Modern Horror figs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
occulum said:
dreamin of a Sideshow Circus Freaks line. Similar to what McFarlane recently did, but with more of a classic line-up & tailoring
Bearded Lady
Siamese Twins
Elephant Man (currently attempting my own)
Tom Thumb
Lionfaced Man
Schlitzie (pinhead)
etc.

Candyman
Zombie from from the boat at the beginning of Fulci's Zombi
Demon from Jacob's Ladder with violent head shaking action :joy
Any and all things Hellraiser
HOw about the little Time Bandits guys

Good idea with circus freaks,though the idea harks back more to vintage horror than modern. Horror might be an unkind word though to describe them.Some of Sideshow's first work in the garage kit industry happened to be carnival atractions,elaborate kits of the grotesque.I would love to see their "Lionel the wolf-boy" realized as a 12'' figure.This is the direction I'd like to see more of from Sideshow,more creativity rather than jumping on the mass media stuff that everyone else is doing too.

I just thought of another one, The Exorcist! I'd buy a possessed Regan and a Max von Sydow priest!
I don't know if I'd be interested in actual Sideshow Freaks, that might be a little too politically incorrect.

thats what i was thinking. I would love the elephant man but I actually dont know if i could bare to have him!

screamingmetal said:
I don't know if I'd be interested in actual Sideshow Freaks, that might be a little too politically incorrect.

Okay, must be getting late for me, I had to reread that 3 or 4 times.

I just couldn't figure out what would be politically incorrect about a 1/6 scale Darklord Dave, or Viking, or FrankenFan or Creecher, ........ :D

Yeah, I know.. What could I have been thinking :horror

oxbeard said:
Okay, must be getting late for me, I had to reread that 3 or 4 times.

I just couldn't figure out what would be politically incorrect about a 1/6 scale Darklord Dave, or Viking, or FrankenFan or Creecher, ........ :D

Yeah, I know.. What could I have been thinking :horror
LOL yeah it's late for me too. I was referring to actual people like Joseph Merrick or real freak show performers like Tom Thumb.

McF is making real freaks. And if you stay away from the mentally and physically "differently abled" there's nothing really offensive about it. But, for me, not anything really interesting either.

knewby said:
The Myers figure had a mask that didn't quite resemble the "Kirk" mask we all know and love from the first 2 movies. I'd love to see Dooley sculpt a definitive "Kirk" version!....how 'bout it?

Yeah, I totally agree. It's sad that they didn't go after that Kirk mask look. It was spooky!!! That's one figure I wish they would go back and redo. Does it look any better in person? I just don't want to pony up the cash for something that is going to sit in my closet because I am dissatisfied with.

brad

No he pretty much looks the same. It looks more like the mask from 4 and 5 rather than 1 or 2. I really hope they redo him and make a Loomis and JLC figures.

Darklord Dave said:
And if you stay away from the mentally and physically "differently abled" there's nothing really offensive about it.

there's always 2 sides to most of the Circus Freaks' stories. Many people thought it was cruel to display them for others shock 'n entertainment, but when people tried to stop it, most of the participants themselves would ask others to leave them alone, since they made decent money that they could in no way shape or form make anywhere else with their "issues". Assuming they weren't treated bad of course. Which Im sure happened alot in them there days.

I just recall Sideshow referring to their premium line as "Museum Quality" pieces and a Classic Circus "Attractions" line seems like something I might would actually see in a museum to celebrate circus' history, not to be demeaning in any way.
I think if Sideshow was worried about stepping on the toes of the narrow-minded, they never wouldve made a Nopoleon B.

The potentials I see in a circus attractions line are intricate sculpting, lavish outfits and an awesome potential for environments to display them in.

dont mean to hijack the thread :eek:

on another note. how about a Jack & the twins from the Shining?
or the chick from Audition? has anyone seen this movie? talk about a bad date! truely dismembering!

denger4000 said:
I hate all this politically incorrect stuff, just make me an Elphant man!
I agree, but as long as nobody's being an idiot, thats what the discussion forums are for right?

