1/6 MMS216 - Man of Steel: General Zod Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's some fine work. Gotta order these!!

Thanks. They were laser cut from sheet plexiglass.

Whoa, when will those stands be up for order??? I would love a Superman and Zod base. I'm not using the stock HT stands because they're so damn huge! I was planning on using just plain HT stands, but if these will be available, I'M IN!!

Thanks.
I am thinking a few weeks. I will post in this thread when they are ready, along with the MOS thread.
I am *guessing* most people following this thread are also following the MOS thread so i wonder if i can ask a question.

I will be casting the MOS base and Zod base. MOS base can serve double duty for MOS and Jor-El, and Zod will just be for Zod. I will offer Zod in gunmetal with a silver drybrush(Or just gunmetal if preferred), Jor-El in gunmetal with a copper or bronze drybrush and MOS in red and yellow.

Would those colours suit everyone?

Like, if i just cast the bases and get into painting production, waiting till i have a few before offering them, would anyone want the red/yellow base for Jor-el for instance?

I'd like to know before i start.

I can now since you changed your name back! :exactly: :1-1:

Lol. I get it now.

For zod, something 2 tone to emphasize his symbol would be great. I guess I'd have to see a pic of what you are talking about to fully understand.

Dry brushing is where you take a piece(Let's say the Zod base, painted black), and add another thin layer of paint to highlight detail.
The way you do this is to dip your brush in some of the highlight colour then wipe almost all of the paint off the brush by wiping it on a cloth or a sponge.
This removes all the liquid paint and leaves only the semi dry paint pigments in the bristles. And when the brush contacts the item, only raised areas collect small amounts of the paint.
The upside is that there would be some metallic raised paintwork on the Zod base and it will highlight the detail, and the effect will look like the base was made from metal and painted black, but some of the black paint has been scuffed a bit to reveal a hint of the metal.

No, he was probably in extreme pain while directly in its beam, but that's not the same as being hurt/beat-up since he completely recovered almost instantly once it was over. There is no physical cost or risk to his heroics. He knows something might sting for a little bit, but it once it's over, he'll be as good as new right away like it never even happened.

If a human punches another human in the face hard ONCE, in addition to the pain, there will probably be a black eye, a busted lip or a bleeding nose. If two Kryptonians under a yellow sun pummel each other repeatedly, there won't even be a scratch, the most that will happen is their gear gets damaged. Of course it makes sense that no Earthling or Earth weapon could hurt Superman, but he also doesn't have any residual damage from a Kryptonian super-weapon, and he can't even be injured by someone of his same Kryptonian physiology?

Sorry but I don't think this is correct. He did not heal instantly on his own, he healed because he came into sunlight and it definitely took at least a minute give or take. That scene was pretty clear, dunno 'bout CB canon, but I'm pretty sure in the DC cineverse he will be able to get hurt if he doesn't have access to sunlight to heal, eventually. How far that limit can be stretched is of course prone to whatever the writer deems necessary, but I did interpret him as being hurt after the beam and healing in the sunlight.

Again, I don't know the exact rules in the CBverse, but in this film it was pretty clear that his powers have become nuanced. In the beginning he actually cannot hold the oil rig, he can barely hold it long enough and then it falls over him. Jor El clearly says that nobody knows how strong he can BECOME, not is, BECOME. Clearly he can build, and therefore also lose his strength, and in Man of Steel the first factor in this process clearly is Earth's sunlight, and the second is its atmosphere, which if in this case Kryptonian, also weakens him to the point where needles can be stuck into him. That implies at least a minor skin puncturing, which is technically a wound, that being physical damage to some degree. An important fact is that the beam is a aprt of the world engine which creates kryptonian atmosphere. Ergo to me it seems a simple conclusion that he could've been, and in fact was, hurt, during that scene. But he healed when the machine was broken and he returned to an earthly environment.

