Movies to get even MORE changes!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why backlash? Your points are completely valid, Rumi. :)

The case of SW is complicated, though -- it's the only series in the history of motion pictures that took thirty years to complete, and it's aiming at complete internal consistency. (Unlike Fritz Lang's Dr. Mabuse movies, for example.)

Add to that the fact that the films weren't made in the chronological order, and that the genre they're in is fully dependent on visual effects. And then it's easy to see why the older movies, if they're to work as sequels to the prequels, need to be brought into visual accord with them.

It's a different thing to changing their storyline (Han & Greedo), or even messing with their internal structure and rhythms (Alert my Star Destroyer) -- those will always remain points of contention.

Also, it's different to denying the audience the right to see the films as they originally looked -- not everyone should be forced to view them as a part of the now-completed saga.

Oh, and yes -- Lucas has to go back to making interesting and ORIGINAL movies, and pronto!

I think I'm right in saying that Star Wars is for kids. We all love it because we came to it as kids. Are there any rabid fans here wh only got into Star Wars as adults?

SW is for kids, and as such, I'm down with changes to the OT that bring it closer VISUALLY with the prequels. It damn near breaks my heart to read that some kid who loved the prequels watches the OT with his Dad and asks him," What's wrong with Yoda?" when he sees the puppet. I'd rather have Yoda digital so the kida can enjoy the thing that is TRULY important about these films, at least to me: the story and it's characters. If covering it in CGI is what it takes, fine. Does it dishonor the work of the artists and technicians that made it in the first place? I don't really think so. Their work has been lauded, praised, heralded, and studied more than that of any in their trade before or since. That work, outdated as it may be, was groundbreaking and has certainly received it's due.

And if Lucas wants to continue playing in the Star Wars universe, I can't blame him, because so do I.

Customikey said:
I think I'm right in saying that Star Wars is for kids. We all love it because we came to it as kids. Are there any rabid fans here wh only got into Star Wars as adults?

SW is for kids, and as such, I'm down with changes to the OT that bring it closer VISUALLY with the prequels. It damn near breaks my heart to read that some kid who loved the prequels watches the OT with his Dad and asks him," What's wrong with Yoda?" when he sees the puppet. I'd rather have Yoda digital so the kida can enjoy the thing that is TRULY important about these films, at least to me: the story and it's characters. If covering it in CGI is what it takes, fine. Does it dishonor the work of the artists and technicians that made it in the first place? I don't really think so. Their work has been lauded, praised, heralded, and studied more than that of any in their trade before or since. That work, outdated as it may be, was groundbreaking and has certainly received it's due.

And if Lucas wants to continue playing in the Star Wars universe, I can't blame him, because so do I.

DITTO!!! 100% agree with you!

I love the puppet Yoda. I love the kick butt CGI Yoda too. It does bother me that they look so different though. I don't see how Yoda's color changed so much in 20 years along with a few other differences. Going from puppet to CGI in ESB and ROTJ...that's probably one of the points I would feel the most conflicted about.

Bardoon said:
I heard about some of Lucas' changes...here's a rumored list:

- Jabba will also be digitally altered to resemble Rosie O'Donnell.

No, that one's too easy.

Customikey said:
It damn near breaks my heart to read that some kid who loved the prequels watches the OT with his Dad and asks him," What's wrong with Yoda?" when he sees the puppet.
"What's wrong with Stormtroopers Daddy?"

"They're real."

"Oh."

King Darkness said:
Totally off subject, but what the story on the SW television show?
If you mean the live action show, the latest rumblings I have heard are that it will be set between ROTS and ANH with the stories focusing on the beginings of the Rebellion and the Empire focusing on the soldiers from both sides... Hopefully they will take a few pointers from BSG on how to accomplish this and make ita great show.

Back