Molecule8 John Lennon UPDATE 5/10/18 - SCAM COMPANY!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Molecule8 (New company)

Right. Its an armature. But the silicon over the armature isn't seamless. Maybe someone with more time than I have will post a screenshot from that booklet M8 put out.

I don't understand why in the interview he discusses what to me seemed seamless figures and how he didn't like how they bent at the elbows. etc. and they would do it better. Maybe I misunderstood that part. Obviously seamless on this first figure and all of the figures I am interested so far from their potential lineup is not needed but not sure why you would go to the extents of building silicone body molds and what not if there was no discernable difference from tooling a universal plastic body (i.e. True-Type or whatever). Also actually finishing the outside of the armature either for that matter and what we see of the sculpt is definitely not over that skull... it looks just like what HT always teases of their proto sculpts in hand (the neck join, etc.)

Maybe because he's wearing a jacket they won't bother going seamless?

Last edited:

I think we all have the same questions. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

So I know this is kind of a crap screencap, but I can't figure out how to download the PDF to grab proper caps, anyways.

This is the body from the PDF

Body.jpg

It looks like a test shot of some sort, notice the black plastic on the hand and on the ankle balls.

It certainly doesn't match up to that CG skeleton they posted earlier, and the body pictured certainly isn't a silicone body over a stainless skeleton. Maybe it's a silcone torso over a stainless skeleton?? But why just that?

The joints look like standard ABS ball/sockets, otherwise the body looks nice as is, the head is a bit small, and it certainly doesn't look like John Lennon's body type.

I'm beginning to get the sense that the PDF was more of a slide deck type thing to generate buzz and intrigue investors, which makes me think the pre-order was launched before the prototype was finished because somebody needed to see some return on their investment.

John Lennon was not 6feet tall , how will they make this perfect scale ectoskeleton a perfect 5' 10" lennon in 1/6th?

how does silicone react to log term fabrics against it? will it start to stain and absorb the clothing colors ?

It's all so weird here around this figure.That basketball player body looks odd and nothing like company promises... Looks like all what they still, have is good hs prototype and licences.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

I had an email from The Licensing Letter:

I just put her in the picture as to why I signed up. That is, with reference to the uncertainty whether Molecule8 had the licenses they were claiming, and that the TLL site confirmed all but one of them.

Got the same e-mail. Not sure if it's an auto-responder or if it was an actual person. I was thinking about using the same line of questioning, but asking where they get their info. Like if Warners sent out a notice about their new licenses or if they just scour the 'Net for new announcements. My curiosity is if Molecule8 just sent them a message saying "Hey, we have these licenses". I'm curious how they verify their info.

I'm beginning to get the sense that the PDF was more of a slide deck type thing to generate buzz and intrigue investors, which makes me think the pre-order was launched before the prototype was finished because somebody needed to see some return on their investment.

This is exactly what that PDF is. I would take as gospel a deck for investors as much as I would a sizzle reel, i.e. I wouldn't. It's "intent", nothing more. And that's fine. Just don't get too hung up on what you think you're seeing there.

It's a thing of beauty, but apart from the jointed spine (which is similar to an old BBI figure stand), it doesn't look any more articulated than a Truetype. Maybe less so as there's no bicep swivel.

It's just a skinny frame onto which to add a silicone skin.

[video]https://molecule8.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/figure-video.mp4[/video]

That's a nice 3D render.

Honestly looks like complete bollocks to me, to the best of my knowledge it would cost a small fortune to run those off in metal machined to an adequate tolerance to not have the joints be a floppy mess, and there's so much unnecessary detail, screws, bolts, etc, especially in the skull. Looks like something designed to impress prospective investors more than anything else, especially as it actually lacks several key joints that would be considered standard for an action figure. More like some kind of medical teaching aid than a toy.

I would love to be proven wrong, however.

That's a nice 3D render.

Honestly looks like complete bollocks to me, to the best of my knowledge it would cost a small fortune to run those off in metal machined to an adequate tolerance to not have the joints be a floppy mess, and there's so much unnecessary detail, screws, bolts, etc, especially in the skull. Looks like something designed to impress prospective investors more than anything else, especially as it actually lacks several key joints that would be considered standard for an action figure. More like some kind of medical teaching aid than a toy.

You are 100% correct. I am a machinist and if that is the real deal that they will be using on each figure the cost would be rather substantial.

You two clearly don't have the vision, ambition or passion to produce a true high end quality precision non-plastic ball jointed body.

That's a nice 3D render.

I don't yet understand the utility of having a complex, fully articulated skeleton covered in a silicone body that uses external joints to really define the articulation. Sounds like they would be accomplishing the same thing that hot toys does with their muscle bodies, but with a lot of unnecessary work/ investment--typical articulation with less obvious joints than you get with a fully plastic body, and somewhat pliable skin.

But as others have pointed out, it's possible they've got a plan/peoduct we don't yet comprehend.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure it's going to all turn out to be Howard Chan trolling us.

The whole time this has been going on Ive been lurking this thread for weeks watching this unfold. I finally sent the Facebook page a message about who I was and a simple question about when we could possibly be seeing anything Harry Potter or Fantastic Beasts for a collecting page I run and received no response yet it was read. Not even Star Ace who are relatively quieter now these days just reads a message they actually will respond. I went from "hopefully that company can deliver some quality product even though it seems to good to be true!" now to, "This is going to turn into a huge mess I can already sense it."

giphy.gif

Hmm thats strange as I have sent three different messages via facebook and all have been answered, they also seem to answer a lot of there comments on there page to :dunno

All that means is he was asking them for information they weren't prepared to give yet.

You guys aren't thinking big enough. They have taken Lennon's DNA, grown Lennon flesh which will cover this endoskeleton. You people and your stupid silicone.

Back