Molecule8 John Lennon UPDATE 5/10/18 - SCAM COMPANY!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Molecule8 (New company)

Wow these arguments are getting silly and somewhat ironic given it's a John lennon figure we are discussing. Can't we all just get along. :)

I think we all know there are far more important things in life than these figures. At the same hobbies are a welcome distraction from the events work/life throws at us and when buying several of these figures a year it's not a cheap hobby so yeah they are a little more than run of the mill action figures.

Glad someone out there has continued to re-invent the wheel or can you imagine what we'd be driving on today?

This is the same kind of anti-thought, anti-design, anti-knowledge, anti-science rhetoric that's infesting the rest of the world - in itself a regurgitation of the backwards status-quo that's always been around. Because you don't understand something doesn't mean it doesn't have value or purpose.

Glad someone out there has continued to re-invent the wheel or can you imagine what we'd be driving on today?

This is the same kind of anti-thought, anti-design, anti-knowledge, anti-science rhetoric that's infesting the rest of the world - in itself a regurgitation of the backwards status-quo that's always been around. Because you don't understand something doesn't mean it doesn't have value or purpose.

Youre painting with an enormously broad brush. Someone is anti-thought, etc because they want to keep the price down of a figure? Oddly, i gave specific examples in my post about where this innovation would be welcomed. Or if they want to make the body and sell them, they could do that.

It's like getting a gun to kill a fly. It's just not needed and other ways and methods can achieve the same thing at a lower cost. Engineering some high tech body is overkill for THIS project. And in the end i believe it will raise the price considerably.

What do you think of the Molecule8 figure?

"My wife is amazing. Great woman. Truly gifted and full of love. Amazing human. Great."

Yeah, but what do you think of the Molecule8 figure?

"My kids are awesome. Great, great people. Amazing. There's no better."

Okay, but what about the Molecule8 figure?

"I have a perfect house. Truly amazing. Great house. Great Life. I am great. Better than anyone here."

Right. . . *sigh*

So, moving on and trolls aside, can we get back on to positive and constructive speculation about the Lennon figure?

Can't we all just get along. :)

:lecture :exactly: My ignore list is getting longer by the day :lol

We're not talking about heart surgery here. We're talking about a body that is completely covered up by a skin that you won't see unless you decide to strip that skin off. They are over engineering a body that doesn't need to be and adding to the cost in the process. A regular old jointed body would be fine for Lennon.

Also from a business perspective if i was a start up and trying to break into the market, im not sure i would spend my limited resources engineering a new body for a john lennon figure. I think i'd rather use those resouces to get the best artists or get licenses no one has. But engineering a body to give john lennon the posability of spiderman would be low on my list considering 1. He doesnt need it, 2. There are a ton of alternatives at a lower cost, and 3. Money/time could be better spent elsewhere.

Engineering some high tech body is overkill for THIS project. And in the end i believe it will raise the price considerably.

They've already published the price. It's dirt-cheap for what's being offered. They're engineering a body that will be used for ALL their figures. You can't do that with the plastic bodies everyone else engineers. That's a lot of re-engineering for every single figure that needs a change.

The brush I'm painting with is half a nanometer in diameter, you could write a novel on a fly's testicle with it.

You also assumed incorrectly about their resources being quite so limited. They've obviously come into this with deep pockets to get to where they are right now. Check the job history of the people in the document I linked earlier.

Also not sure why people keep bringing up Spider-man. No one has used a steel skeleton on such a figure. In fact they're used primarily by Phicen on much more mundane figures.

Every post shows that some people just don't get it. This company is getting the buzz and the sales precisely because of the product/design decisions they've made, not in spite of them.

Last edited:

We're not talking about heart surgery here. We're talking about a body that is completely covered up by a skin that you won't see unless you decide to strip that skin off. They are over engineering a body that doesn't need to be and adding to the cost in the process. A regular old jointed body would be fine for Lennon.

See my very FIRST sentence about wheels. Think only about ACTUAL wheels and tires.

These guys have PRE-SOLD 1000 figures without so much as showing a photo of a completed prototype - within a few short days. How anyone can argue they're "doing it wrong" is beyond me. :slap

Last edited:

I agree. But look at it this way: If I am going to test run a new body, I would test it on a figure where the market will provide feedback but there won't be the outrage there normally would be with a character like, say, Legolas.

I don't even know how I am going to pose Lennon... I really need to source a 1:6 piano...

"This is the same kind of anti-thought, anti-design, anti-knowledge, anti-science rhetoric that's infesting the rest of the world - in itself a regurgitation of the backwards status-quo that's always been around. Because you don't understand something doesn't mean it doesn't have value or purpose."

This is your response to those who say it's not necessary for a variety of reasons to do some fantastic engineering job for a new body on John Lennon figure. Is that accurate?

And you don't find this statement to be a gross oversimplification or a generalization regarding the people with whom you disagree on this issue? In fact, you think this is a narrowly tailored statement (fly testicles)? Is that accurate?

I believe that this guy had the audacity to call someone else pretentious??? Wow! Because someone else has a different opinion on how an action figure's body should be designed they suddenly were a participant in the Spanish Inquisition? Scary. As off the rails as this thread has gone the one thing that it clearly illustrates is that there are collectors who are passionate about their hobby, but also have well adjusted and meaningful lives that surround their hobby...and then there are people who post things like the gobbledygook above.

" engineering job for a new body on John Lennon figure.

This body was not engineered for a John Lennon figure.

Whats wrong with wanting to do something better?

Apparently everything. Everyone should do everything exactly the same as everyone else. Then get the constant reaffirmation some folks have to post about "the rest" of their lives like they're trying to convince themselves of something. Big tells, IMO.

I agree with what Pixel is fundamentally saying - They have created a very cool body that's generating a lot of buzz (if nothing else) that they can use on other figures. Fair play to them. And I also agree with Pixeltwin regarding collector feedback on a simple figure first. All very logical, IMO.

This thread just shows how stuck in their ways some people are. The company is trying to stand out in a very competitive market. Who cares if it's over-engineered? How does that affect you as a collector exactly? If they have the finances to push boundaries and go over the top to stand out, then bring it on, I say.

It's not just this industry that people are risk avert these days. People taking risks are what creates the next breakthrough (another point I think Pixel was making to the short-sighted). Makes it very exciting and brings freshness to a very stale industry.

What would be the cost of the figure be if the r&d for this new body was not included?

How many more figures would they have sold, if any, if the price was lower?

How many more ppl would be glad this was in their budget if the price was $50 less?

I didnt read anyone's post that said dont innovate. In fact i think that argument flies in the face of the general consensus of this forum- ppl are always looking for better or upgraded or more realistic. Ive read a lot of things that focused on cost and necessity. A world away from the claim of "dont innovate". If i missed those postings would someone be so kind as to show me?

Have to agree, innovation should never be discouraged. As good as the high end action figures are I'm sure there are ways to make them even better. Hopefully Molecule 8 really do bring something new which will push HT/Blitzway etc to up their game to. We, the consumers, can only benefit.

I didnt read anyone's post that said dont innovate. In fact i think that argument flies in the face of the general consensus of this forum- ppl are always looking for better or upgraded or more realistic. Ive read a lot of things that focused on cost and necessity. A world away from the claim of "dont innovate". If i missed those postings would someone be so kind as to show me?

I think you're missing the point here. You've answered your own question in your own post.

R&D is always included in the cost of a figure though.

Exactly. And that body R&D cost is split across hopefully many different figures to come. Another point that's being missed.

Back