1/6 MMS DX 02 - TDK- BATMAN full spec and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS DX 02 - TDK- BATMAN full spec and pics

So vodoun, what are your feelings on the head now that you're seeing it in person?

It's hard to tell but I really don't have any gripes with it. It looks really ace. The same things are happening with this as is the Medicom head. Sometimes it looks too thin then other times it looks just right. This cowl sure is one heck of a thing for illusions and I can never capture it correctly. I'd have to dig out the light tent but I really can't be bothered.

I still think the shoulders are too broad on both TDK figures making me/us think the head is still too narrow to some degree.

Sonar Man with buddylee short cape based on the v1 HT stencil.

dscf8764o.jpg

dscf8768s.jpg

dscf8767k.jpg

I think the shoulders are just right on the DX, any narrower and you would be in Prometheus territory.
What I think gives the DX head that narrow look when viewed at certain angles, is the two contoured lines that run along either side of the cowl.

Not forgetting though there was times in the film the cowl was exactly like the figure but when his face bunches up it elongates the sides temporarily. The joys of real life full scale rubber. ¬_¬

The one thing I still detest with this is still having to submerge the hands and pegs in near boiling water to swap them. If only there was a peg for every hand.

I'm always a nervous wreck gently wiggling the peg out before it pops out. Thankfully the hot water saves it everytime.

I am glad HT included the "spare" pegs, i just used them instead of heating hands to swap, I'll only ever really use the gun holding hands and the fists so those have permanent pegs in them.

Regarding the hand pegs....one of mine is stuck in the socket permanently....it's too tight and I can hardly turn it to other directions.

I tried the hair dryer, didnt work.....will boiling or hot water work better?

I am certainly happy they included the spare pegs as I still get nightmares of breaking them on my first ever figure and my first hand removal :( I am just curious thoughas these really do not cost much and now we get 4 pegs, whats preventing HT from just including a peg with each hand.. we are only short by 2 more pegs? :p

I am glad HT included the "spare" pegs, i just used them instead of heating hands to swap, I'll only ever really use the gun holding hands and the fists so those have permanent pegs in them.

Hey do both sculpts magnetically attach to the neck pegs?

I am certainly happy they included the spare pegs as I still get nightmares of breaking them on my first ever figure and my first hand removal :( I am just curious thoughas these really do not cost much and now we get 4 pegs, whats preventing HT from just including a peg with each hand.. we are only short by 2 more pegs? :p

I never understood that either. It's what they did with the predators, and those are bigger, like 1 pred joint would equal a set if bats joints. Oh well.

will boiling or hot water work better?

That is the most easiest and safest way. I hold a cloth over the peg and gently wiggle at the same time pulling while it's relatively pliable. Slowly gently left and right moves while pulling releases it with no damage. It's what works for me.

dscf8776.jpg

dscf8775.jpg

dscf8770q.jpg

dscf8772.jpg

I never understood that either. It's what they did with the predators, and those are bigger, like 1 pred joint would equal a set if bats joints. Oh well.

It does seem strange, I found it annoying all along with the Predators, but now, it's kind of like, why not just do one for each, Batman comes with 6 hands 4 pegs, 2 more and you wouldn't have to worry. Some figures it's ok because the hands come off easy, but seems like anything with gloves tends to be more challenging and gloves like Batman's have parts that go around the ball off the joint so you can't get a good grip on the least fragile point.

Nice photo work vodoun.

Nice photo work vodoun.

Sadly I can't get away with the low lit environments like you and neo. It comes out grainy no matter what I do and starts to lose it's focus. Also the room I'm in unlike the previous, this is the worst room for lighting due to the energy saving bulbs. The light tent however gives it new life. Hopefully I'll be able to get a DSLR in the near future. My camera is so ancient now. Early 2005. I'm more or less in the same boat as wookster.

I'd love to achieve something like that some day with a DSLR. That lighting is epic. Such lovely warmth. Looks like something from a top magazine.

213.jpg

Sideshow manages to include a wrist peg with each hand sculpt for their figures! That's one thing I wish Hot Toys would adopt.

btw cool pics, Vodoun. I need a new camera lens!

How is your stands? I'm having a small but somewhat a little annoying thing with the lights. All lights work but on one stand the left light wont face the corner of the grey corner. It'll face every other direction but towards the figure. Same goes for the other stand but it's the right light that has the exact same symptom. Face every direction but the right grey corner towards the figure.

I'm not really bothered but this never occurred with the DX Joker stand.

dscf8772.jpg

That looks like nice low lighting to me. Unfortunately, some of the neat effects in photos can really be tied to the specific camera, which is why fancy and pricey isn't always the sure fire way to do what you want. I love the light quality of Neo's photos and would love to take similar, it's just not possible with my camera, the way it treats light and color just won't get the same effects, I try to mimic it and the results aren't the same, I'm exploring Photoshop combinations that could convert photos to have that look, there's a quality to the coloration in his shots that I really like, my camera makes color too vivid on me, and simply desaturating the shot isn't the same.

Sadly I can't get away with the low lit environments like you and neo. It comes out grainy no matter what I do and starts to lose it's focus. Also the room I'm in unlike the previous, this is the worst room for lighting due to the energy saving bulbs. The light tent however gives it new life. Hopefully I'll be able to get a DSLR in the near future. My camera is so ancient now. Early 2005. I'm more or less in the same boat as wookster.

I'd love to achieve something like that some day with a DSLR. That lighting is epic. Such lovely warmth. Looks like something from a top magazine.

213.jpg

I could do that shot without a DSLR for the most part, maybe not the depth of field, but the lighting I was doing before with my point and shoot.

All it took for me to get that shot was using my shoe mount flash aimed at my closet door which has a very orange finish, and the background is just my Jerry Vanderstelt print hanging on the wall and blurred out.

20070412_vanders_bg.jpg

Someday, I want and plan to invest in photo tents and stuff like that, I feel I'm at a point I need it, but I've been doing alright just using anything laying around in my room so far. I use my computer monitor, numerous hand held LED lights, anything that could do the trick.

How is your stands? I'm having a small but somewhat a little annoying thing with the lights. All lights work but on one stand the left light wont face the corner of the grey corner. It'll face every other direction but towards the figure. Same goes for the other stand but it's the right light that has the exact same symptom. Face every direction but the right grey corner towards the figure.

I'm not really bothered but this never occurred with the DX Joker stand.

One of LEDs on mine is that way too the sameone to exact

I'm currently trying a fairly simple fix for the lingering ab oil issues involving an Exacto knife, electrical tape and acrylic paint/sealer. Keep your fingers crossed.

Back