I think this is a smart approach to avoid the one dimensional kryptonite angle. And this is also why I loved Man of Steel, it made Superman make sense. And with it, to me anyway, relatable. He's as much a man as he is super and he can evolve in one by means of the other, making him the son of two worlds.

(I remain of the opinion Man of Steel was actually an exceptionally well thought out film for it's genre.)

And I bet a certain dark knight will exploit his need for sunlight.

^ I agree with a lot of that. In the comics there are plenty of beings who can bruise Superman and make him bleed. There's also Kryptonite. In the comics, yes, he can get hurt. I remember reading that Snyder doesn't want Kryptonite to exist in his version though. Yes, the yellow sun does rejuvinate him and without it, he'd probably need a lot longer of a recovery time. I guess my main issue is not how long his recovery takes, but that he never seems to take any physical damage, even BEFORE the recovery starts, when he is in the middle of whatever is causing him a lot of pain. He grimaces and struggles against the world engine beam, he grunts and yells when Zod punches him so we know these events at least cause him pain, but nothing damages him. Besides the pain, nothing visibly wounds his body...not even another Kryptonian.

EDIT: Nothing makes him bleed on Earth. I realize he coughs up blood on the Kryptionian ship, but Zod effectively mimicked Krypton's atmospherics (in addition to whatever he laced the air with to drug Superman)...so that's essentially like making him bleed...on Krypton.

Last edited:
Hm, yes explicitly pointed to that issue, yeah I guess I would give you that to be one of the few critiques I find valid on Man of Steel. I think that kinda threw off general audiences as well. I personally don't mind it much, but I would've liked it more had that been incorporated to some extent.
I don't know it's a hard issue, perhaps they were afraid that would be over the line for classic Superman fans, as a bruised up looking Superman is like...non existent, except maybe because of severe kryptonite exposure? I don't know, I've never seen it though. I can't recall a single image of SUperman with a bruise or a stain of blood, but I'm not a heavy CB reader, nor was I an avid superman fan. SO if that is a part of SUpes CB history than it's an even more valid point of criticism.

I agree this point does seem inconsistent with the world building in Man of Steel. It's not a big issue to me personally, but it does make it staler than it perhaps needed to be.
(I'm not a raving biased fanboy. I don't think Man of Steel was beyond reproach and I am open to well constructed valid criticism, like the former. But my god the amount of bull **** this film is prone to is ridiculous. I've genuinely never seen a film get this much blatantly biased and even factually invalid or unreasonable criticism, just because people are apparently so gutted to not get what they wanted. Not to mention those who're downright hypocritical about it in comparison to their response to other films. I'm glad Goyer's not letting it get to him, or so he says.)

Actually, there are two relevant shots. During the beam I feel he does get more gaunt, not just fromhis face being pushed downward. I took that as that he's being hurt in the same sense as age does, but to very immediate speeds. But maybe that just is gravitational pressure. Also, when he flies Lois away from the singularity, you can see visible white cracks in Superman's skin. So though it's not as raw as blood or stains, I do think they tried to convey physical damage to him in this way.

^ I agree with a lot of that. In the comics there are plenty of beings who can bruise Superman and make him bleed. There's also Kryptonite. In the comics, yes, he can get hurt. I remember reading that Snyder doesn't want Kryptonite to exist in his version though. Yes, the yellow sun does rejuvinate him and without it, he'd probably need a lot longer of a recovery time. I guess my main issue is not how long his recovery takes, but that he never seems to take any physical damage, even BEFORE the recovery starts, when he is in the middle of whatever is causing him a lot of pain. He grimaces and struggles against the world engine beam, he grunts and yells when Zod punches him so we know these events at least cause him pain, but nothing damages him. Besides the pain, nothing visibly wounds his body...not even another Kryptonian.

EDIT: Nothing makes him bleed on Earth. I realize he coughs up blood on the Kryptionian ship, but Zod effectively mimicked Krypton's atmospherics (in addition to whatever he laced the air with to drug Superman)...so that's essentially like making him bleed...on Krypton.

