MMS138 – The Expendables: 1/6th scale Barney Ross Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's SO AWESOME! When was the last time you saw an actor hold his own HT figure? This is a first, right? Again, awesome.

First HT figure, but Edinho Maga had photos a year or so ago presenting Sly with his Rocky Balboa statue at some event. The thing I like is Sly seems genuinely into this stuff and appreciates the work in them, where I'm sure some of these guys might look at them, go ok, you didn't make me look like an _______, now give me my check.

First HT figure, but Edinho Maga had photos a year or so ago presenting Sly with his Rocky Balboa statue at some event. The thing I like is Sly seems genuinely into this stuff and appreciates the work in them, where I'm sure some of these guys might look at them, go ok, you didn't make me look like an _______, now give me my check.

That was always my assumption. Not because they're dicks but because they'd never care enough for something like this. These pics change all of that.

That was always my assumption. Not because they're dicks but because they'd never care enough for something like this. These pics change all of that.

Well yeah, for the most part, because most of them are probably like the people we encounter that thing our hobby is juvenile and silly, you either get this hobby and appreciate it or you don't, I don't see much of a middle ground, which sucks, I don't care if everyone I know is into it, but it'd be nice if they could take me seriously despite me being into it.

Well yeah, for the most part, because most of them are probably like the people we encounter that thing our hobby is juvenile and silly, you either get this hobby and appreciate it or you don't, I don't see much of a middle ground, which sucks, I don't care if everyone I know is into it, but it'd be nice if they could take me seriously despite me being into it.

Yeah totally. I at least have a family (whether be inlaws, cousins or siblings) that respect me to not ask silly questions or even make sarcastic gestures. For the most part people that don't collect wouldn't be able to tell you the value of these things so they'd never be able to appreciate them either. Not $$$ value but rather quality value.

Found the pictures of Maga presenting Sly the Rocky and Rambo statues.

1196367178756_1648_0010_jpg_290_210.jpg

re.jpg

stallonerocky-1.jpg

stallonerambo-1.jpg

And incase anyone wonders, this is Edinho Maga, he's sculped both Rambo statues for HCG and the Rocky was a private piece.

DSC05085-1.jpg

And this is Sly with artist Bill Pruitt, who's a huge Sly fan and does many Sly artworks, especially Rocky and Rambo. I've got several of his prints.

billslys.jpg

It'd be a dream for me if I could meet Sly and share my artwork with him.

Well, one thing that gives Sly a possible edge over Arnie is his 2 marquee characters. While many people know and love the Terminator, I don't think that character has quite had the impact that Rambo and Rocky have had, Sly helped create and shape two characters that have had touched people's lives. Sure Rambo is very much a classic action character, but some of what he stands for means a lot to people, like me, and Rocky's a guy you just love to root for and wish you knew. In the Rocky Balboa behind the scenes features on the DVD, people were shouting out at Sly calling him Rocky more than his real name. Terminator's a classic character and I love the movies, but he doesn't stand for anything positive like a Rambo or connect with you like a Rocky.

That's something I've always liked about Sly. He's always seemed to have appreciated his fame , great to see how much he seems to like the hot toys stuff !.

I wouldn't say the Terminator (from T2+) didn't stand for anything positive. He was a selfless protector, probably one of the reasons why the second film seems to be more popular with people. Though I agree there wasn't as strong of a connection on a human level.

I guess that pretty much confirms that one member here that said Sly was into various toys of himself. Very cool, thanks for sharing. I would assume HT's sent these to him?
i think it only confirms that if you are a celeb you can get a toy of yourself for free and look cool holding it. :)

That's SO AWESOME! When was the last time you saw an actor hold his own HT figure? This is a first, right? Again, awesome.
donnie yen just did the same thing with his enterbay's. and i'm sure ht sent their figure to every one of the actors/actresses they did figures of.

Well, one thing that gives Sly a possible edge over Arnie is his 2 marquee characters. While many people know and love the Terminator, I don't think that character has quite had the impact that Rambo and Rocky have had, Sly helped create and shape two characters that have had touched people's lives. Sure Rambo is very much a classic action character, but some of what he stands for means a lot to people, like me, and Rocky's a guy you just love to root for and wish you knew. In the Rocky Balboa behind the scenes features on the DVD, people were shouting out at Sly calling him Rocky more than his real name. Terminator's a classic character and I love the movies, but he doesn't stand for anything positive like a Rambo or connect with you like a Rocky.

you said it. terminator is purely cameron's creation. rocky is sweat and blood sly's own creation. and while rambo wasnt originally conceived by him(it's from a book), he did help shape the character for film by writing & directing for the franchise.

Absolutely agree with this. I can't count how many times I've watched Rocky movies(especially Rocky I). It's been more than just movies for me. I liked watching Rocky alone....absorbing the mood of the story, and really feeling like being a part of Rocky. I can go on and on telling how Rocky inspired me but I'm sure you get the idea.

Isn't Sly an artist on some level (painter or sculptor)? I think being an artist he can appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into these things, juvenile or not.

Just being an artist isn't enough. I'm an artist and there are forms of art that I don't get or appreciate/respect. Sometimes you just don't, and I'm sure plenty of stars don't and may even find it creepy, certainly ones who won't allow their likeness to be used have some issue with it.

Just being an artist isn't enough. I'm an artist and there are forms of art that I don't get or appreciate/respect. Sometimes you just don't, and I'm sure plenty of stars don't and may even find it creepy, certainly ones who won't allow their likeness to be used have some issue with it.

From their point of view, it is kinda creepy adults collecting toys of their character's likeness. Things nightmares are made of :horror

I think probably the majority who refuse to license their likeness do so not because they're creeped out but because they feel it in some way cheapens them or the particular role.

I think Stallone is interested in making a kind of icon of himself and his career (and I think he's succeeding at it too), which I don't see anything wrong with at all. Maybe I'm mistaken, but long ago didn't he at one point commission several statues of himself as 'Rocky,' out of his own pocket, and try to donate one to a art gallery? I'm not certain of the true story there but I think actions like that go towards explaining a good part of why he's happy for figures like this to be made, not some love of art or what have you.

just found out that barner ross is the name of real boxer. dont think it's a coincidence that sly's character is named the same.

i think most actors just are good businessman/woman, and they welcome any merchandising money that come their way, be it from toys and whatnot. if they dont want to give away their likeness now, it's because they feel they're not offered enough money.

Back