Metal Gear Solid collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jesus, he really is a blatant thief. Not any different than Tarantino in that regard.

:lol Weren't there at least 3 references to Arnold in the MSX games? Jungle Evil- Predator, Running Man is just that, and there is a hulking body builder boss in MG1 called "Arnold".

Then of course, there's this:

meta-gear-2-avateres.jpg

And then finally, Kojima was about to get sued until BFF John Carpenter (who loved MGS2) came to his help:

Escape From New York IP-holder wanted to sue Metal Gear Solid • Eurogamer.net

"[CanalPlus] wanted to also go after the video game Metal Gear Solid, which is kind of a rip-off of Escape From New York, too, but I told them not to do that," Carpenter said. "I know the director of those games, and he's a nice guy, or at least he's nice to me."

Looks great. But Kiva sold it? Wonder why, I thought he loved it.
Legacy Thunder Megazord, Falconzord, Artisan Dino Buckler all released within the space of about 2 months! Ray is awesome, but the Legacy PR items are ones that i have extreme sentiment for and due to the prices i need to make sacrifices. Selling a big boy like Ray helped take some of the stress off of what its gonna cost to get thoes toys in the next few weeks

I never got the argument that Kojima steals stuff. No one ever had an original idea, literally very creator steals from someone and puts a twist on it.

MGS is extremely original.

I never got the argument that Kojima steals stuff. No one ever had an original idea, literally very creator steals from someone and puts a twist on it.

MGS is extremely original.

FB_IMG_1437606007765.jpg

But seriously there is almost two pages of how not original it is. I love the series don't get me wrong but its got tons of blatant copying.

There's a difference between homage, and copying. The Metroid series was partially inspired by Alien, due to its sci fi setting and female protagonist, but beyond that those two franchises are pretty different. It's effectively a homage, especially because the creator made the comparisons himself, admitted to it, and it uses elements like an antagonist being named after Ridley Scott but the premise is much different from Alien to stand out on its own that some people don't realize where Metroid got some things from.

Dead Space is no more than a homage to RE4, if not copy, but the developers admitting to loving RE4 and were just starting out. That franchise is still very RE like, though the developers don't deny it. It's a homage, and a big copy.

The problem here is that Kojima never once admitted to copying or basing his ideas off anyone else, and it's way too blatant and obvious.

Why do you seem so set on defending this though? Especially with those two pages Dylan mentioned.

Let's face it, if these weren't Hideo Kojima games, everyone would've called them bootlegs :lol.

I don't think it has anything to do with Kojima's lack of originality, but rather, he was stuck with the same series for over a decade, and he eventually grew tired of it. At least now, he's starting over with a new game. I seriously can't wait to see what he has planned.

Let's face it, if these weren't Hideo Kojima games, everyone would've called them bootlegs :lol.

I don't think it has anything to do with Kojima's lack of originality, but rather, he was stuck with the same series for over a decade, and he eventually grew tired of it. At least now, he's starting over with a new game. I seriously can't wait to see what he has planned.
A Hideo Kojima Bootleg would be hilarious in hind sight :lol

It could be both, as he took inspiration/copying from the beginning, and due to being stuck with MGS, he just gave up. I honestly noticed that in MGS V that some of the voice actors are just playing characters they already played, not just in performance but the way the characters are...could that be a side effect of Kojima's lack of originality and the tire of the series?

For reference, Pliss stated Troy Baker was playing Joel in Ocelot and I agree, I've been seeing that. Robin Atkin Downes is playing the emo Prince of Persia from Warrior Within, and Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes 2 due to the obsession Travis had with revenge and how it sort of made him a worse character, which I'm seeing a lot in Kaz Miller to the point where the three characters sound almost exactly the same. Venom Snake...I don't know much on Jack Bauer, but didn't some of you say that there's no real difference? The first two have nearly the exact same tone as the character

I never thought that the identity of MGS itself as a copy, elements of characters sure are, and maybe the story of MGS1 which is heavily influenced by EFNY, but to me it was more like an average 80's/90's action movie, anyway, you can tell they were made with the utmost respect and love of the things from which they were copied, so they are definitely homages despite being copies, but MGS by itself is pretty original, if you strip away all the loving plagiarism MGS still stands on its own mythos and storyline.

MGS shares this with most 80's/90's anime/manga at an aesthetic level, they came from a time the Japanese were obsessed with American pop culture and so, many "bootleg" works came out of it, but they're really their own thing after you go past the initial plagiarism.

Dead Space is no more than a homage to RE4, if not copy, but the developers admitting to loving RE4 and were just starting out. That franchise is still very RE like, though the developers don't deny it. It's a homage, and a big copy.
The only thing I see DS being a homage of RE4 is the signature gameplay. I haven't played 3 but the 1st two were more survival than all the RE games after 3 combined.

The rest was "homage" to countless sci-fi stories, even the name of the MC which is basically a combo of 2 of the biggest sci-fi authors ever.

But I guess it's been called RE in space countless times.

Dead Space was called RE in space during development too :lol but when you look at it, Dead Space took a lot of familiar elements and put it together, from RE to many sci-fi movies like Alien. There were other RE things but I don't recall...
After looking further into the Bowie stuff... he really stole a lot from the guy's career.

"A David Bowie Game."

"Man he should sue Konami! He should buy Konami!" #standwithkojima
Wow, really? Damn.

Hi chaps

I've just joined here after lurking for a few months, stumbled across this forum and discovered this thread which in turn lead me to start looking at MGS figures. Bought the medicom one a few months ago and just had my sneaking suit snake delivered this week, eyeing up a few others to try and get hold of in the coming months. Hope to stick around and get involved :cool:

Hi chaps

I've just joined here after lurking for a few months, stumbled across this forum and discovered this thread which in turn lead me to start looking at MGS figures. Bought the medicom one a few months ago and just had my sneaking suit snake delivered this week, eyeing up a few others to try and get hold of in the coming months. Hope to stick around and get involved :cool:

Welcome! Is there any problems with that sneaking suit Snake? I think everyone has at least one thing wrong with theirs.

Welcome, Everyone's gotta start somewhere!

What's in the diamond dogs green thing? I've seen it around but never what's inside

Welcome! Is there any problems with that sneaking suit Snake? I think everyone has at least one thing wrong with theirs.

No problems that I've noticed, apart from stiff limbs so it's quite hard to get into certain poses

Welcome, Everyone's gotta start somewhere!

What's in the diamond dogs green thing? I've seen it around but never what's inside

Nothing exciting, it's just an empty cardboard box. I bought the special edition MGS:V ps4 console and it came with that

Back