Modification/Customization for the DX12 Batman Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work I've been tempted to try that for a while.

The respect is to you, I wasn't even dream of any modification untell I saw what you did to yours dx. But I wanted to try something different and see how it turns out. Robbie is already the genus who tought it of first. But I jut wanted the originals HT face on the cowl. And in hands, it looks so real unlike any of my picture. I'm sure everyone who had a dx12 already know how good the paint is on the BW sculpt. Picture that in the cowl, now that's something els.

Excellent job r3dd! Looks great. Disregard my PM. I see you'll be using the eyes. That is going to be great looking when done. A true Bale under the cowl.

EDIT** got the PERS plate out. I heated it up a very very little with a dryer. I was afraid I'd distort the bottom of the cowl. Now I'll try my hand at sculpting. I think if I F it all up I will try to find a Bale head to chop up and use for eyes. Maybe a mouth too.

48AEF341-2C71-477D-BEC9-3DBD70036BF7-1260-0000009CF9A8C46C.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT** got the PERS plate out. I heated it up a very very little with a dryer. I was afraid I'd distort the bottom of the cowl. Now I'll try my hand at sculpting. I think if I F it all up I will try to find a Bale head to chop up and use for eyes. Maybe a mouth too.

48AEF341-2C71-477D-BEC9-3DBD70036BF7-1260-0000009CF9A8C46C.jpg

Is that hard to take out?

Is that hard to take out?

In a word, yes. There is a very thin layer of metal that is clipped in and easily bent, for the magnet. It can be rebent to the correct shape though. Under that is a ring of hard plastic that is a huge pain to pry out without warping the cowl around the jawline and neck.

Then getting the PERS plate out, I used a hair dryer to soften it up a bit. I don't really recommend this, as heating it can warp and reshape the cowl. Be careful if you do it this way, but I had a hard time not doing it like this. When prying it out, you have to be very careful to not slip and hit the eyeballs or the cowl.

Now that I have the lids repainted in black better than my other head, I'm not entirely sure I want to sculpt it. (I'd probably ruin it anyway).

Last edited:
Aright guys, sculpting the eyes from HT BW sculpt. From my experience? It's not worth it. It's a pain in the @$$. Not done yet.

Popping the pers out with a metal stick. Which I use for sculpting. Slid it between the pers and the plastic where the eyes face is.

image_zpsa476eefa.jpg

As you can see one eyeball pop open. Once that's is done. Use whatever tools you have and pop the other one out. You don't have to take no "pins" out at all.

image_zpsc8a1ae34.jpg

I wasn't carefull so the metal plate of the magnets pop out. I believe anyone can do it without taking any metal piece out at all.

image_zpsa2855988.jpg

image_zps2880acaf.jpg

Now onto the BW sculpt. I just drew a line on the face where I want to cut. Using a sharp razor knife. Be carefull or your loose a finger. Just cut it straight down where the forehead is and onto both side of the face. Press the knife with pressure on all side. Once it is loose it should be easy to pull it out.

image_zps77e678ba.jpg

image_zps8dab753a.jpg

image_zpsbd75b7f7.jpg

Trimming the rest of the face, you can start by getting rid of the noise. And using the razor knife? Slice it piece by piece. "This is the hard part" there going to be a lot of cutting. Cut it until its the same size as the original plate you took out from the beginning. I use it as reference.

image_zpsbd75b7f7.jpg

image_zpsc98e7be9.jpg

Continue...

Shaving the eyebrow off, this part is tricky as you don't want to trim too much or leave too much on. It well leave a gap when you put it inside the cowl. Sand it once you get the the right depth.

image_zpse1f8d6c2.jpg

image_zps848b7197.jpg

Putting it inside the cowl. I basically just put it inside and use anything tools that shape like a stick. Once it's inside the cowl? Adjust it how you like by pressing on the plate of the eye you with a metal stick. " I didn't glue it" still not done. But somehow I got it to stay.

image_zps5e7245be.jpg

image_zpse94d4503.jpg

image_zpsd412171c.jpg

I use tamiya flat black to paint the face of the eye. Just be care full since you don't want to paint the actual eyes ball. Use a thin paint brush with a fine tip. And work your way around the eyes.

image_zpsdce5f748.jpg

image_zpsf0be19a8.jpg

I well post the finish cowl once I'm done.

Here my dx without any eyes,

image_zps86e78619.jpg

image_zpse21472b7.jpg

Robbie face plate on the left, the one I sculpted out of the BW head is on the cowl.

