Metal Gear Solid collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only if it was Berserk :lecture

giphy.gif

Okay, I just noticed Kojima has a GoT shirt. If he watches the show, that absolves him of all sins past and present.
I don't think it'll be enough, he may try to incorporate some things from the show :lol or try to get involved somehow!

The Phantom Pain is still a great game.

As far how it will--or won't--be remembered, heh. What game is these days? Honestly, there's so many different mediums of gaming anymore, that similar to films, no matter how good a title is, it's immediately an afterthought as soon as the next great thing hits.

I think people place far too much blame on Kojima for the "incomplete" feel that MGSV has, and they ultimately end up forgetting that he was putting together that game while simultaneously trying to navigate his way out of treacherous waters at Konami.

By no means am I trying to provide a platform of excuses for the guy. Just stating facts. If you didn't enjoy the game, fair enough. But there's still an audience--myself included--that appreciates it for what it is.

I like the art direction. Sahelanthropus is one of the cooler mech designs in recent memory. Great set pieces. Open world was pretty cool, even if it became repetitive towards the last act of the game. Combat gameplay is great. Etc, etc.

If I have any complaints, it's placed squarely on the shoulders of Konami for not allowing the man to make a complete game. Judging by the WIP footage of Mission 51, that looked like one of the many missing pieces that could've ultimately tied everything together beautifully.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I know it won't change anyone's minds. But some people need to stop acting like anyone who is a fan of MGSV is somehow committing a crime against humanity. Objectively, there's still enough substance to that game to warrant the praise it has received to this point.

I need to pretty much disagree with all of that.

What makes it great? And if it is "great", how does it even resemble MGS?

And don't talk about people blaming Kojima too much for it being incomplete. If anything, I wish gaming outlets would actually call him out on his low rent writing and that he's pretty much the Obama of gaming... promising taboos that "would make me leave the gaming industry" and all we got was this $60 game with repetitive mission after repetitive mission with dead sandboxes. The majority of the noobs just blame Konami. Konami started only monitoring closely what they were doing at the "end", if you can even call it that, of the game's development. Kojima obviously was lax in development, and it seems apparent to me he pissed away some of the budget on nonsense. Not to mention Sutherland couldn't be cheap, when you could of gotten Hayter at probably 1/5 the price and he would of actually spoke. The protagonist was developed around the schedule of a Hollywood star, albeit B-C level... but that doesn't mean he had the time to stay in a recording booth hours on end. The proof is in the pudding on why he didn't speak much.

The art direction is fine, and is probably the only thing I actually like in it since Yoji Shinkawa is brilliant. But Gundam Gear is ridiculous in the 1980s.

And you can't be serious, that you think that lousy mission 51 was going to make a bit of difference to this nonsensical story. :lol

As for everyone's comments on here about how much they disliked it, we've never seen anyone specifically dissect the pros of the game... we just keep hearing it's a masterpiece with nothing to back it up. I personally don't care if someone likes it, I just find it funny that these uber fans of it utterly refuse to acknowledge how glaringly flawed the entire game is.

Last edited:
I think people place far too much blame on Kojima for the "incomplete" feel that MGSV has, and they ultimately end up forgetting that he was putting together that game while simultaneously trying to navigate his way out of treacherous waters at Konami.

I've said this before, but I can't see how Konami is completely at fault here due to some facts that we already know:

1) The game had a massive budget, reportedly at $80 mil.
2) Konami always let Kojima do whatever he wants. He gets to spend time traveling, enjoying 5 star treatment wherever he goes- all in the name of researching/promoting the game.
3) Kojima was allowed to even have a hour long internet TV show in his name, called Kojima Productions where a lot of the time was devoted to, you guessed it, talking about Hideo Kojima.
4) From what we already knew, Konami wanted out of the console gaming business sometime in 2015, which was already late in MGSV's development.

My point is, Kojima was given the budget, luxury, time and whatever resources he needed during the development of MGSV, which was more than adequate for a team to finish their job. Heck, the special edition of MGSV also includes a tribute video where Kojima travels the world in search for people to say in front of the camera on how great he is. Who did you think picked up the tab for that?

I'm not saying I'm on Konami's side but I can certainly understand their actions. Gambling is huge business in Japan and Konami wanted a slice of the pie. I too am bummed out that we might not see another MGR, Castlevania or Silent Hill but the first rule of business is to make money, and if this was the end of Silent Hill and Metal Gear, at least it had a good run. (Not so much for MGS).

