My Beginner's Collection

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only ever buy what I really really want. Problem is, I really really want a lot of stuff. And I don't have much self control when it comes to buying stuff. I don't buy pieces just to be companion pieces, they have to be something I really like. I had to cut up my card at the insistance of a very good friend of mine who basically said "All this stuff is REALLY cool...but what the hell is wrong with you?"

I'll fix the pics when I get home from work.

You have more willpower than me!! Good for you. I've cut way down on my buying (my credit cards bills frighten me everytime they arrive). As long as you don't find yourself lusting over some of the grail pieces you should be fine! :)

So here's my advice, from a beginnign collecotr who started off collecting toys to make $ maybe a year ago but now collect mostly higher end statues/busts for enjoyment:

1) Being a geek helps. :D

2) this hobby is expensive. I have a decent job and make sure to pay my bills first, put very little on credit card before paying off immediately. I can't imagine paying $300 for a statue when that was my rent in college.

3) But, you can probably recover most of that cost, and make a profit, if you are selective in your choices.

4) I probably shouldn't have bought as many doubles, you'll have less $ to get other stuff. But it's hard when you see something for less than what you paid and if you anticipate a big price value increase.

5) Pay the extra few dollars for insurance if you buy from Ebay

6) I said it earlier tonight, but it's very difficult to pic just a few lines to stick with. Good luck with that.

You have some good advice. I am a geek, so it does help. It also hurts. I don't really plan on flipping, so purchasing all kinds of things isn't going to be an issue for me. I have moral issues with flipping. But that discussion is for another time and place. I only plan on buying stuff that

1) I will display.

2) I will enjoy looking at.

3) Have a chance of increasing in value.

Sticking to just a couple lines isn't really a problem for me. Sideshow is the main company I am interested in, just because of the quality I see in their products, and the Marvel Line is my primary focus at the moment. I also dig the Terminator line, but they don't have much else I'm interested in. LOTR and some of the horror stuff is cool as hell, but even though I love the movies, I don't want to have all kinds of the memorabilia around my place. I don't really play with toys even on an occasional basis, so statues is where it's at for me.

Out of their other lines I'd only consider a Buffy PF (the original one), a Right Hand of Doom 1:1 and a Samaritan 1:1 Revolver from the Hellboy line. I don't have the $ for those now though so it doesn't matter if they'd turn up.

I'm also not interested in paying crazy ebay prices. If an item is sold out, depending on how awesome it was I might pay 50% more than original price, but it would have to be Iron Man Comiquette awesome. Usually if it's not close to retail, I pass, and just say "well, I missed that boat". If I do get lucky enough to nab a "close to OP or lower than OP" deal, then I always get the insurance.

I had a big balance on my card before I started and then I put about $1700 worth of statue purchases on it in the last month (like an idiot). Which was why I cut it up. It wasn't just the hobby, but the hobby was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. I am more than half my card limit in total charges (not just the statues though), but I still have a nice cushion, it's not maxed out. So now that I am forcing some self control upon myself everything will be great, I just have to pay off my debt.

I will still be pre-ordering any marvel stuff coming out that looks tight, and plan on completing the AH Comiquette line. I guess I should be glad they're so keen on these Legendary Scale busts right now just because I don't like them so I won't be trying to get them.

You have more willpower than me!! Good for you. I've cut way down on my buying (my credit cards bills frighten me everytime they arrive). As long as you don't find yourself lusting over some of the grail pieces you should be fine! :)

I lust over my grail pieces all the time. I refuse to pay those crazy eBay prices for them though. So unless someone wants to make a sweet trade when I hit post #50 and can post in the Want to Trade section, then I'll just be out of luck.

I have sold off a lot of stuff in the last few months and really narrowed my focus to just a few lines and I am much happier for it.

Same here. I cut way back as well. :winner

All I am collecting these days is still backtracking on the SS/W LotR pieces...and the only active line I am collecting is the SS LotR p.f. line, that's it.

So, my purchases are once in great while now. Rather then 5 or more a month. And, I am more happy now. No more financial burden of $800 worth of pre-orders shipping at once. And, when I do get a new piece, I appreciate it more.

I just won a SS/W Uruk-Hai Berserker statue for $57 on eBay last week, it arrived the other day, in brand new shape. And, I was thrilled.

You got a great collection going fathead. Just keep it within reason, and don't get carried away, like so many of us have in the past...

:)

My suggestion.

Stop while you still can!!!

You may think I am joking but honestly I am not. Save your money and enjoy the things you have now and walk away a healthier man. This is an addiction!!!
im thinking of quitting collecting and switching to smoking or drugs to save a few $$$.

My suggestion.

Stop while you still can!!!

You may think I am joking but honestly I am not. Save your money and enjoy the things you have now and walk away a healthier man. This is an addiction!!!

I totally agree! collection is another sort of addiction.

and I am hooked on it.
Thats all I think about !!

Great collection for a starter! Fat Head what is you Xbox Live name? Maybe we can play some Halo 3 of CoD 4 on Live :cool:

I got around to re-arranging my place, and this is a partial result. There are still areas that need major cleaning and stuff still needs to be hung, but I'm happy with it so far.

Let me know what you think so far, and I'd be happy to hear any suggestions if you have them!

For a beginner like me, that is good stuff! Well done:chew

Back