MGBB Custom Works *Update on Page 9*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgbb

Freaked Out
Reaction score
shapeimage_1.png

I am not new to 1/6 world but I am pretty new to this forum. I quite like the idea of having a dedicated area for customizers to share their work. I will start by posting some of my old work here and will keep it updated with my latest work in the future. All comments, critics or questions are welcome.

My 1/6 hobby has begun around 2004. As most people do, I started as a collector who did not quite change anything to the box figures. But very soon I began to do some kitbashing by mix and matching costume and parts. After a while, I was no longer satisfied with what the 1/6 makers produced so I started to customize. The early days I was kitbashing a lot of SDU and SWAT figures. Recently I am working on anime and game theme characters.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Re: MGBB Custom Works

This is the work almost 3 years back. I like Shirow Masamune's work a lot. Appleseed is one of my all time favorite anime.

Deunan_Cover.jpg

Since Takara and HT announced the release of Deunan, I have been planning on doing one. However, the one I have in mind is not the one as in Ex Machina, but the version in Appleseed 1 while she was still fighting in the Global War.
Details of Appleseed the movie and Deunan can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appleseed_(film)

Photoshoped CG's
Concepts of these CG are mainly based on the opening scenes of Appleseed 1 movie. Deunan and her team are in urban street fight with some unknown army.
The idea of this CG is based on those high mobility tanks in the opening. They are equipped with gatling guns of enormous power.
Deunan_Casting04a.jpg

On request of Phantom11 (Roy) I did this CG based on one of the acrobatic moves of Deunan doing a back flip and fire her shot gun at one of the enemies.
Deunan_Casting01.jpg

Well, how can I not do a CG of Deunan and Briareos. Here is one based on the movie poster.
Deunan_Casting06.jpg

One of the challenge of this project was to collect all the matching parts. I would say the result is 70% alike. The major gap is probably the hair style of the Takara head is not really faithful to Deunan, and I did not attempt to fix it. Below is capturing the progress over the course of a month how the figure has evolved from the beginning to the end result.
Deunan_WIP.jpg

Parts Breakdown:
Head - Takara Deunan repainted (see below)
Body - CoolGirl 2.0, applied matt paint and pastel chalk
Hands - CoolGirl hands modified (see below)
Tank Top - Azone, collar cut
Pants - unknown parts bought online, modified to fit female body
Boots - unknown parts bought in Tokyo
Night Vision Goggles - custom made (see below)
Assault SMG - custom made (see below)
Gong Shot Gun - from a Motoko figure, repainted
Shot Gun Holster - from CoolGirl12, modified
Hand Gun - from Takara Deunan
Hand Gun Holster - unknown parts bought online
Deunan_Set01.jpg

Deunan_Set02.jpg

Thanks guys!

Those are good boots although I wish them to be smaller to fit the female body better.

Akin_Cover2.jpg

Continue with my Appleseed project. Akin Shone is a fictional character I created. The idea is based on Deunan's troop in the opening of the movie. One of the team members is an african holding a rocket launcher. In designing the character I also came up with an idea that this soldier has lost his right eye and ear during war. He has become a cyborg since then.
Akin_Ref.jpg

Photoshop CG's
CG concept was based on the team were engaging with enemies in the middle of the ruined city.
Akin_Casting01.jpg

Akin_Casting03.jpg

Deunan_Casting08.jpg

Parts Breakdown:
Head - BBI Bobcat, modified (see below)
Body - BBI G3.5, arms repainted
Hands - loose part bought in Japan
Vest - Dragon urban vest
Pants - Dragon urban cammo
Boots - loose part bought in Japan
Rocket Launcher - custom made (see below)
Hand Gun - Hot Toys Deunan
Hand Gun Holster - Soldier Story
Pouch - Very Hot
Akin_Set01.jpg