Hi,
Im kind of new to this stuff but I already did a few Mods like the Hands and neck length and might try to better align the eyes .

So have a few questions on capes CUSTOM vs STOCK and as you can see from my photos I will display them in My Detlof case by themselves and not multiple figures in one space .

#1 I like the stock cape for display purposes as it adds alot of depth to the space and with all the fabric I can master almost any pose or leave the fabric in the back and it doesnt look bad from the side view either BUT I dislike its far from movie accurate but for what Im doing it works dont you think ?
Also can you recommend a seller on my needs as I want something tailored and not just a cut of cloth . Tony Meis looks top end but more expensive but I think his Battle Version cape would look great on my BW Batman .
Now I know it only matters what I think but I would like some good feedback as I get deeper into this hobby :cuckoo: Thanks in advance

OH and if I opened up the eye box holder thing would it be possible to only move one eye manually because my Pers and stick just dont work properly to make any adjustment look normal .

Trying to downsize Images so I can post them

Last edited:
^
From your description of what you want then yes you definitely want a Tony Meis cape. Lforgino's cape wouldn't cut it for you as his cape is just a single cut of cloth. Tony's has stitching. At least the Battle Version one you mention appears to in his pics. I would contact him through his email address he lists to get more info.

Also, yes. If you remove the pins from the pers system and take off the joystick then you can move each eye independently.

Last edited:
Great job R3dd!!!! I like the way it sits in the cowl without even being painted yet. The eyes and mouth look good.

Can't wait to see more pics.

^
From your description of what you want then yes you definitely want a Tony Meis cape. Lforgino's cape wouldn't cut it for you as his cape is just a single cut of cloth. Tony's has stitching. At least the Battle Version one you mention appears to in his pics. I would contact him through his email address he lists to get more info.

Also, yes. If you remove the pins from the pers system and take off the joystick then you can move each eye independently.

Thanks I contacted him yesterday and he will cut me a deal on two but back to the eyes so I just pop the pins adjust them as need and just put it back ? What if I bump them going back in with they move again ? Is it a delicate operation , also to paint around the eyes are most using a flat black enamel like testors ? So whats everyones beef with the stock cape ? the weight ,thickness as I thought it was their best yet at least on the display stand for posing
Thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks I contacted him yesterday and he will cut me a deal on two but back to the eyes so I just pop the pins adjust them as need and just put it back ? What if I bump them going back in with they move again ? Is it a delicate operation , also to paint around the eyes are most using a flat black enamel like testors ? So whats everyones beef with the stock cape ? the weight ,thickness as I thought it was their best yet at least on the display stand for posing
Thanks again

From what I understand, there are two metal pins (vertical to the head) on either side of the joystick. Poke them out and the joystick comes off. You can then rotate each eye individually. I don't know about being able to put the joystick back in or not.

Personally, I only had a very mild cross eye problem. I moved the pers as far as I could in all directions without forcing it too much. After that the cross eye problem was even less noticeable than before. I never saw the need to remove the joystick for mine. I'm only repeating the things that I've read/absorbed by constantly reading up on this figure through this and the primary DX12 threads.

Hi,
Im kind of new to this stuff but I already did a few Mods like the Hands and neck length and might try to better align the eyes .

So have a few questions on capes CUSTOM vs STOCK and as you can see from my photos I will display them in My Detlof case by themselves and not multiple figures in one space .

#1 I like the stock cape for display purposes as it adds alot of depth to the space and with all the fabric I can master almost any pose or leave the fabric in the back and it doesnt look bad from the side view either BUT I dislike its far from movie accurate but for what Im doing it works dont you think ?
Also can you recommend a seller on my needs as I want something tailored and not just a cut of cloth . Tony Meis looks top end but more expensive but I think his Battle Version cape would look great on my BW Batman .
Now I know it only matters what I think but I would like some good feedback as I get deeper into this hobby :cuckoo: Thanks in advance

OH and if I opened up the eye box holder thing would it be possible to only move one eye manually because my Pers and stick just dont work properly to make any adjustment look normal .

Trying to downsize Images so I can post them

From my experience you dot want a movie accurate cape. Cause it well look out of proportion in 1/6 scale. You can always buy them on eBay for $20-$30 if you have the cash to drop. Or go the best way and find a Joanne store. They have tons of different material which can look pretty good.

For me stock cape won't do it, it's too thick, and it off. But it always down to personal taste. If you like it stock? That's all it matter bro.

Back