Premium Format Morgul Lord Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Witch-king / Lord of the Nazgul PF?

I like this, but I agree the sword should be bigger. And maybe the chain on the mace be a little shorter?

Did any of you read some of the stupid ass comments people left about this clip?

No, I was concentrating on the scene itself. Seeing as I am now 1 hour into a 36 hour shift I'll have to wait until Thurs. morning to look at them. I can't access YouTube at work. :(

I like this, but I agree the sword should be bigger. And maybe the chain on the mace be a little shorter?

I think so too. I'm going to make that suggestion to Sideshow. They did listen to collectors concerning Galadriel's hair so who knows. If enough people contact them maybe they'll adjust the sword as well.

Last edited:

The body positioning makes sense considering the mace is behind him and he needs some leverage to lift it, so I don't have a problem with that. The excl. on the other hand looks awful....what were SS thinking. :cuckoo: Reg. edition for me thanks. :)

Except the mace is lying flat on the ground, even with some slack chain, so he's not even anywhere near starting to life it up. Besides, he's the witchking, he was flinging that thing around like it was made of paper. As such, the body really tends to look like he's dislocated a few joints in those photo's.

The cloth work and the actual sculpting does look nicely done tho.

No, I was concentrating on the scene itself. Seeing as I am now 1 hour into a 36 hour shift I'll have to wait until Thurs. morning to look at them. I can't access YouTube at work. :(

I think so too. I'm going to make that suggestion to Sideshow. They did listen to collectors concerning Galadriel's hair so who knows. If enough people contact them maybe they'll adjust the sword as well.

damn. a 36 hour work shift. are you a doctor or something.

Last edited:

As someone who has a 1/1 scale full Ringwraith setup (with WK Helm and sword/dagger as well), I think I might be able to chime in... :D

1) First off, PF has giraffe neck going on. Look at where his shoulder would be, and then look at his head posture, he is either reptilian or has a double jointed neck. Not movie or prop accurate.

2) Sword is too small on PF, he is supposed to be able to fully wrap BOTH hands around the hilt of the sword. Its a longsword (for a wraith too), not a "regular" length sword. See the attached pictures for some REAL size references. I'm roughly 7-2 in the wraith picture, (see the size of the wraith sword in the picture), then see the WK sword in relation to the wraith blade in the other photo. Now look at the PF...

3) Strain in lifting is caused from tension/weight, not a slack chain as shown in the PF. He's also not showing proper "Flail Handling" (its not a mace, its a flail!) technique, you keep the "head" of your handle down in correlation with the chain, then move in a Swinging motion. The PFs pose would only result in a jerking tug and be MURDER on your wrist.

4) The cloaks look only "OK". Cloth at this scale can only do so much, but he needs a layer or 2 more and the back of the head/neck looks all off/wrong. But this might be fixed/adjustable somewhat.

Very thoughtful analysis. I also own a 1:1 scale ringwraith sword, which is pretty much the same size as the Witch-King sword, so I concur with your observation. But yeah, now that you point it out, the neck area where a head would normally be to just looks all wrong and disjointed. I own this character in 3 different formats (the SSW Morgul Lord on Fell Beast being the least indicative for obvious reasons), so I can give the PF a miss and not be too upset about it. I'm sure someone will figure out a way to customize it and make it look better. But I'm glad this long anticipated lives up to some folk's expectations. It just doesn't live up to mine. :peace

Yes, I see the full weight of the Morning Star is on the ground with some slack in the chain, so I can see why he'd need leveraging if he were a weakling. However, in the film he lifts and swings the mace as if it were a rag doll and not something than weighed a metric ton, so we're led to assume that he must possess some supernatural strength in order to lift it.

Ummmmm......you were saying. You might want to pay careful attention from about the 1:20 to 1:30 mark. :monkey3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSNPeJAgBzo&feature=related

Except the mace is lying flat on the ground, even with some slack chain, so he's not even anywhere near starting to life it up. Besides, he's the witchking, he was flinging that thing around like it was made of paper. As such, the body really tends to look like he's dislocated a few joints in those photo's.

The cloth work and the actual sculpting does look nicely done tho.

You and BF must have a different DVD version than I do....:lol

damn a 36 hour work shift. are you a doctor or something.

