Metal Gear Solid collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my WIP PlayArts Snake head rework version based on original concept images (not the in-game look).

First, I disassembled the head to identify the areas I want to work on. And I gathered some reference images for head.
Basically I want to redo the whole head plus front side of Bandana. I don't know about yours, but mine has off-centered wrinkles that look really ugly..
6913459510_29c9a79a7a_o.jpg

Based on various concept images, I sculpted the new head, made new eyeballs and didsome minor epoxy work on front of bandana. I recasted the rest of head parts.
6913459616_8c0133d4ed_o.jpg

and this is how it looks before painting. I'll do some small putty work on his hair as well.
6913459576_eb0c593b61_z.jpg

Adding 1 more shot after head fitting test.
7059685741_cb6ceca832_o.jpg

This is mostly how I wanted from PlayArts, so it could be different from how you guys envisioned it :p.

Last edited:
Here is my WIP PlayArts Snake head rework version based on original concept images (not the in-game look).

First, I disassembled the head to identify the areas I want to work on. And I gathered some reference images for head.
Basically I want to redo the whole head plus front side of Bandana. I don't know about yours, but mine has off-centered wrinkles that look really ugly..

Based on various concept images, I sculpted the new head, made new eyeballs and didsome minor epoxy work on front of bandana. I recasted the rest of head parts.

and this is how it looks before painting. I'll do some small putty work on his hair as well.

This is mostly how I wanted from PlayArts, so it could be different from how you guys envisioned it :p.

To me that is 100% perfect!

Pure awesomeness and the painted head will be icing on the cake.
Kyekye u ever try sending ur custom stuff to Hot Toys for them to hire u??
That HS is nice.

@kyekye OGM Man that snake looks sooooooooo good! I wish that was original head sculpt from Play Arts!

What materials did you use for it? Have you ever done any tutorial?

The figures look great!

What a single person with basically unlimited time and a totally different set of materials to work with can do is totally different than what can be manufactured.

Unless you're just talking about the likeness then that's a personal preference thing and has nothing to do with manufacturing.

Adding 1 more shot after head fitting test.
7059685741_cb6ceca832_o.jpg

Do you take commissions kyekye? I have the Solid Snake figure coming, and I really dislike the pictures of the head sculpt that I've seen around the net. Your custom is just fantastic!

Recieved Play Arts Snake today, it's awesome but not without it's flaws imo.

This was my first play arts figure so I didn't know what to expect.

My initial reaction was the scale is awesome. It offers something different to 1:6 and the neca type of figures! Then after taking out I was pretty let down by how he was positioned in the box, his arms were bent inwards and the pistol silencer was warped, plus his belt sits in a funny position. The knee joints are loose already and i've barely touched them. The paint on the head is also lacking, only slightly, with a small bit of grey on the ears, cheeks and around the mouth area. His pupils are also an orangey colour.

I've watched all the reviews on youtube and looked at countless pics and I don't really think it's a bootleg. Does anyone know how to spot one?

All said and done though it's a great looking figure and i'm happy I bought it! Think i'm going to order Greyfox and the rest of the line!

Recieved Play Arts Snake today, it's awesome but not without it's flaws imo.

This was my first play arts figure so I didn't know what to expect.

My initial reaction was the scale is awesome. It offers something different to 1:6 and the neca type of figures! Then after taking out I was pretty let down by how he was positioned in the box, his arms were bent inwards and the pistol silencer was warped, plus his belt sits in a funny position. The knee joints are loose already and i've barely touched them. The paint on the head is also lacking, only slightly, with a small bit of grey on the ears, cheeks and around the mouth area. His pupils are also an orangey colour.

I've watched all the reviews on youtube and looked at countless pics and I don't really think it's a bootleg. Does anyone know how to spot one?

All said and done though it's a great looking figure and i'm happy I bought it! Think i'm going to order Greyfox and the rest of the line!

Man.. are you sure is'nt a Bootleg figure?? :thud:

I received mine last week and the whole figure is awesome, I can't find any flaws.. all the joints are super tight, (including knees) and the painting is great and detailed, (specially the headsculpt)

However I got Gray fox, and I found some minor painting flaws, but it's great anyways

Edit: The pistol silencer was a just bit bent, but I could straighten it easily and quicly

About bootlegs..This was posted by lonewolf, but can't see the pics now ¿?

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35944&page=300

Last edited:
I dont think there's actually a bootleg, only not so perfect looking ones.

