My 1st Commissioned Work: Custom AVP Predator #2--More Accurate than the First

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentSurfer

Good Enough Never Is!
CF Supporter
Reaction score
{GDZILLA95 buildup pics added}--My 1st Commissioned Work: Custom AVP Predator #2

For those who can't handle 1/6 toy nudity, you best not continue reading. Ye been warned maties.

pREDator.jpg

Glutten for punishment, I've done it again. I have improved my technique by remembering how tediously hard things were the first time. I have documented my progress again with over 70 photos which I have Photoshopped into a more forum friendly format. So, here goes...

After seeing my post of the AVP Elder I painstakingly converted into the Ultimate Scar Predator here:
https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81499
a fellow OSW & Freaks member, gdzilla95, commissioned me to do a facial resculpt, minus the scar, and quill job on his Elder head.

Here's how that turned out.

PuttyWork.jpg

I was extremely pleased at how well the quill arrangement went, and with how quicly I was able to do it after having a bit of experience after three other Predator quill jobs.

QhillsProfiles.jpg

Originally, I had agreed to this commission with the stipulation that I WOULD NOT go through the hell of painting the dreads and rings again. Not knowing the hell is was asking for, gdzilla95 said he would do the painting himself, but I was so inspired by the work at this point that I convinced gdzilla95 to let me go ahead and breathe life into into my new baby. He agreed with his own stipulation that I paint the whole body so it would at least match. I counter agreed--for a small additional fee of course.

QuillsPrimor.jpg

PrimorProfiles.jpg

The first time I did this, I didn't have the AVP: the Creature Effects of ADI book, but this time I did, and I was able to more accurately match the paint scheme and coloration.

FacePaint.jpg

The more I've researched the AVP Preds, the more I realize that Hot Toys really did a much better job than any of us had thought. The body was probably the simplest, most toylike part of the figures, but the paint scheme was actually quite accurate. I did pretty much redo it all to be slightly more accurate, but the basic tones and color patterns were right on to start with. I used to think that it was Hot Toys' beginning stages of Predhood making these look unspectacular as toys, but it was really ADI making them look unspectacular as Preds to begin with.

BodyComparison.jpg

HandsComparison.jpg

FeetComparison.jpg

Last edited:
Part 2:My 1st Commissioned Work: Custom AVP Predator #2--More Accurate than the First

Then it was time for the dreaded dreads. Previously, I had hand painted each one black with a brush, then went back and painted each ring in its color. This time I airbrushed them black, being very careful not to overspray onto my face paint. I should have masked it off, but I got lazy for timesake and trusted my steady aim (stupid), and I lucked out. What took days only took minutes, but the rings still needed to be done the hard way.

DreadsProgress.jpg

What was once an AVP Elder head was now my finest work and a much more accurately painted AVP Predator head.

Head--BeforeAfter.jpg

Head-to-BookComparison.jpg

PaintedProfiles.jpg

MugShotsForward.jpg

FullBody.jpg

HeadBody.jpg

Part 3:My 1st Commissioned Work: Custom AVP Predator #2--More Accurate than the First

gdzilla95 only comissioned the head and body work, so I didn't have the rest of the pieces for the full build up, but here are some side by side shots with my orignal Scar custom. Though I do still love my original Scar custom because it is still friggin' sweet, I really do wish it were as accurate as the new one since I was originally going for complete and total screen accuracy to begin with, but only had DVD captures and trading cards to go off of.

SidebySide.jpg

For some reason the new paint job seems to reflect more light, and because I don't have working flash on my once dropped digital camera, I tend to get a lot of glare in some of these photos. Plus the light was on the left side. These didn't turn out too bad considering.

SidebySidebySide.jpg

SidebySide--CloseUp.jpg

SidebySide--ArmsLegs.jpg

Where once there was only one, now there are two in the world.

Two Beautifully Ugly Motherhumpers. Yes, I said 'Motherhumpers'. What? It was cool in Tremors when Kevin Bacon said it.

SidebySideBadasses.jpg

Fantastic work!!Much improved upon Hot Toys' original sculpts!!!The paint detail is stellar!!

Really nice to the improvement over the stock tampos.
Awesome craftsmanship!
The spine work looks great!
It definitely pays off in your research to turn out such a great piece.
Your paint detail is crazy awesome.
Congrats on an outstanding figure!

great job!!! i've been meaning to contact Les or have someone else repaint my AVP Elder head to a respectable level.

I am currently working on a second commission and third custom Predator for another Freaks forum member. If any of you want a repaint job, or the full works, just send me a Private Message and we can do buisness. I love doing this work. It is time consuming and sometimes tedious, but it gives me time to just let my mind relax. It is actually a stress releaver for me. I even have a friend that brings me all his new Predator figures to just assemble and quill in exchange for movie tickets and meals. It's always nice to have some extra cash for figures too.

And thanks for the comments. You guys are the reason I do what I do. Actually, I do it for me because good enough rarely is, but then I do it for you.

Jaw dropping! I wish I had seen your quill work before I do the quills on my Elder awhile ago.

Back