MLB-2009 Push for the World Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. The Yankees racked up a lot of titles back in the 20's and 60's time in which there wasn't many teams and NY being the big city could buy all the players they wanted.

Today there's more teams(watered down) but NY has such high revenue they can still spend over $200 million in the middle of a recession no less.

there wasn't free agency until the 70s. you couldn't just outbid teams for players. you had trade for them. Ruth only left the Red Sox because the owner of the Red Sox was an idiot that preferred running theater instead of baseball. Otherwise the Sox could have controlled Ruth for his entire career.

there wasn't free agency until the 70s. you couldn't just outbid teams for players. you had trade for them. Ruth only left the Red Sox because the owner of the Red Sox was an idiot that preferred running theater instead of baseball. Otherwise the Sox could have controlled Ruth for his entire career.

Teams back then coudnt pay the top players top money except NY. Thats how they loaded up alot of top players.

I don't think thats right. The Yankees won a lot, thus their players became known as the top players and yes they were paid a lot of money.

Except for Ruth I don't think the Yankees "bought" their line ups because as I said there was not free agency back then.

The only leverage players had was to simply retire if they didn't like the team they were on. So the Yankees couldn't wait for players to bolt for higher salaries.

I don't think that's right. The Yankees won a lot, thus their players became known as the top players and yes they were paid a lot of money.

Except for Ruth I don't think the Yankees "bought" their line ups because as I said there was not free agency back then.

The only leverage players had was to simply retire if they didn't like the team they were on. So the Yankees couldn't wait for players to bolt for higher salaries.

Roger Maris was traded to NY from KC cause KC was tight with there money, and we all know what he did.

Reggie Jackson was added to the Yankees in 76 via free agency.

i don't know what motivation KC had for the trade. I don't think it was strickly financial like "we can't pay Maris so we'll trade him" because back then the only leverage a player had was to retire. baseball had something called the reserve clause which meant the current team perpetually owned the player until they didn't want him anymore.

that said, I don't know what motivation NY had to pay their players higher salaries because they weren't forced to back then. :shrug

out of curiosity, whats to dislike about Jeter aside from being a prettyboy?

I wouldn't call him a pretty boy :monkey4

Over the years I've read and seen alot about him, both in articles and interviews and I just don't care for him.

On my other computer that went boom a few years ago, I had a link to a baseball groupie website that someone in the baseball world had given me and it had some really surprising things on it. It just fueled my disgust for the guy. Him and Arod both. Wish I still had the link.

I hate seeing him come to bat. That damn gun chewing drives me nuts! :lol

All that aside, the Yankees win cuz they WANT to win Championships. For most of these owners its a business, they dont care about winning a championship, if they make 20 mill a season, then thats a great investment, why would they spend 130 mill more in salaries if they would only make another 40 mill, it doesnt make sense, thats why they dont go after and pay the big bucks. Marquee cities need to spend to remain marquee, the small markets are content with mediocrity cuz it still makes money, especially when they get revenue sharing from the guys going on spending sprees.

Back in those days they even traded managers. Owners traded players for all kinds of reasons, money included.

All that aside, the Yankees win cuz they WANT to win Championships. For most of these owners its a business, they dont care about winning a championship, if they make 20 mill a season, then thats a great investment, why would they spend 130 mill more in salaries if they would only make another 40 mill, it doesnt make sense, thats why they dont go after and pay the big bucks. Marquee cities need to spend to remain marquee, the small markets are content with mediocrity cuz it still makes money, especially when they get revenue sharing from the guys going on spending sprees.

Small markets aren't content with mediocrity, they just don't have the revenue that NY has. NY has a bottomless pit of money coming in from alot of different sources, something that smaller markets can't have. Revenue sharing is a drop in the bucket compared to that.

The game needs a salary cap, pure and simple.

Small markets aren't content with mediocrity, they just don't have the revenue that NY has. NY has a bottomless pit of money coming in from alot of different sources, something that smaller markets can't have. Revenue sharing is a drop in the bucket compared to that.

The game needs a salary cap, pure and simple.

How do you know how much money each owner has to allocate to their team?? The Yankees and others yes they generate more, from TV deals and such but they also put more towards winning, sometimes that pays off, other times it doesnt, see NY Mets :(

How do you know how much money each owner has to allocate to their team?? The Yankees and others yes they generate more, from TV deals and such but they also put more towards winning, sometimes that pays off, other times it doesnt, see NY Mets :(

They put more towards winning because they simple have more to spend! Not every owner has the money that Steinbrenner (and the other Yankee owners) have, plus all the revenue from TV, radio and marketing. They probably make a few million just from the Yankee gear the rappers buy alone. :lol

I still believe that if Arod produced more in the post season since being bought by the Yankees they would've won even more WS. I think when your big slugger goes into a big slump, that it sucks the life out of the team.

Hafner for the loss........:(

They put more towards winning because they simple have more to spend! Not every owner has the money that Steinbrenner (and the other Yankee owners) have, plus all the revenue from TV, radio and marketing. They probably make a few million just from the Yankee gear the rappers buy alone. :lol

I still believe that if Arod produced more in the post season since being bought by the Yankees they would've won even more WS. I think when your big slugger goes into a big slump, that it sucks the life out of the team.

Hafner for the loss........:(

All valid and true points, if I had a penny for every sideways Yankee hat.......

My point is only that the Steinbrenners, whether or not they have the money, take big gambles with the spending. Certina they have more to gamble with, but its a gamble nonetheless. See Bobby Bonilla, Mo Vaughn ETC :)

the gamble is what I think most owners are worried about. I think most owners would spend more liberally if it meant that if a player got hurt or they weren't playing to their price tag, they could be cut.
the NFL owners in small markets splurge because they know they can always cut a player. the MLB has guaranteed contracts whereas the NFL doesn't.

The Rockies have been burned by guys like Mike Hampton that they sign to big contracts and then they stink. Owners like the Steinbrenners can eat a contract and not worry about it. If Texiera got hurt and the Yankees lost $100m to a guy that never played again, they shrug it off. Many teams that would send them into a world of hurt for the next 10 years.

Back