Movies getting ruined by the media

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeyflow33

Super Freak
Reaction score
Is it just me or in the last year or so have movie, comic and general media sites been ruining movies for everyone?

I just opened up yahoo to check my mail and there's an article on the front page with a potential huge Batman v Superman spoiler in a headline. Who are the people that want their movie ruined before seeing it?

Slashfilm, Comicbookmovie, etc were sites I would check on a daily basis and they've just started ruining tv shows and movies so much for me that I've completely cut out every comic book related site.

Am I crazy about this?

yea, true. Mr. Green did enjoy the spoiler posted about the last episode of The Walking Dead but movie is a whole different kind. and most of these post on the movie thread are junk/filler post that Mr. Green don't have time to read/post anyway. outside spoiler just not even interest him

It's the need to stand out on the internet. Everyone wants to be first to put it all out there, to break a story without checking, or gain what pathetic notoriety they can by beating everyone else to the punch. That's not just media - well, so called media. Everyone with a connected device thinks they're a journalist now. :lol Everyone has to run to someplace on the web in the hopes of blabbing something big, and none of them think about it first.

It's definitely annoying. At the very least they should leave spoilers out of the headlines and give some warning to the reader. I find myself avoiding a lot of internet sites in the weeks before a movie I want to see is released. I try not to go into the movie threads here for awhile as well. I miss being surprised while watching a new movie.

My go-to online newspaper has a habit of posting Game of Thrones spoilers on the front page. Arseholes.

"Darth Vader is Luke's Father"
warning: article may have spoilers!

there was a study that said that people love spoilers and being spoiled makes you enjoy the movie a lot more
im not even kidding

A study at the University of California, San Diego revealed that, much in contrast to popular belief, spoilers actually enhance our enjoyment.
In a series of experiments, researchers presented test subjects with one of three different versions of a story:
one that was spoiled beforehand,
one that was in its original, unspoiled state,
and one that had the spoiler incorporated somewhere in the middle --

To the absolute shock of all, Test subjects who knew the spoilers beforehand enjoyed the stories significantly more than those who experienced them unspoiled.
Subjects exposed to middle-point spoilers also enjoyed the stories less

Researchers theorize that this is because we tend to focus primarily on the plot and the resulting suspense,
which prevents us from chilling out and taking in all the other wondrous elements that make up good storytelling.

Or, as Jonathan Leavitt of UC San Diego's psychology department more eloquently put it, "Once you know how it turns out, it's cognitively easier -- you're more comfortable processing the information -- and [you] can focus on a deeper understanding of the story."

your brain LOVES spoilers :lol

5 Factors That Secretly Influence How Much You Like a Movie | Cracked.com

there was a study that said that people love spoilers and being spoiled makes you enjoy the movie a lot more
im not even kidding

A study at the University of California, San Diego revealed that, much in contrast to popular belief, spoilers actually enhance our enjoyment.
In a series of experiments, researchers presented test subjects with one of three different versions of a story:
one that was spoiled beforehand,
one that was in its original, unspoiled state,
and one that had the spoiler incorporated somewhere in the middle --

To the absolute shock of all, Test subjects who knew the spoilers beforehand enjoyed the stories significantly more than those who experienced them unspoiled.
Subjects exposed to middle-point spoilers also enjoyed the stories less

Researchers theorize that this is because we tend to focus primarily on the plot and the resulting suspense, which prevents us from chilling out and taking in all the other wondrous elements that make up good storytelling.
Or, as Jonathan Leavitt of UC San Diego's psychology department more eloquently put it, "Once you know how it turns out, it's cognitively easier -- you're more comfortable processing the information -- and [you] can focus on a deeper understanding of the story."

your brain LOVES spoilers :lol

'+windowtitle+'

I can totally see this, you know what will happen so you relax and enjoy it more.

I can totally see this, you know what will happen so you relax and enjoy it more.

Yeah something like that.
i know most people (myself included) hate spoilers but it does make sense when they explain it like that

I actually tend to like spoiling things for myself. But that's different because I seek it out when I want to, rather than trip over it when I don't expect it because some ADD ****** with impulse control problems has a compulsive need to blab everything without thinking. :lol

I feel like I already know the entire plot of the Avengers 2, just simply from seeing the toys and knowing about the upcoming movies. . . like it's pretty obvious what's going to happen.

I feel like I already know the entire plot of the Avengers 2, just simply from seeing the toys and knowing about the upcoming movies. . . like it's pretty obvious what's going to happen.

but that's not the fault of the trailers but of how predictable the movie is going to be though....

i mean, the trailer doesn't even really show that much, the toys are not that different than the toys for the first movie. It's just that it is going to be an extremely genetic movie

The research that the Cracked article is relying on relates to literature, not film. The presumption is that a reader of a book engages with the written content in the same way that a viewer of a film engages with audio-visual content. This is not the case - the two modes of engagement are substantively different.

The research that the Cracked article is relying on relates to literature, not film. The presumption is that a reader of a book engages with the written content in the same way that a viewer of a film engages with audio-visual content. This is not the case - the two modes of engagement are substantively different.

doesn't it still apply?

yea, think they extrapolated the result to include movies. supposedly the study is based on written stories. movies offer a much wider, extensive media

but that's not the fault of the trailers but of how predictable the movie is going to be though....

i mean, the trailer doesn't even really show that much, the toys are not that different than the toys for the first movie. It's just that it is going to be an extremely genetic movie

I wasn't talking about the trailer. I was referring to OP's topic that media and the web in general was spoiling movies, and I agree. Just the fact that the next Marvel movie is Civil War, to me, gives a pretty good indication of the outcome of Avengers 2. They should've waited until after AOU to announce that.

I probably wouldn't feel like AOU was spoiled if Marvel didn't have that big summit a while back and announce the next 7 years of movies. While impressive at the outset, it was pretty spoiler-ific

doesn't it still apply?

No. Or at the very least, in the absence of a similar empirical study, not necessarily. Reading a book typically demands a far more active engagement of the reader than watching a movie does of the viewer. The way characters and imagery are formed through engagement with an author's text evokes a very different aesthetic experience than having a director or cinematographer form them on screen. Generally speaking, in reading a book you're a participant whilst in watching a movie you're a spectator. Therefore the impact of a spoiler on the film watching experience, where so much is directed to elicit a particular response of the viewer, is far greater than when delivered in the far more participatory medium of text.

Back