My Han Solo SSE #112 Stolen!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you post over on statueforum.com?...if so there is a large number of NY members that might give you a hand as well..I've heard of a couple of times where a few got together and settled some disputes..just a thought...how far are you from him?

Haven't ever been on statueforum.com. I live about 3 hour drive from the guy. But, seriously, unless he is a complete idiot, he doesn't even have it there anymore. His ebay contact lists a phone number in Brooklyn, yet the Paypal address is in Staten Island. Every aspect about the guy is shady. All I would want is my money or Han Solo back (in the same condition I sent it).

Alright guys, I've got a new Ebay problem and I'd like to see what everyone thinks. This just seems to be "problem weekend" for Ebay I guess. I already discussed this with Gruson earlier, but I want to see what the general consensus is.

I sold one of my extra MR Star Corps helmets to a guy in Italy for $450. He ended the auction with a Buy it Now. He wants me to mark the item with a value of $40 on the customs form. He hasn't paid yet, because he says that he can't afford to pay customs. I replied that I MUST mark the item with its full value for several reasons:

1. If the item is lost in transit, the insurance would only replace $40. Paypal would refund him his money, and I would be out $450. (Well $410, heh)

2. Lying on a U.S. customs form is a felony and is actually a form of perjury in addition to that.

3. If the guy files a chargeback, then what happens when I produce the false customs form?

International buyers trying to avoid customs is my #1 complaint about selling internationally on Ebay. I would say that 90% of people ask me to do it. It's not enough that they get basically free healthcare provided by their country through VAT, but they also want that coverage on someone else's dime. I'm sorry but this is just ridiculous. Rant over.:banghead

Last edited:
You don't click "Buy It Now" if you can't pay! The time to ask questions about customs is before he commits to buying. Sorry about this hassle.

I wouldn't do it, and I have been in the same situation, it's not worth going to jail for this fellar. :rolleyes:

Judge by his feedback El. I have done it many times and never had a problem, but I will only do it for an establsished member with no negatives.

Jesse

Of course, I'm only an occasional seller on eBay, but I wouldn't do it. As a matter of fact I usually list my items for shipping in US anymore. Although, I have had a couple International Buyers email me asking me to make an exception. Which I did but only after they understood shipping with insurance and full value declared only.

That is excellent advice Oxbeard. I only sell to USA buyers now, it is just too difficult international.

One other Rant I have is people asking questions after they buy an item. These questions need to asked AND answered before a purchase is made. I have had a couple of buyers from outside the USA purchase items I explicitly list for USA only, but I have made exceptions if they have great feedback. I sent 3 Star Wars figures to Mexico to a nice guy, but he is an exception to the rule.

Also, the person who stole my Han asked me a question minutes before the auction ended and then bid anyway. It was the start of the worst experience i have ever had on ebay.

I hope ebay removes that negative soon, it looks terrible on there.

On Paypal, I changed all my listings to money order only and had 2 purchases in less than 24 hours. Shows you that some people do not like paypal. From my experience over this, they have lost my confidence in them. How can you expect to be secure in your transactions when they will not take the side of an honest seller. I have doubts I will accept Paypal in the future, they have lost MY business.

Daveyjaro said:
I have doubts I will accept Paypal in the future, they have lost MY business.

In all seriousness, I think the root of most Ebay problems is Paypal. I read an excellent article about a class action suit against them. The suit claims that Paypal freezes accounts so easily simply because they want to be able to collect the interest on the account for themselves. While the money is frozen, all the interest apparently goes straight to Paypal.

I remember that Google was working on a Paypal alternative, but I don't remember what ever became of it. I really hope a better system for sellers comes up soon.:sick

Everyone always says that Ebay is such a risk for buyers, but SELLERS are the ones with the real risk. The buyers are protected by their credit cards, which is why you should never use a money order on Ebay if at all possible.

Isnt that a catch 22 then? The only way to use a credit card on Ebay is via paypal right?

Daveyjaro said:
Haven't ever been on statueforum.com. I live about 3 hour drive from the guy. But, seriously, unless he is a complete idiot, he doesn't even have it there anymore. His ebay contact lists a phone number in Brooklyn, yet the Paypal address is in Staten Island. Every aspect about the guy is shady. All I would want is my money or Han Solo back (in the same condition I sent it).

still waiting for that pm...:)

It sucks to hear what had happened to you DJ. The act of these selfish thieves not just hurt people that do businesses on ebay, they also hurt the image of serious International buyers and sellers :banghead .

(In the mean time I will be keeping eyes on Han Sole SSE#112 if it ever pops out on ebay.) :cool:

All the best.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a real shame that some dishonest scumbags are making sellers think twice about shipping internationally. Gives us international buyers a bad name. I've always been honest in my buying on ebay, and I've been very glad that so many sellers didn't mind shipping to me in NZ. Never once asked for a seller to lower the value on the customs form, either (and I've refused when some offered).

Really sorry to hear about your bad experience, Davey. I bought from you once or twice and it was all very smooth, so it really sucks to hear that you got shafted by this jerk.

Probably 70% of my sales go international and I have never had a problem. The two problems I have had were both in the US. Both were resolved to my satisfaction, one by Paypal :horror and one by my credit card company when Paypal couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it.

Jesse

I've used paypal since they've began and haven't really had a problem. Only problems I had were a couple unauthorized uses, but since I have my own business, I just claim them as a loss, no biggie. 90% of my payments are paypal.

Hi!!

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I too have suffered a similar fate. I shipped out an item to someone. I saved the receipt. Sent a scan of the receipt with price highlighted and paypal still sided with the buyer. I am out of $100 plus some change. Now, I only send out delivery confirmation and I make it mandatory. It's ridicluous that there is so many dishonest people out there. A real pity. I hope all is going well with you, and I HATE paypal. However, I still use it. Seeing all of this makes me want to give it up altogether. Absolutely no protection for the seller. There needs to be a system of checks and balances.

Brad

Thanks very much for everyone's help! This guy's negative and abusive feedback to me has been purged by ebay. I am back to 100% positive feedback, now onto some things I can do to nail this guy to the wall. A figure like Han Solo SSE cannot be hidden. This guy is going down, I won't rest until there is justice.

Wow, this thread is pretty huge, almost 2000 looks. I hope that the word is now out on this guy.

Daveyjaro said:
now onto some things I can do to nail this guy to the wall. A figure like Han Solo SSE cannot be hidden. This guy is going down, I won't rest until there is justice.

I LIKE YOUR WAY OF THINKING....

Back