Movies to get even MORE changes!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember not all changes (for those who hate the idea) are bad... One of the rumoured changes are to the Hoth Battle. Can you imagine the potential THAT would unleash for that scene? Way more AT-ATs and the snow speeders would just be som much more dynamic... really the battle as a whole will be so much more dynamic.

Now I have the original theatrical versions of the OT on DVD I really don't give a crap about any more changes. Instead of constantly buggering about with the films that made him so rich he should remake the prequels using the same low tech methods as the OT so the characters & story get put before the FX. That way we might get a set of prequels worth watching more than a couple of times instead of the 3 godawful CGI wankfests that Lucas delivered first time round.

bcm77 said:
Now I have the original theatrical versions of the OT on DVD I really don't give a crap about any more changes. Instead of constantly buggering about with the films that made him so rich he should remake the prequels using the same low tech methods as the OT so the characters & story get put before the FX. That way we might get a set of prequels worth watching more than a couple of times instead of the 3 godawful CGI wankfests that Lucas delivered first time round.

:lecture :banghead

I actually like how the Hoth battle is now. But perhaps they could fix some other things. Like Lukes aqua/blue/green lightsaber in ANH on the Millennium Falcon. Or fix some of the nasty stuff in the asteroid chase.

bcm77 said:

Ugh, thanks for that illuminating analysis of the prequels. :rolleyes:

bcm77 said:

You did what while watching the PT?:lol

mfoga said:
You did what while watching the PT?:lol
Certainly not!!
What I was trying to say was that the PT was little more than several badly conceived CGI set pieces with no real time and effort put into creating strong characters.

bcm77 said:
Certainly not!!
What I was trying to say was that the PT was little more than several badly conceived CGI set pieces with no real time and effort put into creating strong characters.

I was about to say that this is a debate for another thread, but I guess this really is THAT thread, isn't it....

So, here goes.

I think Lucas has always excelled at creating a compelling storyline, but his characters have always been very dependant on performance. When Lucas takes a hand in sculpting performances, things go wonky, because his focus is always on the overall tale, and not so much on the moments that create compelling characters. He's at his best when he does the outline and allows someone else to flesh it out, I think.

I don't think actors should merely be "an element" in the scene. It should be about what they're doing, not what's in the window behind them that takes up most of the director's attention. I beleive he did himself a mis-service by insisting on cutting together shots. It's clever, yes, but some question of the scene needs to be considered in terms of connection between real people feeding off of each other. That's an atmosphere of creativity I think is lacking on camera, whereas it's abundant behind the camera.

Having said that, I do enjoy a good CGI Wankfest. I find the prequels enjoyable and quite palatable, if not terribly filling.

You know Mikey, I just read your comment about Bib in the exclusives thread and it made me think, they should add Bib into Jabba's entourage that was with him in the Falcon bay of ANH, I would think he would have been in there when they added Boba Fett, Bib seems to be Jabba's main worker and he's in Ep1 so now it'd be really fitting to have him seen in ANH.

MaulFan said:
You know Mikey, I just read your comment about Bib in the exclusives thread and it made me think, they should add Bib into Jabba's entourage that was with him in the Falcon bay of ANH, I would think he would have been in there when they added Boba Fett, Bib seems to be Jabba's main worker and he's in Ep1 so now it'd be really fitting to have him seen in ANH.

Maybe for ANH, they could remember to give him his long fingers. That bugs me a little in TPM.

I think it's possible Jabba would leave Bib at the Palace to keep things in order while he went out and gave face time to his favorite smuggler.

If they were to cut him into the ANH scene, I'd want them to put him in over the Rodian. It bothers me that they're talking about Greedo getting fried, and I'm like," He's right there!!"

Customikey said:
Maybe for ANH, they could remember to give him his long fingers. That bugs me a little in TPM.

I think it's possible Jabba would leave Bib at the Palace to keep things in order while he went out and gave face time to his favorite smuggler.

If they were to cut him into the ANH scene, I'd want them to put him in over the Rodian. It bothers me that they're talking about Greedo getting fried, and I'm like," He's right there!!"

Well technically he was in Jedi all along too, the Rodian in the palace basically looks like Greedo.

MaulFan said:
Well technically he was in Jedi all along too, the Rodian in the palace basically looks like Greedo.