Or something....firefighter. Our shifts are 24 hours, but I'm covering another 12 for a friend. :)

From the angle of his head, I think this Mogul Lord needs a new pillow. Looks like he has a sore neck after a night of restless and bad sleep on a flat pillow.

Everything is better than the horrible flame sword that doesnt appear on the movie (I hope if we have a Gimli PF they dont put a bow on his hands with the exclusive version). :cuckoo:
I have done an example of a "maybe" exclusive version, breaking the darkness of the figure and showing who has killed the rohir king:

n6cmthcopia.jpg

Looks to be huge. Look at the SS apple next to the base. Then go to the Berserker PF and do the same. Huge I tell ya.

I really like the statue. I wish I could say love it. The pose is a bit weird to me, the swinging of the mace is just not quite right, and the exclusive flame sword is not even a part of the scene.

A exclusive that I would have liked is Eowyn's helm at his feet.

If I can order an exclusive... great. However, I will not be too upset if I only get in on the regular edition.

Everything is better than the horrible flame sword that doesnt appear on the movie (I hope if we have a Gimli PF they dont put a bow on his hands with the exclusive version). :cuckoo:
I have done an example of a "maybe" exclusive version, breaking the darkness of the figure and showing who has killed the rohir king:

n6cmthcopia.jpg

Yeah, except it does appear in the movie. It didn't occur in the scene this PF is based on, but it really did happen....honest. :wink1:

Disappointing...I was hoping this would be my first LOTR Sideshow piece.

The flaming sword is absolutely, positively, awful...it seriously cheapens the piece. I know it's difficult to depict fire, but if it comes out looking like that give it up and do something else for the EX.

It would have made for a HUGE PF, but the Morgul Lord pose at approximately 1:38 of the You Tube video Woodsy posted would have been fantastic (can anyone do a screen cap?). Arms extended, sword in right hand, morning star in the other.

Hopefully, Sideshow can tweak the flaming blade so the WHOLE blade is flaming, instead of flames only on the top portion of the blade.

Yeah, except it does appear in the movie. It didn't occur in the scene this PF is based on, but it really did happen....honest. :wink1:

I meant on the scene, sorry. If I am not wrong, I remember Lord Morgul riding the beast with the flaming sword. Not good idea to mix scenes.
As I said, anything better than that. Honestly, it seems a Hot Toys sword... :slap

So much for this piece getting me back into the p.f. line. The pose is too busy for me, like the GTW pose. Plus, I don't like the look of the helm, it looks like its just sitting there...can't describe it.

I should of kept the L.S. Bust when I had it...

:slap

Nope. We're all watching the same DVD. Check out that youtube link of yours and see how he effortlessly lifts the morning star flail with one hand as he rises to his feet, just before he begins to engage Eowyn in mortal combat. He's not bracing himself because it's heavy for him, he's hauling back because he wants to crush the living sh!et out of Eowyn. :lol :monkey3

Everything is better than the horrible flame sword that doesnt appear on the movie

Actually, the flaming sword appears in the extended DVD version of the film in the scene where he faces Gandalf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b_OpnKNl2g

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/8b_OpnKNl2g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/8b_OpnKNl2g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Not really, at around 1:06 in that clip he seems to be lifting that mace (or whatever you want to call it), pretty darn easy and yes, he's putting his full body into it but he's still swing around what in theory weights a ton with ease and it's momentum isn't pulling him off his feet.
Just look at around 1:32 where Eowyn's shield is smashed, he's flinging that sideways and standing fully upright.
It seems the weight of the mace means nothing too him and even when his neck etc does look a bit like the PF, that's in full swing and follow-through, not just half picking the thing up off the ground, like it is in the PF.

Another comment that I'm sure won't make it through moderation:

The flaming sword looks like a toy. The chain on the morning star is too long. The sword is too small. The neck/head is awkward, hence making the overall piece look awkward. Before you decide not to post these comments, please forward this critique to someone at Sideshow who would care to listen to honest feedback. Thanks. :monkey3

Aw man.. If done right, Morgul Lord could've been the best in the line.

Didn't think I would be saying this, but I'm gonna have to pass on this one :(

Back