MMS121 - Iron Man 2: 1/6th scale Whiplash Limited Edition Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got links?

How did it turn out btw?

Yeah here https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76897

pics and info are all throughout the thread, the first mention of the paint is in post #6

Seems to work pretty well, he turned a green vest into a red one. The only problem he had was turning a green vest yellow. He said it just wasn't coming out the right color.

The current shade of brown might be too dark to change to orange but again I don't know much about the stuff.

So I seem to have been summoned :lol

Getting the jumpsuit orange really depends on what it is made of. If it is a synthetic material, it won't dye. But if it isn't a synthetic material, then it can be dyed. But I would think with such a dark color as the brown is, it would have to be un-dyed first. There is a color remover that is pretty nasty stuff. It turned a navy blue colored Cobra Trooper uniform orange. Not quite the orange whiplash's jumpsuit is, but orange nonetheless. I would think using the color remover and then dying it orange would yield the best results.

If the jumpsuit is un-dyeable, then we'd have to resort to fabric paint. Since the Chris vest is more of a windbreaker type of material than regular cloth, I'm not sure what the result would be. What I used for Barry's red and Joseph's blue vests was fabric 'spray paint.' Instead of spraying it, I just applied it by hand. But yellow just wasn't strong enough. I just ended up with a lighter shade of green.

I recently found a 'normal' fabric painted called 'linen.' Its basically an off white. And that works very well on the vest. And the test patch I did looked really good when I put yellow paint over it. I just haven't had a lot of time lately to finish it. Most likely after SDCC at this point.

But again, this material on the vests isn't easily to compare to standard cloth. I would imagine standard cloth would be much easier to work with, but I don't know for sure.

If I can get ahold of an extra jumpsuit I would certainly begin experimenting :D

Summoned? ha you're crazy :cuckoo::monkey3

Thanks for the info! I guess some experimenting is in order..hmmm. I think my only concern with dyeing it is, you would lose the burnt look on the edges. Like some have said, maybe I'll try to get an extra pair, and fiddle with it.

Thanks again BM!

So I seem to have been summoned :lol

Getting the jumpsuit orange really depends on what it is made of. If it is a synthetic material, it won't dye. But if it isn't a synthetic material, then it can be dyed. But I would think with such a dark color as the brown is, it would have to be un-dyed first. There is a color remover that is pretty nasty stuff. It turned a navy blue colored Cobra Trooper uniform orange. Not quite the orange whiplash's jumpsuit is, but orange nonetheless. I would think using the color remover and then dying it orange would yield the best results.

If the jumpsuit is un-dyeable, then we'd have to resort to fabric paint. Since the Chris vest is more of a windbreaker type of material than regular cloth, I'm not sure what the result would be. What I used for Barry's red and Joseph's blue vests was fabric 'spray paint.' Instead of spraying it, I just applied it by hand. But yellow just wasn't strong enough. I just ended up with a lighter shade of green.

I recently found a 'normal' fabric painted called 'linen.' Its basically an off white. And that works very well on the vest. And the test patch I did looked really good when I put yellow paint over it. I just haven't had a lot of time lately to finish it. Most likely after SDCC at this point.

But again, this material on the vests isn't easily to compare to standard cloth. I would imagine standard cloth would be much easier to work with, but I don't know for sure.

If I can get ahold of an extra jumpsuit I would certainly begin experimenting :D

Let us know how your experiment works, mate. I would most certainly be interested to get them dyed orange if the result is significant and movie accurate orange color.

Getting them BRIGHT orange will be trick, no doubts there. But I think a little darker and weathered/burned is very possible. You certainly won't get a 'just on the track' whiplash out of the HT jumpsuit anyway.

By the way, anyone ever figure out why there is the brown to orange mandate on Whiplash figures. Surely the orange jumpsuit wasn't copyrighted? :lol

Getting them BRIGHT orange will be trick, no doubts there. But I think a little darker and weathered/burned is very possible. You certainly won't get a 'just on the track' whiplash out of the HT jumpsuit anyway.

By the way, anyone ever figure out why there is the brown to orange mandate on Whiplash figures. Surely the orange jumpsuit wasn't copyrighted? :lol

Marvel did not allow....

or...

Marvel/Disney... do be more precise...

But WHY is what I'm asking. Whats wrong with the orange? Its like demanding Iron Man can't have red on his figures so you have to use blue instead :dunno

someone posted something about it, but goodness it's somewhere in this thread. It was something about the monaco raceway and the french not being philanthropists and something blah blah blah...I have no idea what I'm saying, it makes no sense that a color is licensed :lol

Edit, ok found the post. But it wasn't an official reason. My bad.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2531232&postcount=296

Last edited:
Woohoo!!! Whiplash has landed in our warehouse. Impressions tomorrow.
^^
Pics for now ... in Selangor/KL...
HT_IM2_Whiplash_01.jpg
HT_IM2_Whiplash_02.jpg

HT_IM2_Whiplash_03.jpg

HT_IM2_Whiplash_04.jpg
HT_IM2_Whiplash_05.jpg

HT_IM2_Whiplash_06.jpg
HT_IM2_Whiplash_07.jpg

HT_IM2_Whiplash_08.jpg
HT_IM2_Whiplash_09.jpg

HT_IM2_Whiplash_10.jpg

Last edited:
someone posted something about it, but goodness it's somewhere in this thread. It was something about the monaco raceway and the french not being philanthropists and something blah blah blah...I have no idea what I'm saying, it makes no sense that a color is licensed :lol

Edit, ok found the post. But it wasn't an official reason. My bad.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2531232&postcount=296

:lecture (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monaco)
"The Principality of Monaco is a small sovereign city-state located in South Western Europe on the northern central coast of the Mediterranean Sea. It is surrounded on three sides by its neighbour, France, and its centre is about 16 km (9.9 mi) from Italy. Its area is just under 2 km² with an estimated population of almost 33,000.
Monaco is the name of the country and its capital (and only) city. It is famous as a tax haven, and wealthy foreigners make up the majority of the population at approximately 84%.
Monaco is a constitutional monarchy and principality, with Prince Albert II as head of state. The House of Grimaldi has ruled Monaco since 1297, and the state's sovereignty was officially recognized by the Franco-Monegasque Treaty of 1861. Despite Monaco being independent, its defence is the responsibility of France."

:cuckoo:And yes, here is another oddity very French... Do not try to understand :rotfl

No, of course it is not official, but to know a little intricacies of intellectual property (that's part of my job), just change a little bit something (in this case color suit) to no longer be subject to the fee for a copyright.
Let me remind you (I'll do in the cartoon to make simple):
Monaco = $

Am I clear this time? :wink1:

The box is cheap but the Mk VI/Whip paper bag come with the figure is nice :panic:

Last edited:
I know, I know. Personally, I am the first to deplore these rules mercantile and wished a suit with good orange to correspond more to the film. But so is business...

How fast do you think this figure will sell out/hike up in price?

I really want him.... but i want the Mark II version more.

Back