The gameplay in MGSV is fine, I like the controls and refinements made to the overall accessibility of the mechanics but the story, characters, open world design and music leaves a lot to be desired as it all felt half baked from the inception, not halfway trough.

Last edited:
I honestly would be surprised Sony gave him half the slack that Konami did.

I just wanna say that Konami gave him a lot of leeway with MGS as a whole. He's the industry's auteur after all. My opinion is that, (again, speculation here), Konami drove Kojima away due to the change of the nature of their business to gambling and it has little to no bearing of the quality of MGSV since the narratives and purposes in these games were already in sharp decline since 2008.

Nobody's coming here with blind hatred for Kojima. I love his work up to MGS3. Go back and play MG1, MG2, MGS1 and 2 and see just how brilliant the man was in his prime.

I just wanna say that Konami gave him a lot of leeway with MGS as a whole. He's the industry's auteur after all. My opinion is that, (again, speculation here), Konami drove Kojima away due to the change of the nature of their business to gambling and it has little to no bearing of the quality of MGSV since the narratives and purposes in these games were already in sharp decline since 2008.

Nobody's coming here with blind hatred for Kojima. I love his work up to MGS3. Go back and play MG1, MG2, MGS1 and 2 and see just how brilliant the mas was in his prime.

I won't deny at all Kojima was top tier in his career from 1998-2005. That's a pretty good run that defined him and revolutionized games into Hollywood blockbusters.

And there's no doubt about the series taking a steep dive the last 10 years.

I was playing MGS2 the other day and noticed a stark contrast between Raiden and Venom Snake. Yes, people hate Raiden but he genuinely goes trough his own character arc in the game. He points out how Vamp and Fortune having superpowers (which were pretty tame by MGS standards) as being unrealistic. "That vampire too, it's like being in a nightmare you can't wake up from!" "Raiden, this is real." "But nothing seems real!".

Raiden was constantly thrown into situations that confounded and belittled his sense of existence, and came out stronger and wiser, discarding his need for the player (us) to guide him by the end of the game. Compare that to Venom Snake, who has a thousand yard stare at every event that should shake even the hardest warriors (Skulls pulling weapons out of thin air, flaming helicopter eating whales!) and you can see how bad the writing and purpose of these games have become.

Making everything in MGS2 being taken as literal in MGS4 is one of many blunders that were in that game. I'd much rather Vamp's powers being supernatural, or he was born with a high healing factor and super strength. I mean, we had supernatural abilities with Raven and Mantis already.

Just reminds me how none of the Skulls or Quiet's abilities are ever explained on how parasites do that :lol

Kojima had 5 years, and a huge budget. He gets no excuses anymore when he was just ****ing around. Everything else Konami did is total stupidity, yeah, but this is the one thing they're not fully guilty of.
As far how it will--or won't--be remembered, heh. What game is these days?
And it's this kind of blind accusation that makes me wonder why people even bother.

Games remembered from 2015 these days:
The Witcher 3
Batman Arkham Knight (maybe the only one close to being partly negative)
Splatoon
Super Mario Maker
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Bloodborne
Pokken Tournament
Dragon Ball Xenoverse
Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes

Totally missing some from 2015, but the above is my personal picks. From 2016, we got Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank PS4, Star Fox Zero, Fire Emblem Fates (all three versions), Dark Souls III, Kirby: Planet Robobot, Hyrule Warriors Legends, DOOM, Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam, Paper Mario Color Splash, Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and more on the way.

Meanwhile no one really talks about MGS V anymore, at least not in a positive light. Is there some good to MGS V? I suppose, but it's outweighed by so much. Controversy, false promises, huge build up, final game of the series. Take that away and what do you have? Decent gameplay that's not brought to its full potential due to repetition and an empty as hell overworld.

Last edited:
"Wow so many haters in here."

No, were in touch with reality and don't look at everything Kojima does with rose colored glasses :lol

Arkham Knight I'll admit is a flawed game, but still was leaps and bounds better than V. I thought there was a lot of replay value in it, where as V never got a second full playthrough from me.

It hit me when playing Uncharted 4- it outdoes nearly everything MGSV and MGS4 sets out to do in almost every regard. It's a finale just like MGS4, but it's also a semi open world like MGSV. It's a GOOD thing Kojima is finally taking notes since games like The Last of Us and Uncharted have far, far left Kojima in the dust when it comes to cinematic gameplay experiences with irresistible, compelling characters.

@Pliss, get into Uncharted, it's your MGSV hangover cure!

Well Kojima "borrows" quite a lot from different media, so I wouldn't be surprised we'll have another "A Nathan Bowie Drake Game."

Back