My Custom Avengers Diorama - entire build process :)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Build progress on my custom Avengers Diorama

Glass is extremely dirty btw......that's why it looks so hazy. It is. :p

Yes. Think giant shoe box. :)

I've had to go backwards a little.....my wife suggested I recess the 'stage' area, so my foam edge isn't seen against the glass. The edge of the current platform in the pic is visible, so the foam would only add to that [bad] look. I agreed she had a great idea, so a bit of a back-tracking, but no biggie. It will be a better finished product.

See, I told you she was coming around :yess:

I have mixed feeling on this.

Please consider that I buil kitchens, cabinets and display systems for odd collections professionally so I have a lot of "customer" experience to draw on.

I like that your premise and I like your initiative

BUT, sometimes people have tunnel vision and can't really envision or think how the same look can be achieved in a different way.

The display should be transparent to the viewer.

I think the corners and top panel may add to much visual weight to the look of the display.

Here is an example of what I am talking about

I also think it is going be very awkward to access your display from the top.

You said you were going to use a printed back ground so I don't know why you didn't go with a solid back which would have saved you money and been a better access point

I know sliding it out to open the back may be inconvenient but in the same venue you could have skipped the back panel for the lower base and that would give you unlimited access to the storage area.

I hope you see this as constructive criticism.

Some people I have worked for were utterly insulted and bulked at my recommendations while others have expressed abundant gratitude that I made them.

It mostly didn't work out so well for the former.

Yes. Think giant shoe box. :)

I've had to go backwards a little.....my wife suggested I recess the 'stage' area, so my foam edge isn't seen against the glass. The edge of the current platform in the pic is visible, so the foam would only add to that [bad] look. I agreed she had a great idea, so a bit of a back-tracking, but no biggie. It will be a better finished product.

See, I told you she was coming around :yess:

Nice!

So here's the "back track". Huge improvement.

Now the foam will sit in a tray, so to speak:

1be4e1dd560dc6c3d362b7a7161d3304.jpg

0e451bda6509db5dd2a46132f7db7eb1.jpg

A+ for wifey :clap

I think both look fine, just different. Matter of taste. I'm doing something I'm confident I can execute to my satisfaction. If you missed my comment earlier, I've never done anything like this before.

You said you were going to use a printed back ground so I don't know why you didn't go with a solid back which would have saved you money

Versatility in the future, so I'm not locked in to one thing.

I hope you see this as constructive criticism.

That's fine. I like what I'm doing and I'm enjoying the process. I'm doing it to please me, and so far it's a success.
411859566.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks. :) Put in about 8 hours today [including trip to Home Depot]. Maybe I'll get the door section/side done tomorrow and start painting soon.

Thanks. :) Put in about 8 hours today [including trip to Home Depot]. Maybe I'll get the door section/side done tomorrow and start painting soon.

Wow thats a long time!! But totally worth it for you I bet! And I have no doubt when its all finished it will be a truly amazing display :duff

Looking good so far. Are you adding a light source to your display? With the border at the top like you have now, it'll be a nice way to hide the light bar and you can have the wires running up from one of the corner edges

Although I see you plan to be opening it like a shoe box, so this idea might hinder that movement

Looking good so far. Are you adding a light source to your display? With the border at the top like you have now, it'll be a nice way to hide the light bar and you can have the wires running up from one of the corner edges

Although I see you plan to be opening it like a shoe box, so this idea might hinder that movement

No, the cross bars for the lights are separate from the lid. I'm doing what you suggested here, yes.

And you're dead on, the supports will blend/hide the wires great. :)

It's almost like I know what I'm doing :D :D

Last edited:
Build progress on my custom Avengers Diorama

Where's this going in your home Craig?

Office/music room/rec room. Now /Diorama room :)

Room looks like:

70cfdad1c444d51f121220ba5d68578a.jpg

It will go at the end of my desk, top is just under the TV. Fills all the way to the curtain.

aaa715fd7145a676dd13fadbe7066639.jpg

You can tell the scale by the 43 on the speaker. It fills that whole area up, floor-to-TV, wall-to-desk. Display area is just an inch or two above the desk height.

a5d2f6ad81f6ba0299c6d74c6d7377a8.jpg

Last edited:

It looks really prof. So cool you're just doing it. I'm building a house. (1/1) Never did that before, but started out, asked neighbors when I don't know what to do next, and so far, it's coming along fine.
But what you're doing is much harder, such finesse and details... So cool.
And most important, you're doing it your way. Congrats

Back