My Han Solo SSE #112 Stolen!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have filed Complaints to FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center and USPS Postal Inspector (Mail Fraud). Will be in touch with Staten Island Police early next week.

Also, see here:

$100 Reward

Simple rules to follow.
USA & Canada:
Use UPS, ground/insured and pay for signature required. It is not much more than USPS, and your covered, plus you can do your shipping with UPS through Paypal. SIGNATURE REQUIRED, always. And, for $2.08, UPS will pick up at your house as well.

International, i use USPS Express, always, it has tracking and always insure. If they want you to declare a lower value, say NO to Paypal for payment, no creit cards at all, use western union, money order or bank wire. Full value insurance is MUST with Paypal.

elwood49 said:
Alright guys, I've got a new Ebay problem and I'd like to see what everyone thinks. This just seems to be "problem weekend" for Ebay I guess. I already discussed this with Gruson earlier, but I want to see what the general consensus is.

I sold one of my extra MR Star Corps helmets to a guy in Italy for $450. He ended the auction with a Buy it Now. He wants me to mark the item with a value of $40 on the customs form. He hasn't paid yet, because he says that he can't afford to pay customs. I replied that I MUST mark the item with its full value for several reasons:

1. If the item is lost in transit, the insurance would only replace $40. Paypal would refund him his money, and I would be out $450. (Well $410, heh)

2. Lying on a U.S. customs form is a felony and is actually a form of perjury in addition to that.

3. If the guy files a chargeback, then what happens when I produce the false customs form?

International buyers trying to avoid customs is my #1 complaint about selling internationally on Ebay. I would say that 90% of people ask me to do it. It's not enough that they get basically free healthcare provided by their country through VAT, but they also want that coverage on someone else's dime. I'm sorry but this is just ridiculous. Rant over.:banghead

Hey let's resurrect an oldie! :banana :joy :banana :joy

I was asked just the other day by a nice fellow in Switzerland to do just this, he bought some Kong pieces from me. He claims to know Richard Taylor, Fred Tang, etc - impressive, but he wanted me to put $40 as the final value. As a famous president once said, "not gonna do it." :angelsmil

Oh and btw, what ever happened with this Davey?

Last edited:
As a famous president once said, "not gonna do it."

Wise decision.

Oh and btw, what ever happened with this Davey?

Not much, I did receive a post card in the mail from the US Government thanking me for reporting the incident and that they will direct it to the proper authorities. What I really need is for a policeman to get a search warrant for the guys house. I do check ebay to look for Han Solo SSE #112, hoping the guy trys to get rid of the stolen property.

Dave, just want to let you know I bought a few items from this guy Astrohu a few months back and he shipped them promptly. I'll look around and see if I can find his return address anywhere, but I may have already recycled those boxes on resell items.

But I have also been ripped off by paypal and ebay a year ago by shipping a $315 item to the UK Global Priority, filed the lost item forms, did every thing including scanning and providing my shipping receipt for the item but paypal cratered my account for the full purchase price and I was out $630 total value. Over a year later I haven't heard a word where this item is... I know it was delivered because I had my return address on the shipping label and box.

All posters here have been very informative. My lesson learned: Always ship domestic with delivery confirmation/tracking and for items over $150 require insurance, it's only a few dollars more and well worth it. If you ship overseas, use Global Express only b/c it includes tracking and $100 Insurance.

One last point, if you need info on a trading partner after a sale, ebay has a find a member feature, just reference item # and the members address and phone # should be provided. ebay requires members to have active and accurate contact info or they violate trading policy.

Cheers bro

Anyway, good luck.

Thanks for the advice pjam.

I'll look around and see if I can find his return address anywhere, but I may have already recycled those boxes on resell items.

Don't worry about that, I know his address, his email and his phone. He ignored all my efforts to contact him. He filed with paypal and they sided with him only because...

My lesson learned: Always ship domestic with delivery confirmation/tracking and for items over $150 require insurance, it's only a few dollars more and well worth it. If you ship overseas, use Global Express only b/c it includes tracking and $100 Insurance.

Yes, I have learned a painful $500 lesson too! Anything I sell now I send with delivery confirmation/tracking. If it is a costly item, I require insurance.
This guy knew the rules of paypal, knew I did not use delivery confirmation cause he could see it on the box in front of his face and decided to shaft me. I think you have read through this thread and I did say before that the postman confirmed with me over the phone he delivered the package the very day the guy filed with paypal. Shady character.

Anyway, thanks again. If anything positive can be gained from this experience is that any unwary sellers can learn from my mistakes.

Davey

This sucks!! No wonder it is called evil bay!.... If this guy really stolen your statue....he will have his retribution! I am sorry Dave for not able to help much... but really feel sorry for your plight... will keep a look out for this piece..

But I doubt he will sell it on ebay so fast, if he meant to steal it..:sick

Thanks again for sharing your experience with all of us despite what you are going through

Since we're all talking about ebay here...I recently purchased a Han Solo Exclueive #142 of ebay as a Best Offer option on Feb 22nd for $430. I have'nt heard back from the seller yet. Is the seller required to notify me if the shipment or the payment is received? I have't heard from him at all.