AHHH!!!!! NOOOOO!!!!!!! :horror

What did you do? What did you just do?

Man, one of my favorite sequences, and Beedo or Deedo, or whatever his name is has to pop up....

Friggin lazy, is what it is.
Like all the prequel aliens suddenly having the same hands.

Customikey said:
I was about to say that this is a debate for another thread, but I guess this really is THAT thread, isn't it....

So, here goes.

I think Lucas has always excelled at creating a compelling storyline, but his characters have always been very dependant on performance. When Lucas takes a hand in sculpting performances, things go wonky, because his focus is always on the overall tale, and not so much on the moments that create compelling characters. He's at his best when he does the outline and allows someone else to flesh it out, I think.

I don't think actors should merely be "an element" in the scene. It should be about what they're doing, not what's in the window behind them that takes up most of the director's attention. I beleive he did himself a mis-service by insisting on cutting together shots. It's clever, yes, but some question of the scene needs to be considered in terms of connection between real people feeding off of each other. That's an atmosphere of creativity I think is lacking on camera, whereas it's abundant behind the camera.

Having said that, I do enjoy a good CGI Wankfest. I find the prequels enjoyable and quite palatable, if not terribly filling.

:clap :clap :clap :clap

everything he said ^^^^^^

bcm77 said:
Certainly not!!

But you still saw them, right?

I bet you even own the DVDs.

EVILFACE said:
But you still saw them, right?

I bet you even own the DVDs.

Sure I've seen them,I was as optimistic as anyone that they would be as good as the OT but overall I thought they just weren't as fun and there's very few scenes I'd want to see again so for me it's not worth buying the DVD's or any future versions on a different format.

I heard about some of Lucas' changes...here's a rumored list:

-Luke Skywalker will be beaten to the punch of destroying the Death Star by another X-Wing flown by George Lucas.

-Chewie will be digitally more hairy.

-Leia will digitally be less hairy.

-In every scene, Boba Fett will digitally give off a purple aura of coolness. Why is it purple? That's the color of coolness according to Lucas.

-New Jabba's hos will be digitally added. Jabba will also be digitally altered to resemble Rosie O'Donnell.

-Much to Mark Hamill's dismay, Lucas is adding more lines for Skywalker to make him sound like more of a whiner so you can further hear the family resemblence between him and Anakin.

-Despite all of Lucas' digital enhancements, he has still not figured out how digitally make the majority of Star Wars fans not virgins. :(

:chew

madden821 said:
I just have one reply to that :dump

Although now that I have the REAL movies on dvd its ok if he wants to screw them up even more now... I can watch my originals forever.

Wait until you purchase an HDTV... :rolleyes:

I have to laugh a little when people complain about the originals not being all cleaned up and pristine. As if they looked any better in the theater.

I was born in 1979. For me to get the full-on nostalgia experience, I have to watch the movies in pan-scan, faded VHS format. No thank you. Memories are one thing, but I like my Vader black, not fading blue.

I was born in 1970, and the movies indeed looked pristine in their initial theatrical showings. Hard to believe, but they didn't come out of the lab scratched and faded. Nor on VHS. ;)

I do fully support Lucas' right to tinker with his films, whatever the merit of the changes. (For the record, I like most of them.) It's just sad when a movie like Star Wars -- declared a national treasure, and listed in the Library of Congress, which is in charge of preserving its negative -- is suddenly declared "unavailable in its original form", and we're made to believe that the only remnant of its 1977 incarnation is a laserdisc transfer from the mid-1990s, however good for its time.

Still, don't let me derail the thread. :wave

Why more tweaking? Just because the technology is there and he can? Not a psychologist, but his constant tinkering with this property speaks of obsessiveness. I understand his desire to make the films he originally wanted, had he had the technical capabilities at the time and is now realizing that dream for "perfection", but I can't say that any enhancements he's made has "improved" any of it in substance. His focus on the latest oh-wow technical "fixes" does not do anything for me. There is nothing wrong with letting a film stand as originally released...it serves as a record of that particular group/talent of that particular moment in time.

Lucas needs to move on. He needs to channel his creative juices into another property as writer, consultant, or producer (as with Indy franchise) and quit tinkering.

(and now, I'll go hide in the corner from the backlash....:monkey3 )

Back