Snyder has never said that. He has said this, though....

“[People have been like ‘there’s no kryptonite in the movie’ and ‘there’s no Lex Luthor in the movie’, and by no means am I saying those things don’t exist, I’m just saying he didn’t run into them here [this time].”

As for Superman not bleeding it makes sense to not show him taking any physical damage. At least in a first movie anyways. That way when another villain shows up like a Darseid or a Doomsday and they actually draw blood it makes the confrontation and the villain himself seem much more dangerous. It's not something you want to see happen every time he takes on a super villain.

As for Superman not bleeding it makes sense to not show him taking any physical damage. At least in a first movie anyways. That way when another villain shows up like a Darseid or a Doomsday and they actually draw blood it makes the confrontation and the villain himself seem much more dangerous. It's not something you want to see happen every time he takes on a super villain.

He did bleed.

(I'm not a raving biased fanboy. I don't think Man of Steel was beyond reproach and I am open to well constructed valid criticism, like the former. But my god the amount of bull **** this film is prone to is ridiculous. I've genuinely never seen a film get this much blatantly biased and even factually invalid or unreasonable criticism, just because people are apparently so gutted to not get what they wanted. Not to mention those who're downright hypocritical about it in comparison to their response to other films. I'm glad Goyer's not letting it get to him, or so he says.)

Preach. I often want to remark in the middle of someone's online rant, "Are you sure you were not planning on watching 'The Passion of the Christ' because it looks to me like you were expecting to see Christ instead of a guy from Krypton."

As far as the pain issue mentioned elsewhere, as I recall the novelization said that for most stuff, Superman does not feel pain. He feels pain when its another Kryptonian dealing it. This wasn't made really clear in the film. He can indeed feel pain, just by nature of his invulnerability most stuff that hurts us he would just shrug off.

I'm aware, but the discussion seems to be about him taking physical damage like cuts and bruises from his fights with Zod and Faora, not coughing up blood from the Kryptonian atmosphere on Zod's ship.

Good point though, I'd forgotten he did cough up blood.

I was talking about the cut on his arm with blood coming out on the fortress.

Preach. I often want to remark in the middle of someone's online rant, "Are you sure you were not planning on watching 'The Passion of the Christ' because it looks to me like you were expecting to see Christ instead of a guy from Krypton."

Not sure what you mean by that, because I really wasn't aware of the religious parallels before this movie got everyone talking about it. I never had that much interest in Superman, because I don't really read comic books, and didn't have much interest in the old Superman movies either. And in anything else he's in in modern times he lacks a character arc. (Some people even claim he's supposed to lack a character arc, which I utterly don't get, but is fine if that's how they see Superman. I don't however.) Man of Steel showed me a Superman that made sense to me, that I found relatable, hell that I found quite brilliant actually, partly because it did have a message underneath it that I can get behind (I'm not religious, nor raised as such). I always liked Superman as a superhero teamed up with Batman and other JLA members, but this film actually made me care about the character Superman, because for the first time I actually saw a real character – I saw a man who has to deal with being an extremly unique and gifted individual, with an unknown heritage that's vastly different from the world he grows up in. And I know a lot of people who were very touched by the way they dealt with Superman as a both an alien AND an orphan AND someone who loses a parent. The film reminds me so much of what Nolan did with Batman Begins, bringing in the psychological reality of the characters you're dealing with and that's exceptional in a CB film in my view. That alone makes me applaud the hell out of this film.

That said, any superman fan can lay claim that man of steel is a bad superman film, that's fine with me. Same thing with Nolan's Batman, if that's not a good Batman to you, fine, one can differ in approach. But Man of Steel, taken on its own accord, was an overall excellent film, that presented a very well thought through vision in a very well executed way. In my opinion the forced escalation between Clarke and Lois and the low amount of screen time Jon Kent had are about the only main flaws in my opinion.

You have to remember his suit is not from earth. It's kyrptonian underarmer of some kind so it would offer some type of protection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back