Modification/Customization for the DX12 Batman Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks great! How hard is it to take out the eyes and what did you use to paint the eyelids? I think this is a must for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks you for the kind words guys.
Epicofsyn, taking out the eyes was a two part affair.
Fisrt, go to page one of this thread and follow Maglor's advice (video one) in order to take the joystick out, very easy.
Second, using sturdy tweezers pull the eyeballs out of their sockets.
As Dr. Odd mentioned it's not too hard.
Once the eyes were out I used Vallejo's Game Color acrylic Chaos Black, any other decent acrylic paint can be used (Tamiya etc...).
Get a watercolor liner brush, preferably a #o or a #1, no need to go too small as only the tip matters and tiny brushes hold so little paint that it dries out immediately.
Make sure to dilute your paint with water repeatedly throughout the process so the consistency is like milk.
Keep the paint thin and repeat applications, the last thing you want is thick paint (think like Bob Ross!)
Once done the eyes can be positioned independently.

Here's what my DX cowl now looks like:

IMG_7962_zps28eb2395.jpg

Thanks for the well detailed instructions. I have never done anything like this so I really appreciate the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I thought I'd just add a something for the beginners. I think a lot of the people who haven't tried anything like this like to over think things. Like you need some sort of special high end paint. You can just use regular old PLAID acrylic. It's a brand that all WAL-MARTS carry and it's cheap. You'll see them. PLAID has different brands of their acrylics called Apple Barrel or FolkArt etc. I use those and Artist's Loft which I think I got from Hobby Lobby. Those always go on sale for cheap. Now, if you're a more than a novice and take commissions like Skiman or Silent Surfer than I think you'd use something more high end. But for things like this the cheap stuff works just fine.

Hi customizers. I managed to remove the eyes and painted the eyelids and apparently I think I screwed up with the left eyelid. Now they look thick and uneven. :( Any effective way to remove the paint without damaging it. I wanna re-do it again. I used acrylic paint as suggested.

It's hard to help without seeing pictures.
Still, try to scrape off the excess paint with a toothpick.
Be careful not to damage the eyelids.
Finish the job with a damp q-tip, once the eyes look OK try painting again.
Remember to keep your paint very thin, it will prevent too much build up.

Finally got around to taking a pic of my DX12.

Painted eyelids, neck mod, shoulder pad mod, Fat suit removed, belt mod, gauntlet mod, and custom Tony Meis wired cape.

The custom cape is a little more sheer than I expected it to be. I'm thinking of sewing it onto the original cape to thicken it up while still having the ability to pose it with the wires.
358o461.jpg

Here's an update on mine. I just did the cape hole mod (to bring the cape right up against the kevlar connectors), as well as constructing the separate bottom shoulder pad (instead of just using the remaining crescent like I was).

Very quick pose just to get pics up:

IMG_6475.jpg

IMG_6481.jpg

IMG_6489.jpg

it look so nice!! how did you mode the cape? are you usin gthe original cape?

Big thank you to Maglor and Tourist. Your pics of DX12s convinced me I didn't need two Dark Knights and I ended up canceling my QS001. I figured if I only had one, if rather have it to scale with my other Batmen. Thanks again!

Thanks you for the kind words guys.
Epicofsyn, taking out the eyes was a two part affair.
Fisrt, go to page one of this thread and follow Maglor's advice (video one) in order to take the joystick out, very easy.
Second, using sturdy tweezers pull the eyeballs out of their sockets.
As Dr. Odd mentioned it's not too hard.
Once the eyes were out I used Vallejo's Game Color acrylic Chaos Black, any other decent acrylic paint can be used (Tamiya etc...).
Get a watercolor liner brush, preferably a #o or a #1, no need to go too small as only the tip matters and tiny brushes hold so little paint that it dries out immediately.
Make sure to dilute your paint with water repeatedly throughout the process so the consistency is like milk.
Keep the paint thin and repeat applications, the last thing you want is thick paint (think like Bob Ross!)
Once done the eyes can be positioned independently.

Here's what my DX cowl now looks like:

IMG_7962_zps28eb2395.jpg

You have me seriously thinking about removing the PERS joystick so that I can move the eyes independently as I think mine has a little squint.

Dam you Tourist I thought I was done. :lol

You have me seriously thinking about removing the PERS joystick so that I can move the eyes independently as I think mine has a little squint.

Dam you Tourist I thought I was done. :lol

I did it man it isn't that hard

Just watch the first video

Yeah

I actually pulled the eyes out with some thin nosed pliers still attached to the joystick and pushed the pins through with a needle

They were pretty tight trying to push them all the way out with the needle so I pulled them out of the other side with the pliers again

Once they are both out you remove the eyes and I pushed them back into the eye socket with the pliers. I lined the eye ball up with the socket first and then pushed it in

It's abit fiddly because of the neck hole but it's by no means hard

Yeah

I actually pulled the eyes out with some thin nosed pliers still attached to the joystick and pushed the pins through with a needle

They were pretty tight trying to push them all the way out with the needle so I pulled them out of the other side with the pliers again

Once they are both out you remove the eyes and I pushed them back into the eye socket with the pliers. I lined the eye ball up with the socket first and then pushed it in

It's abit fiddly because of the neck hole but it's by no means hard

Cheers buddy. :hi5:

Did you have squinty eyes?

One was looking in slightly while the other was straight, looked really annoying when looking to one and I couldn't take it any longer haha

One was looking in slightly while the other was straight, looked really annoying when looking to one and I couldn't take it any longer haha

I see. Mine is like that I think, I'm using the BW head sculpt at the moment so I will have a proper look at the Cowl later.

Frank if I remove the PERS joystick will that pull out the whole PERS plate?

I see. Mine is like that I think, I'm using the BW head sculpt at the moment so I will have a proper look at the Cowl later.

Frank if I remove the PERS joystick will that pull out the whole PERS plate?

No the eyes pull out from the plate which will stay attached to the head

Back