1/6 MOLA RAM Custom Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah looking at it again the black does have a pretty rough texture, while the red is just a smooth rayon kind of fabric. I can see why it might be tricky finding something with that look, but which still drapes well.

Yeah, I hope he can find something close to it. My gut tells me that the original wrinkled-gauze material might still be the best bet. While not wholly accurate, it does give the right feel -- used, roughed-up silk.

Yeah, I hope he can find something close to it. My gut tells me that the original wrinkled-gauze material might still be the best bet. While not wholly accurate, it does give the right feel -- used, roughed-up silk.

What about the idea of something more like the HT Vader cape - which is almost like a heavy but delicate lycra? Those later Ht capes drape really well, though it would be a smoother texture.

Also, I just found my pics folder of BMW/BlindVoyeur's Mola custom (the guy who ripped people off on here - oddly, pretty much exactly ten years ago - who I managed to track down maybe 4-5 years ago) so I can post all of those pics if it helps for this project. They are pretty clear pics, and there's a lot of them. MIght help to look at fabric, paint etc.

The RO Vader cape looks a lot smoother to me than what we need for Mola. Although I guess given the choice, I'd much rather have something that drapes really well than something that has the exact perfect texture.

Strangely, the material that the tailor is using now to build the prototype is much like that Vader cape material -- my problem was that it looks like t-shirt material (much like Vader's tunic and cape did)... and I figured you guys here wouldn't like it. :lol Figures that's the first material you guys bring up.

Anyway, it can't hurt to see if there's something else the tailor can find that might emulate both the heaviness of the material as well as the worn nature of it. If not, I'm happy -- and he'll be happy -- that you guys might be fine with the Vader cape type material. In the end, the black material is ultimately background for the striking red accents and the figure itself.

Strangely, the material that the tailor is using now to build the prototype is much like that Vader cape material -- my problem was that it looks like t-shirt material (much like Vader's tunic and cape did)... and I figured you guys here wouldn't like it. :lol Figures that's the first material you guys bring up.

Anyway, it can't hurt to see if there's something else the tailor can find that might emulate both the heaviness of the material as well as the worn nature of it. If not, I'm happy -- and he'll be happy -- that you guys might be fine with the Vader cape type material. In the end, the black material is ultimately background for the striking red accents and the figure itself.

Yeah, it went like this with that Leia dress custom - flowing vs texture. In addition to what davejames is mentioning, there's almost a slight sheen to those Vader fabrics that might seem off for a fabric like Mola's. The fabric Sideshow used for their Tusken Raider is probably what you need, but it would be so hard to find that exact combo of flowing and texture.

Its definitely tricky... and I doubt we'll get perfect. Nothing's ever perfect.

Because Mola's robe looks like worn silk, I wonder if there is a natural sheen to it a bit? Probably enough to make the black catch light for filming and not look like a black hole.

In any event, of the choices, I'm sure there will be one that works well for 1/6th purposes. The nightmare comes when there's two choices and each has its own pros. Hopefully there will just be one obvious choice and we can move on.

Next issue will be the variance in the color of the red material... :lol

I’m in for sure! Can’t believe this is gonna happen after all this time!

Sorry for the delays on this updated outfit... I just received word that the tailor is waiting on new material he ordered and it should be coming in the next few days.

Also hoping Spenser will be posting his progress soon on those final items he was sculpting -- necklace parts and dagger.

It is my hope that this project culminates with its final prototypes in March and perhaps people can start placing orders by late March/April.

Last edited:
Works, not in a huge hurry. Will be fun to have him in the collection.

Headdress with horns, sorry for the slow down but my parents (in their late 70s) decided to renovate their kitchen. Translation: I'm renovating their kitchen. 0224201616.jpg

UPDATE OUTFIT:

The tailor received the new material at last... but unfortunately he says there's very little difference between it and the one he was using before. So all that waiting for nothing.

On a positive note: he expects to finish the prototype this Saturday. My fingers are crossed as deadlines were meant to be broken in this hobby. We can begin tweaks, if necessary, once the proto is complete.

Is it too late to get in on this? I?ve been around this board since the early sideshow/weta LoTR days and I dropped off for a while after selling most of my collection. But, as the owner of an enormous Mola Ram/ToD stomach tattoo, I can?t let this slip by me. I just (re)bought the sideshow ToD Indy off eBay the other day and I?d love to add this Mola Ram to the collection too. (And thanks for all of the info/reference/and all around good reading on here).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd also like to know if its too late, because i am interested as well. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Back