Akin_Set02.jpg

Head Sculpt Modification
The idea of this cyborg head is reference to Manuel Aeacus in Appleseed Ex Machine. Half of the skull is covered with alloy with artificial eye and ear implanted. To sculpt this, first I made a thin sheet of epoxy putty. Then place the sheet on the head and remove excessive parts. Use sculpting tool and knife to create the shape and linings while the putty is still soft. Use a motor grinder to refine the shape. The cyber eye is from HT SDU NVG. Finally add bolt parts and decal to enrich details.
Akin_HS.jpg

Rocket Launcher Customization
The rocket launcher is made of parts coming from various weapon. The main base is a AT-4. I added the grip and trigger from a FIM-43. The mounting rail on top is from FAMAS rifle. Finally the target homing device is from an Armored Core weapon kit with other details added. The result resembles to the one in the movie.
Akin_Rocket_WIP1.jpg

Akin_Rocket_WIP2.jpg

Great to see you here MGBB, I know your work too well from OSW also! Your Soap and Ghost modern warfare figures are still amongst some of my favourite figures. Just awesome.

Great to see you here MGBB, I know your work too well from OSW also! Your Soap and Ghost modern warfare figures are still amongst some of my favourite figures. Just awesome.
Platty, thanks! I'm glad you like my MW2 figures. Those are some of my favorite as well. I will get them re-post here later.

Concept of this part is based on Deunan joining Olympus City ESWAT. I also bashed one in casual look.
Deunan_Cover2.jpg

CG Corner:
Deunan in landmate hangar
Deunan_CG24.jpg

This is based on a movie scene that Deunan is drinking alone in a bar
Deunan_CG22.jpg

In this CG, Deunan is in her casual dress attending a rooftop party
Deunan_CG23.jpg

I quite like this posing
Deunan_CG25.jpg

Parts Breakdown (ESWAT version):
Head - Takara Deunan repainted
Body - CoolGirl 2.0, applied matt paint and pastel chalk
Hands - CoolGirl hands modified
Tank Top - Azone, collar cut
Jacket - CYGirl Blaze, logo reprinted (see below)
Pants - DML urban cammo, modified to fit female body
Boots - unknown parts bought in Tokyo
Hand Gun - from Takara Deunan
Ear Protector - HT SDU, repainted (see below)
Sun Glasses - Forever Virginia
Deunan_Set4.jpg

Parts Breakdown (Casual version):
Dress - Azone
Boots - Reload Action
Bangle - CoolGirl CG-12 Ruby
Handbag - Azone
Deunan_Set3.jpg

Jacket Logo
CYGirl Blaze's jacket has a very nice match with the one in the movie. The ESWAT logos are made by iron press image transfer paper. First print the logo on the transfer paper. By using iron to heat up the paper, the image is then transferred to the jacket. The iron temperature needed to be set carefully otherwise it may damage the fabric. I found the result quite satisfactory.
Deunan_Jacket.jpg

bPicture_3.png

Ear Protector
This is simply a repainted HT SDU headset. Decals were applied. To make it look seamless, I applied a coat of gloss clear paint on top to seal the decals
Deunan_Ear_Protector.jpg

This was a CG I made for entering a the OSW SF Contest in 2008.

Time is year 2011, 70% of human have lost their life in this war with the alien life form which had invaded the earth 2 years ago. Most countries have been devastated. The ones who are still surviving have formed militia to fight back. Akin Shone, who has become a cyborg during the war, is leading a small troop equipped with anti-armor weapons. The place is at a ruined city in Southern America. Akin's team has successfully ambushed an alien armored transportation. An alien dead body is lying in the wreckage.
Akin_Casting04.jpg

P1060679.jpg

P1060680.jpg

P1060681.jpg

P1060683.jpg

Deunan_Cover4.jpg

This is Part 4 of my Appleseed project. The idea of this figure project is based on Appleseed Ex Machine.
Storyline of Ex Machina: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appleseed_Ex_Machina
Deunan_4Ref.jpg

Photoshop Graphics (some are 1024x800 large size pics good for screen background use)

This CG is based on the last scene when Deunan was defeated by Xander, the cyborg. The apparatus in her hand is the serum antidote for the virus that is controlling Xander.
Deunan_CG47a.jpg

