Movie grosses are down from last year (tho think Thor/JL/SW will save the BO)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One time someone was playing with their phone candy crush or something and i started to mimick the noises with my mouth and they put it away lol.
Another time someone was talking in a movie and i would repeat their last word, they stopped lol.

I saw Dead Alive at the theater with some friends from work and it was a theater pub so we were eating pizza and everything while watching that scene. It was so utterly disgustng that I'm surprised the entire auditorium didn't turn into a "Stand By Me" barf-o-rama, lol. Man that movie was a blast to see with a crowd.

I saw Dead Alive at the theater with some friends from work and it was a theater pub so we were eating pizza and everything while watching that scene. It was so utterly disgustng that I'm surprised the entire auditorium didn't turn into a "Stand By Me" barf-o-rama, lol. Man that movie was a blast to see with a crowd.

:lol:lol:lol

Hadn't thought about it but so far haven't been heaved on re any movie w. shaky/motion cam.:monkey3 LOL for some movies they put up warnings.:monkey3

Just another reason to 1) sit as far away from other people as possible or 2) stay home so you can be sick in private. Man, working at theater must suck in some ways. I'd want a HAZMAT suit.

And I think this is true at least for me. Like I wanted to see Kong. But then I missed it and didn't care 'coz I could see it at home soon enough. It's only SOME movies I feel deprived if I don't see on big screen. POTC was one of those (saw twice). MCU. SW and like that. But IMO this year doesn't seem to have been that much to haul me out to a theater either.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4312
Sony's The Dark Tower topped the softest weekend at the domestic box office since early April, opening with less than $20 million. Among other new releases, Aviron's Kidnap had a modest showing, squeaking above $10 million, while Annapurna's Detroit was unable to take off in its nationwide expansion. Overall, with the top twelve films grossing $111.5 million makes this the lowest grossing weekend of the summer season and sixth lowest of the year as the 2017 summer movie season is currently down ~10% compared to 2016.

At #1, Sony's release of The Dark Tower, a long-awaited adaptation of the Stephen King sci-fi/fantasy series, delivered an estimated $19.5 million from 3,451 locations. It's a disappointing debut for the $60 million production, which is expected to kick-off a multi-platform franchise with co-financier MRC currently developing a television series. That being said, this is the second largest opening weekend ever for a King adaptation, behind the $20.6 million debut for 2007's 1408, which went on to gross over $70 million domestically, but don't look for Dark Tower to reach those heights, which is more likely to settle closer to $50-55 million once all is said and done.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/08/07/wonder-woman-spider-man-and-the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-saved-the-summer-box-office/

If not for the superhero movies this summer would have been a domestic disaster. As of yesterday, the total domestic grosses of the 2017 summer slate is around $3.081 billion between May 5, 2017 and Aug. 6, 2017. And about $1.083b, or 35% of that came from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Wonder Woman and Spider-Man: Homecoming. Tossing in Dunkirk, Despicable Me 3 and Pirates 5 gets you another $545m, which makes the top six movies (yes, Dunkirk will eventually pass Cars 3) responsible for 52% of the entire domestic box office from the beginning of May to the beginning of August. If you take those three comic book movies out of the equation, you get a running domestic total of just under $2b thus far, and I don’t think the August slate is going to add much to the equation between now and Labor Day....

But now, audiences have fully embraced the at-home options (Netflix, VOD, cable, etc.). If audiences want to see a specific movie in theaters, they will go. If they don’t want to see a given release in theaters, they will no longer go to the movies just to go to the movies, opting instead to binge-watch a buzzy episodic series, watch a previous incarnation of a rebooted franchise or catch up on earlier theatrical offerings on VOD or DVD. That’s one reason why reviews are seeming to have more of an impact of late, and why bad reviews are hurting bad movies more than good reviews are helping good movies. Moviegoers are using reviews (be it the prominently displayed Rotten Tomatoes score or pre-release social media buzz) as an excuse to not go to theaters, as opposed to a reason to see something they otherwise might not have sampled.

I'd probably see a movie a week if I could. But....life gets in the way.

I used to watch 3 movies in high school per week. pay for one, just hang around for the other two. the people in the theater didn't mind as long as you bought food before each movie. which i always did.
but then the theater closed lol

my favorite was the dollar theater. movies were 2 bucks per ticket. I saw scott pilgrim there like 7 times. but that one closed as well.

Back