As far as the Elephant Man being made, I thought the same thing. Then I thought, "I'll just make my own" (cause I dont think one will ever actually be produced)
So I went out, bought some Super Sculpey and after light research have jumped into my first sculpt ever.
This sucker is far from the end. It's actually a lot further along than these pics indicate. Much texturing & refining to be done. My next task is to learn how much detail I can work on after its baked other than just smoothing it out.
I also dont plan on making a full fig. Just his head, chest (from about the ribcage up) and his right arm, kinda like a Bust-Plus. And much of him is not accurate. Many parts I looked at and thought "that doesnt look right, but I like it", then I realized, its mine, so do whatever you want.
I referenced pics from the movie From Hell. Clear photos/illustrations of the actual J.Merrick are hard to come by, and many conflict each other (maybe cause there from different stages of his deformity), so I made the decision to use the From Hell images mainly.
Ive learned a lot already. Like if your sculpey is too soft you crush what you just did on the back while working on the front! and no matter how many times I wash my hands & working area my sculpey still gets dirty :banghead
Statueforum has been a very nice/insipiring resource though.
any input would be great, but be nice, Im still wet behind the ears when it comes to this.
EleMan1.jpg

denger4000 said:
I hate all this politically incorrect stuff, just make me an Elphant man!

Presto! You're an Elephant Man! :D

JS

:mwaha
JS, you crack me up!

Occulum, good job on the Merrick bust. I'm looking forward to the end result.

Your Merrick sculpt looks great.
Some tips I can give you:
-Don't sculpt in flesh colored Sculpey, it's too translucent. mix a little black Sculpey III with some white in order to get gray sculpey III, it's easier to see what you're doing that way.
Sculpey III is basically the same as Super Sculpey.
-Sculpt a base structure and cure it or ball up some aluminum foil to act as a under structure before you start on the head sculpt. it should give a firmer foundation for the rest of the head. You don't want it to interfere with the way the outer sculpt will look like so don't over do it.
-use ball Barings or 6mm airsoft BBs as eyeballs. It's difficult to sculpt eyes and this method helps. I've used Ball Barings but they glare light into your eyes while you sculpt so I'd go with the airsoft white bbs.
-While sculpting, occasionally close one eye to take your depth perception away, it'll help you see the sculpt a bit better.
Also don't worry too much about the back of the head, it's always possible to resculpt that area in the end, the more important part is the face.

thanks a million for the tips metal.
I did use foil for the center, but i think the sculpey may still be too think in some areas that may cause issues getting it baked all the way thru.

I also recall reading to shape & bake the eyes beforehand. Unfortunately it was AFTER I did the eyes already. So i told myself I was gonna do them over... I sat there for quite awhile with knife in hand, and I just couldnt cut my eyes out ..... but its not too late! I still think the eyelids are too thick to be realistic.
I've started on the torso, but am not very far into it. I'll post some progress pics, but Im not rushing this. I want to make sure its something enjoyable to me and not something I feel I have to do.

thanks again for the kind comments/tips

screamingmetal said:
-While sculpting, occasionally close one eye to take your depth perception away, it'll help you see the sculpt a bit better.
A very auspicious beginning to your sculpting career, Occulum!

Here's another old tip, this time from an old graphic "artist."

But first, this disclaimer:

Go to your kitchen, grab your salt sellar, and extract a grain or two.

I'll wait.

Ready?

Hold your work in front of a mirror. Seeing it reversed often brings a fresh perspective to the piece and exposes its weaknesses.

I'm not a sculptor (see disclaimer, above) so, I don't know how well this tip will translate between the 2nd and 3rd dimensions but, it might be worth a shot.

Please keep us apprised of your progress!

mmmy.jpg

EleMan1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

im just wondering why that picture of the elephant man is in colour? Am i thinking of another elephant man? I thought the movie was in black and white, no im sure of it. is the one your talking about a remake or something? Im confused...

:horror IT'S NOT A TUMOR!
That looks great Occulum. ScreamingMetal is is right about the sculpey. You wanna just tint it a bit. You'll definetly be able to see it better. On the next sculpt anyway. Then work on the form of the face, Just keep refining it and then play around with some light detail.
A really cool sculptor I worked with at Jim Henson's Creature Shop who taught me alot said "it's better to have great form under crappy detail than great detail over a crappy form!"
I think what you have done for a first sculpt is really good. Just have fun. You'll figure out that sculpey quick.
Later-
Dooley

Back