In the movie opening scene, Deunan, Briareos and other ESWAT members rescued the hostages kept in a church. They teamed up perfectly to neutralize the cyborg gangsters. The background of this CG is taken from the Prague Castle Church, which the movie is based on.
Deunan_CG48.jpg

In this scene, Deunan and Tereus are in their landmates guarding the International Conference venue in Olympus City. The background of this CG is a video clip from the movie. The landmate is actually 1/20 Hot Toys Snap Kits.
Deunan_CG50.jpg

Concept of this CG is from a movie poster. Other than Deunan and Briareos, the other ESWAT members are 1/20 scale Hot Toys Snap Kits.
Deunan_CG49.jpg

In the hangar, Deunan is taking a rest next to her Landmate.
Deunan_CG45.jpg

Deunan is pulling out her sword to fight with a cyborg enemy in the opening church scene.
Deunan_CG46.jpg

Deunan_CG51.jpg

It is time to be relax: Deunan in her casual wear. The idea is based on her Prada design costume in the movie.
Deunan_CG42.jpg

The Figures

Deunan (Battle Damaged Version)
Head - Takara Deunan repainted, hair trimmed
Aiming Eye - Hot Toys
Body - CoolGirl 2.0
Suit - bought from ActionFigure2000
Armor&Accessories - Takara
Assault SMG - Hot Toys
Sword - Hot Toys
Serum Antidote - Custom made (see below)
Deunan_Casting42.jpg

The original rubber suit from Takara is limiting too much the articulation. I used a more flexible cat suit instead. The thinner cat suit also gives a more natural torn-up look. The armor damages were made by a grinder. Then use 2 different grey levels of paint to dry brush to make the details come out. The wounds on arm and thigh were made by cutting with a red hot knife (ouch!)
Deunan_Casting43.jpg

Looking back, the plan of making a Ex Machina version of Deunan has been in my mind for a while since the figure was out. It took me a while to decide making a damaged version. I got the idea from a PVC figure. The actual work took about 3~4 days.
Deunan_4WIP.jpg

Serum Virus Antidote - this is made from various cut parts: the body is a gun silencer, the green tube is model kit frame, the injector head is a NVG with a gundam part added as the tip, the 4-hook thing is a gundam part cut into shape.
Deunan_Antidote1.jpg

Deunan (Casual Version)
Dress - Azone (fur pockets added, inspired by the Prada dress Deunan worn in the movie)
Belt - loose leather parts
Boots - Custom made (see below)
Deunan_Casting41.jpg

Just happen to find these boots as loose. They are pretty good match with those as seen on the movie data book. First I reduced the height of the boot. Then I added some rivets to give a similar style. Then dry brush.
Deunan_Boots.jpg

P1090150.jpg

P1090162.jpg

P1090169.jpg

Bodies for my Deunan project
P1090182.jpg

Some more CG's

Deunan crashed her landmate to an enemy robot. While she is free falling, Tereus rescued her.
Deunan_CG52.jpg

Deunan put a bullet on Xander's head.
Deunan_CG53.jpg

This CG is purely fictional. The bleeding has been exaggerated using Photoshop effect.
Deunan_CG47.jpg

These look really cool. I recognize Casual Deunan's boots as Triad's Female Biker Boots., of course, you've modded them a bit. It's always cool to see stuff you recognize amongst all the stuff you've created.

Really cool stuff. I was always interested in Hot Toys' Appleseed figs, but I knew the rubber suits were a problem. Cool to see that you've made them your own.

These look really cool. I recognize Casual Deunan's boots as Triad's Female Biker Boots., of course, you've modded them a bit. It's always cool to see stuff you recognize amongst all the stuff you've created.

Really cool stuff. I was always interested in Hot Toys' Appleseed figs, but I knew the rubber suits were a problem. Cool to see that you've made them your own.
Thanks! The Appleseed Deunan was really from Takara. But it also has the rubber suit problem. I replaced it with a more flexible suit to give better pose-ability but sacrificed the accuracy.

Amazing customizing work, Ray.

Never gets tried to see your works, especially those with CG.

Last edited:
Back