My Sneaking Big Boss had some stain and uneven colors on it, same
as my Gray Fox (ex. Gold color stains on the blue color area, dry glue
partly on the eye). Anyhow, i'm happy with it and the stains aren't
that visible for afar

Man.. are you sure is'nt a Bootleg figure?? :thud:

I received mine last week and the whole figure is awesome, I can't find any flaws.. all the joints are super tight, (including knees) and the painting is great and detailed, (specially the headsculpt)

However I got Gray fox, and I found some minor painting flaws, but it's great anyways

Edit: The pistol silencer was a just bit bent, but I could straighten it easily and quicly

About bootlegs..This was posted by lonewolf, but can't see the pics now ¿?

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35944&page=300

Thanks for the link! Well, if I hadn't heard the rumour that there were bootleg figures out there I wouldn't be thinking anything along the lines of "this is a bootleg" or whatever. It looks pretty much exactly the same as what i've seen of everyone else's really. It's just the initial impression out of the box was "I may have to check if this is a bootleg" lol. Just because of the way it was packed and the face paint.

Then I found this on a website:

Play Arts Kai Solid Snake noted differences

Packaging:

1. With Serial Number DGTC-1203 on the bottom flap. Serials are deeply engraved, typewriter font size.

Bootleg 1. No Serial Number or if serials are present, not engraved deeply and font is different.

2. Warning and Attention boxes on the upper right corner and top flap in a light to medium grey background

Bootleg 2. Warning and attention boxes in dark background

3. Box art of character on side is sharp

Bootleg 3. Box art of character is a bit blurry

4. The sides of the boxes emit a reddish black sheen under a light

Bootleg 4. Dull black sheen

5. Matte 25th sticker

Bootleg 5. Glossy 25th sticker

6. Tightly packaged box with circular tapes

Bootleg 6. Loosely packaged box with circular tapes and common scotch tape

7. Hard inner tray

Bootleg 7. Soft inner tray that collapse at times due to weight of the figure

Head / Face:

1. Well defined facial structure with light brown/flesh pink shades around the eyes and cheeks.

Bootleg 1. Pale or grayish shades on the face and (commonly with) wayward gray paint smudges on the cheeks, chin, ears and neck.

2. Ashen/light blue eyes with glossy finish

Bootleg 2. Same color but No glossy finish

3. Flesh pink or light brown lips

Bootleg 3. Dark brown or gray lips

Body/Joints

1. Glossy paint finish on the upper torso

Bootleg 1. Dull black finish on the upper torso

2. Darker shade overall for body

Bootleg 2. Grayish body shade

3. Tight joints especially the groin and knee areas

Bootleg 3. Joints are a bit loose

Weapons/Accessories

1. SOCOM dark semi-metallic finish

Bootleg 1. SOCOM dark finish (looks like a GI Joe gun to me)

2. FAMAS semi-metallic finish

Bootleg 2. Dull finish

3. Bandanna is articulated with removable tail

Bootleg 3. Bandanna not articulated and not removable

NOTE: some shades on his face area are only visible under certain lighting conditions. This is especially true on the shadings around his eyes and cheeks. His eyes also possess a different glow when subjected to a camera flash since they have a

There are a few points there that pretty much confirm mines a bootleg but how much of the above is true I don't know as i'm pretty sure the bandana isn't poseable!

There are a few points there that pretty much confirm mines a bootleg but how much of the above is true I don't know as i'm pretty sure the bandana isn't poseable!

About the bandana ..I think they could mean that the bootleg version might be made of hard plastic instead soft plastic/rubber. or maybe is glued to the head instead or attached to the head and can't move ... but can I tell you that mine have'nt inner wires or something :dunno

Thanks to the bootleg info you have posted, I,m sure mine is legite.. but I dónt understand the bandana thing very well :/

I'm pretty sure that list isn't just for bootlegs. Most, if not all of those items are probably from legit figures that made it out of the Play Arts factory without any quality assurance.

I've been collecting Play Arts figures for a few years now (official figures that were purchased through the local Kinokuniya store in Manhattan), and I can say that every single one of them has some type of glaring cosmetic defect that gets on my nerves whenever I look at them.

Case in point: when going the Play Arts route don't expect Hot Toys quality, or you're going to be sorely disappointed. Really... just expect anything :monkey1.

Does your box have an indented serial number on the bottom of the box? Mine has nothing. Pretty much all the points I posted from the website mine falls into the bootleg category. Oh no lol

Does your box have an indented serial number on the bottom of the box? Mine has nothing. Pretty much all the points I posted from the website mine falls into the bootleg category. Oh no lol

Yes, mine has a serial number engraved on the bottom of the box (DGTC xxxx)

Edit: Just checked, S Snake,Gray Fox, Big Boss (both) boxes, and all have serial numbers engraved.. same for Deus Ex figures I own

Anyways a bootleg figure nowadays are pretty difficult to distinguish from the original ..(just remember the HT Wolverine )

And Solidus is right, My Big boss BS version for example is legite but is'nt perfect, and has some minor painting flaws :/

Last edited:
Back