1/6 MMS DX 02 - TDK- BATMAN full spec and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS DX 02 - TDK- BATMAN full spec and pics

i thought about starting a thread about this, but maybe you guys could help. how could two different companies get to make the same kind of toy from the same license? it was enterbay & HT with godfather, and now HT & medicom with the bat. if the toys are of different scales or materials i could understand, but these are the same kind of toys they're making. isnt the point of acquiring a license for you to be the sole holder of said license until such time expired?

obviously the game has changed now. anyone care to provide some insider insights into this? facts please, not speculations.

I think your confusing licensing with patenting. Ask George Lucas he knows a few things about licensing :D Anyway HT's and Medi are different scales ones about 12" the others a about 11".

Unless the license is exclusive. Just like with videogames: some games are exclusive to a specific system. Some aren't and appear on multiple platforms. Some licenses apply only to one medium (like a game exclusive for PS3 but allowed on the PC). Some licenses have exclusivity that has a loop hole like Resident Evil 4. It was exclusive on the Nintendo Gamecube but that exclusivity only extended to game systems for that generation. Since technically, the PS2 was from the N64 console cycle (Gamecube predecessor) Capcom was able to port RE4 to PS2. They also released it on the PC. Some games have a time limit on exclusivity: Six months to a full year on a single platform before other versions can be released.

Same thing with these type of collectibles: It all depends on the specifications of the license.

when i meant 'sole holder', i meant in term of the specific kind of toys to be made(scale, materials, price range, etc.). sure, you could license away your brand to many different companies, but usually it's ONE company doing ONE kind of product at ONE time. it's only fair for the companies acquiring your license.

regarding starwars, while sideshow and gentle giant are catering to the same market, you could argue they're not making the same things, categorically. higher priced pf and 12" articulated figures for sideshow, busts and lower priced basic statues for gentle giant. hottoys and medicom though are making the same figure, in the same scale, for the same price, at the same time.

To be sole holder would be far to expensive and i doubt they could even make their money back in the short amount of time they held it. Most companies just get a smaller restricted liscensing fee which all things made by are watched over by the liscensor.

Same thing with these type of collectibles: It all depends on the specifications of the license.

it all depend on the agreement, of course. you're right. it just that the game has never been played this way before (do correct me if i'm wrong), and i'm suprised an established toymaker like HT would agree to such condition.

Tbh i think its always been like this. I think it depends on which sector its in ie games, figures etc. Game companies can afford to pay once as sole holder to make 1 game or a few under that specific title, and doing so with less complications than other marketed items.

With figure/statue making companies you need a long license spanning several years to be able to make enough items with a larger amount of variety, so things can be a bit complicated. When u have to add real peoples faces to items, which is another rights issue that needs to be addressed, it kinda gets messy. So under those conditions sole holder would be both pricey and hard to pin down. Also you have to remember companies like SSC HT'S and Medi hold several licenses at once. If they held sole licenses the cost would be insane.

it all depend on the agreement, of course. you're right. it just that the game has never been played this way before (do correct me if i'm wrong), and i'm suprised an established toymaker like HT would agree to such condition.

Maybe they couldn't afford/didn't think it was worth paying for a 100% exclusive 1/6 scale license for The Godfather or TDK. Or maybe, those licences weren't even offered as exclusive. :confused:

I think it shows why HT's scramble to pop out a fairly acurate figure before or just after a film has been made. Its all about the license, time equals money afterall. They just want to reap in the money before the other companies who have the same loose license can pop out their figs 1st. Personally i wish they'd wait and get it fully accurate, so people wouldn't have to moan about accuracy, or feel ripped off by them for having the same figure re-released again in a short amount of time.

damn. this looks good. i'll probably get him so i can leave the first version on the bat-pod fulltime. good to see he has a longer cape.

damn. this looks good. i'll probably get him so i can leave the first version on the bat-pod fulltime. good to see he has a longer cape.

I'm going to do the same thing with my V1. Quite excited for this release!

I'm going to do the same thing with my V1. Quite excited for this release!

all this talk about leaving the V1 Bats on the batpod has me thinking i got to get me a batpod, oh well its worth it. and i really hope they keep the longer cape

this new batman has monkey arms and hands that are too big so sad

I think that the arms and hands look great and not so toyish like with medi.
That was what hold me back from the medi, the weird ankles.

I think that the arms and hands look great and not so toyish like with medi.
That was what hold me back from the medi, the weird ankles.

Screw the amazing cowl sculpt and the accurate armour! Those damn ankles will forever stop me from buying this amazing medi figure!!! I just couldn't bare him on my shelf with those ankles looking at me!!!! :lol:rotfl

i can't believe some of u are complaining so much about the dx batman.

the v1 was already great to me, which is why i bought it. but this update is just top-notch work from hot toys. sure, the proportions and details of the suit are not absolutely 100% perfect. but those are details u really have to look HARD to spot.

the light-up sonar eyes, the extra portraits, the sticky bomb gun are all superb, and imo do justify the existence of a DX version. am i a little bummed that there's a newer version with better accessories? yeah. do i think hot toys is being kinda unfair to its loyal customers? well, it all boils down to supply and demand. the fact is, many of us collectors want what ht puts out. i agree that they could've put out the best possible version in the first place. but i also accept that they're in a business. it's not like the first tdk batman was crap. at least to me and many collectors. they just happened to release a version that's even better. it's a little sneaky but not entirely underhanded to me.

i wish i had the extra cash to get this. but i'm still pretty happy with the version i have. those of u who can afford this, just get it if u want it. and enjoy it for what it is: (to date) the best 1/6 version of the dark knight batman collectors can get.

just my 2 cents'. :)

I think the DX figs have so many features because they're deluxe,and I think that the reason HT is revisiting these characters is because:
1.they are two of the more popular and prominent characters
2.The Dark Knight seems to be one of their top selling lines.

My favorite pose, This is a real Batman

DX02_TDK_Batman_13.jpg

Agreed that this is the best pic of it so far.

I believe they definately should take a bit more of the whole upper torso and shoulder section out. They've proportioned it down a tad, but angles still make it look massive in comparison to the real suit. It's too bulgy. Perhaps it's not actually the armour only, but a neck that is placed up too high, making the armour look too bulgy. Not to mention the forearm. On the second pic, i lowered the base neck placement, putting it infront of the armour. Looks ten times better to me, makes the armour appear nowhere near as bulgy. Or maybe it's just me :p
Anyone reckon you could put the HT head on the Medi body? That would be a sick combo!
thirdcompares.jpg

thirdcompare2.jpg

Personally, I love this figure just the way it is - the only thing I don't like is the backpack but since there's a cape included too that really isn't going to bother me :) I've never liked the look of Batman without his cape - just looks weird!
Really looking forward to getting this :D

Back