personal gallery.

You guys rock.

BTW, the yoda, emperor, and maul pics are new, but their propstories are not yet updated.

Did you paint the Fett helmet yet?

Very nice work

Thanks.
Haven't painted the fett helmet yet. It's on the list though.
Lots of other things in front of it.
I'm in no rush. It's going to take a long time getting the rest of him together.

Yes, but very slowly.

Here's a new pic from the updated Darth Maul section.

thumb4.jpg

Dang Gino, man that looks good. Did you paint the face yourself?

Thanks man.
I sure did.

You made a very nice choice in terms of which tattoo scheme to replicate, there were several looks because of the intricacy and complexity of trying to duplicate the exact paint job everytime Ray was done up, and the one you went with is the one I liked most. That Maul statue is just a thing of beauty.

Thanks!
Unfortunately, they're not for sale.
Not unless a licensee wants to bring me on board.

Regarding the paint scheme, you are right. Every time he was made up the paint scheme was slightly different. I went with the ones from the promotional shots because I had LFL photos showing every angle of the head imaginable.

Made it easier to match.

You can't really tell in the pics, but he also has individually hand laid eyelashes as well. Even up close in person, you can't tell it's not real.
It's kinda creepy because you get the feeling like he is going to move, or his eyes are going to glance in your direction.
My GF hates him.

Yeah, my Sideshow bust always gets a reaction from my sister-in-law when she comes in the room, I've got aliens and predators and all kinds of weird ^^^^, but only Maul freaks her out, actually every girl I've seen gets freaked by him.

At least your statue is passive, if you get that much reaction to that, imagine having a teeth glaring evil grin portrait.

Sometimes I look at my bust and I swear he's in the room ready to fight :lol

I admire the detailing of adding visible connections for the horns. It didn't matter on screen because you didn't see them clear enough to spot the seam, but in promo shots it's glaring, always amazed me that they didn't do a better job blending them into his head. I usually included them in my sketches of Maul just to keep authentic, but I like that the Sideshow bust eliminated them, looks more natural, but yours looks more like Ray on set.

Of course the eyes on yours are just immaculate, the on thing really holding back the Sideshow bust.

I've always felt that head sculpts bearing teeth or having a dynamic expression don't really work all too well for hyper realism.
They look frozen in time, or like taxidermy.

Your sub-conscious immediately recognizes them as not living things becuase it is not natural for living things to hold expressions or poses for more than a quick moment.

I chose non dynamic (but still very intense) expressions for both the maul and emperor, and I think if you compare them to the sideshow versions, it's not even a contest in regards to which ones come off more real looking.

(*disclaimer, I'm not putting down the sideshow versions)

Can you take more detailed pictures of your Emperor, the lighting in the ones you have up doesn't show off the textural details too well, love to see the work that was put in there.

I get what you're saying on the expressions, it is more a common sight to see flatter faces then smirks, snarls, grins, etc.

Depending on character though, it can be more fun to have expression. I like the realism of your Maul portrait, and the pose you mimicked from publicity is really nice and the portrait is great for that. Being just a head, I like the the Maul bust is grinning, one of my favorite shots of him is during a pause when he's fighting Qui-Gon solo and he just snarls at him before twirling his saber and going in for the kill, similar look on him when he Force hurls the battle droid at the doors from the hanger before twirling his saber and taking defensive posture against Obi-Wan. Maul's aggressive fighting style and the visual look of his face are what appeal to me most about the character so I love that the bust I own immediately pulls me into those scenes/shots that I fell in love with the character over.

thumb9.jpg

thumb10.jpg

Last edited:

The best SW life size collection. Absolutely beautiful works.

That's very kind of you to say.
Thanks!

Thanks.

The idea behind this bust was to create the look of Ian McDiarmid in make-up as he would have appeared on set during ROTJ. The prosthetic stops at the ears just like on this sculpt.

I am convinced that when they designed the look for the emperor for ROTJ, his enlarged forehead was supposed to look 'brain-like', which is why you get the two distinct hemispheres.

Back