Seller (drtoyscloseouts) seems credible with over 4600 feedbacks. I think I am just getting paranoid after reading this thread, but then again you never know with ebay.

carbo-fation said:
Since we're all talking about ebay here...I recently purchased a Han Solo Exclueive #142 of ebay as a Best Offer option on Feb 22nd for $430. I have'nt heard back from the seller yet. Is the seller required to notify me if the shipment or the payment is received? I have't heard from him at all.

Seller (drtoyscloseouts) seems credible with over 4600 feedbacks. I think I am just getting paranoid after reading this thread, but then again you never know with ebay.

I've bought from them in the past and never had any problems..

I bought numerous items from drtoycloseouts and they are exceptional Sellers, usually ship fedex, don't worry, you'll get it.

Another tip for my fellow boarders re: ebay purchases; if you are ever concerned about buying a big ticket item, always purchase via paypal with a cc. You will never get ripped off b/c your bank will protect you, not only credit your card for the purchase, but any interest accrued once your claim has been filed, it is incumbent on the Seller to prove you received the item or their paypal account gets cratered and ebay keeps track of these cases because paypal is owned by ebay and your bank will always trump paypal. Many have already pointed this out on this thread, it's good policy.

One good method for Ebay selling. Do it by Cash or Cashiers check instead of Paypal. Yeah it might be slower, but as a responsible seller you are guarenteed the money if the person tries to steal. Just make sure they send you the money before you mail the item. It's kind of hard for the buyers, but that's life. Although this does bring another problem--people buy and then go, "Oh, I didn't read the payment options, I only use Paypal, nevermind." end then you're out a few bucks and have to put it back up again.

Nothing But Love Dave. Sorry to here this had to happen to you. It happened to me and I learned the Jesse trick of keeping that acount empty at all cost's. mine wasn't as bad - $200, but the same. I had all my info and the buyer refused Ins. but he won and I am pretty sure he recieved the item ~

Paypal takes so many damn fee's ~ offers no protection and did I mention the fee's.

I switched over to all items going thru UPS, I like the confirmation and the fact like someone else pointed out, there ins. protects the seller and they will ONLY deal with the shipper.

Last point. Thought that "double price is stealing" comment from way back was a bit rough. Daves a great guy, had a bad runn of luck that alot of us have been thru and really ~ stealing is taking by force. PPl overpaying is choice. I find a big differance in someone walking to there car from the ATM, getting cut and robbed left in a ditch. To let's say I don't know, sitting in there house, spending there money on ebay. :D Maybe that's just me tho

:mummy

Shaihulud said:
I've bought from them in the past and never had any problems..

I bought from them too and never had problems (with drtoyscloseout)

I too have bought from drtoyscloseouts and never missed an item. Sometimes things weren't super fast, but they usually arrived pretty quickly and safely.

I have been looking on ebay for a Han Solo numbered 112 and nothing has surfaced yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if this ********* relists the stolen Han at some point.

Sorry Davey if my post was like ripping a scab off of a wound, I certainly didn't mean to resurrect an old thread arbitrarily (I thought of this after the fact :eek: ). :peace

pjam said:
All posters here have been very informative. My lesson learned: Always ship domestic with delivery confirmation/tracking and for items over $150 require insurance, it's only a few dollars more and well worth it. If you ship overseas, use Global Express only b/c it includes tracking and $100 Insurance.

I just learned (via a trip to the Post Office) that Airmail Parcel Post also gives you automatic insurance up to $100, previously I had not known that. :cool:

I just recently shipped something to The Netherlands via Airmail parcel post and insurance was 'only' covered up to $87.08. Not sure what the depending factors are(if any). Maybe weight, location???

I had the same problem with an item I sent to germany it would only cover 135.56 worth of insurance at no cost but the item I sent was 199.99 so I had no choice thankfully I just recieved feedback from the buyer saying he recieved it. I am thinking of strictly using UPS for all my future shipping needs as USPS always seems to question me when I drop off a package with the postage printed from paypal. They keep asking me why I don't have to pay a surcharge on my items I sent. I think they are just pissed off since I elect not to display the postage amount on the label it leaves them in the air I guess.

Remember there is NO tracking available when shipping USPS overseas unless you use Global Express, the only protection you have from scammers!

He is selling a Han Solo Exclusive.

Astrohu Han Solo Auction

How easy would it be to write 140 on the outer brown box? It would be great if someone would ask him an ebay question for a picture of the bottom of the Han Solo Black Box that has the number on it.

I may have mentioned when he won my Han Solo SSE auction he asked me not to mark up the outer brown box. Hmmm, maybe so he could steal it and post a bogus picture on ebay. If someone wins this, they may be surprised to see #112 as the actual figure number.

Do any of you think a call back to the Staten Island police would be of benefit?

Daveyjaro

Daveyjaro said:
He is selling a Han Solo Exclusive.
You should bid on it while the price is low. If it's yours and he sees your bid he'll go "oh honey" an probably pull the item. That would tell you.

Back