Mezco One 12: Popeye

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep.
The figure looks great and comes with a lot but I just don't care for the art direction.
It is on the same level of "what you should NEVER imagine or try to create" as this:

5a4.jpg

Paul giamatti is a good actor though.

That Bluto tease! Having the three main characters in this artstyle could be awesome.

Some photos show a wheel but it isn't listed, I guess finding one should be easy enough though.

I've always wanted a Popeye toy, I'm happy this is coming out!

Yep.
The figure looks great and comes with a lot but I just don't care for the art direction.
It is on the same level of "what you should NEVER imagine or try to create" as this:

5a4.jpg

Ask and you shall receive.

gisd-h008-a.jpg

If that thing was in my house I don't think I would get much sleep. Yikes...
Really nice craftsmanship though.

The Homer is creepy.

But Popeye looks pretty spot on. That price is a little ridiculous for a 6" figure, however. Jeez. I can remember as a kid these things were like $4.00. Is it any wonder parents aren't buying toys like this for their kids anymore... Complete price gouging. Plastic isn't that expensive, and I can't imagine a license for a nearly 90 year old property is all that high, or in demand, either.

I was a wee little kid when the Robin Williams Popeye was released in theaters, I still remember going to see it. I was already a Robin Williams fan because of Mork & Mindy (had the Mork figure in the flying egg). At the time Popeye merch was everywhere and there was a Popeye video game in the arcades I loved playing too. Years later I discovered the classic Fleischer cartoons and own the first volume that was released on DVD, I love that they were predominately set in a run-down, urban ghetto city. This toy brings back the memories. Been waiting to order and got mine locked. I'm going to set up a shelf with some background pics. Can't wait! And I'd be down for a Bluto and Olive down the road....
ChetPhillips_900x.jpg
Hanzel_Haro_popeye.jpg

I hope when people see how popular this has been we will get a 1/6.

I would have preferred a 1/6 figure. This will be my first foray into the Mezco 1:12 world, almost got a Punisher and Joker previously. Still looking forward to this but would certainly "upgrade" to a 1/6 if they ever released one ... which I doubt they will.

I hope when people see how popular this has been we will get a 1/6.

The fact this was written in April and took until September to get a reply kinda shows how the popularity of this Popeye right now. It does look really good, but just am not feeling it for myself.

It's Waitlisted so there is interest. Kind of hoping the release date is pushed back to January. Looking forward to this but this is a "me" thing and I'd rather have it come after Christmas. I'm happy to only have this figure but if they did a bang-up job on a Bluto I'd be interested. I saw a Mezco 1:12 Frankenstein figure at a local comic shop recently, and while I was aware of the scale on these I was a little surprised at how small it was. I really think I'll need some reading glasses to fully appreciate the finer detail. This is just a super interesting looking sculpt and figure. And the improbability alone, as I've noted before, made this impossible to pass on. The recent email from Mezco on Popeye reminded me of this thing. :lol

Back