Metal Gear Solid collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. I?ve gotten lucky with my Boss figure. No stains or cracks, still mint. My Naked Snake on the other hand almost disintegrated lol. I had to convert him to camouflage fatigues.

Does anyone know of something you can treat them with to prevent cracking/peeling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, The leather parts on the naked snake particularly the shoulder pads got 'soft' and tore when i was placing it right into the plastic case/container on the box. I just had the figure for 2 years when those started showing up. Its probably due to the humid climate here in the Philippines and i was not able to apply leather conditioning materials to prolong them.

Same here. I?ve gotten lucky with my Boss figure. No stains or cracks, still mint. My Naked Snake on the other hand almost disintegrated lol. I had to convert him to camouflage fatigues.

Does anyone know of something you can treat them with to prevent cracking/peeling?

i've heard of many claims here that their pleather lasted for decades and are still going well, well i don't really know about that, i know their longevity depends on the environment but i also believe they will eventually fail. i've done many different types of care from nothing, to leather shine, rubber protection, bee wax to mink oil, while i believe the rubber protection and bee wax/mink oil does help prolong it's durability (rubber protector adds a coat on it but makes it look thick), they will still deteriorate from the inner side. So what ever sealant you apply on the outer side will not protect deterioration from the inner side which is more important because the pleather is somehow glued onto the fabric base and humid et al will attack from the inner side too and the pleather layer starts losing it's adhesiveness and starts flaking. a layer of top coat helps keeping the pleather layer together in 1 piece but it will not prevent the layer from coming off the fabric base.

i guess they couldn't use durable pleather like those on motorcycle seats because they would be too thick. also different materials within the costume (pleather mixed with rubber or even plastic will start to eat each other up due to chemical reactions).

Here is what happened to my Boss. I've got to remove the rust from the buckles, then repaint the suit and straps.
72041ca063554771aee309253f8bda11.jpg
c0c04f36c196d9714c57b3813cfe1a4b.jpg

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

McFarlane is the whole reason why we didn't get MGS figs for such a long time. Kojima ended up being super pissed that McFarlane spoiled the existence of Raiden.

Granted at this point it seems like Konami would go out of their way to piss Kojima off, but McFarlane and Metal Gear seems super unlikely.

Any source on this? I remember reading about this years ago, but nothing about it online anymore.

Any source on this? I remember reading about this years ago, but nothing about it online anymore.

how did McFarlane spoiled Raiden? he got his figure and it was ok. in fact we got both MGS 1 & 2 figures. sure they weren't much articulated but Medicom didn't do it any better with their semi articulated figures either.

I bought her second hand, about 5 years ago. It already had yellow Mark's around the lower body. I used Vajello acrylics, watered down. It looked fine. She has been in storage for a few years and all the metal has rusted, staining the suit.

how did McFarlane spoiled Raiden? he got his figure and it was ok. in fact we got both MGS 1 & 2 figures. sure they weren't much articulated but Medicom didn't do it any better with their semi articulated figures either.

i remember now, because at the time, everyone thought snake was the protagonist of mgs2, but the toy line leaked Raiden and then started questioning who he was at the time

Thanks for posting that. I got the Dark Souls statues from the same line for $10 a piece a while back so I have been trying to watch out for this one too.

I have a custom Venom Snake in the works currently. Any suggestions for the LBV/chest rig? I have a SPIE harness and have found a few BBI items, but was still wondering. Thanks in advance!

I have a custom Venom Snake in the works currently. Any suggestions for the LBV/chest rig? I have a SPIE harness and have found a few BBI items, but was still wondering. Thanks in advance!

I haven?t seen a chest rig similar to Venom Snake?s. Have you looked into Lim or WJL parts?

i've heard of many claims here that their pleather lasted for decades and are still going well, well i don't really know about that, i know their longevity depends on the environment but i also believe they will eventually fail. i've done many different types of care from nothing, to leather shine, rubber protection, bee wax to mink oil, while i believe the rubber protection and bee wax/mink oil does help prolong it's durability (rubber protector adds a coat on it but makes it look thick), they will still deteriorate from the inner side. So what ever sealant you apply on the outer side will not protect deterioration from the inner side which is more important because the pleather is somehow glued onto the fabric base and humid et al will attack from the inner side too and the pleather layer starts losing it's adhesiveness and starts flaking. a layer of top coat helps keeping the pleather layer together in 1 piece but it will not prevent the layer from coming off the fabric base.

i guess they couldn't use durable pleather like those on motorcycle seats because they would be too thick. also different materials within the costume (pleather mixed with rubber or even plastic will start to eat each other up due to chemical reactions).

You are absolute right on everything, getting a second suit did not help, it kind of ripped by the shoulder, waited 25 days for the suit but at the end of the day I will never take it off and play around with the durability of the suit, next time something happens, she will get the parka display nothing less. Granted, the rip is covered by the shoulder knife thank goodness so I am luck, it?s not noticeable unless you take it off, but then again, i will just get a dehumidifier for this figure from now on.

Here is what happened to my Boss. I've got to remove the rust from the buckles, then repaint the suit and straps.
72041ca063554771aee309253f8bda11.jpg
c0c04f36c196d9714c57b3813cfe1a4b.jpg

Ehh I should had painted this suit rather than taking it off and trying to fix it on my own, the fix removed some of the major staining, BUT still left some rust in the seams.

Anyways this is the final result of The Boss, such an iconic VGM figure that will probably never get a reissue due to konami. Lessons learned everyone should be careful with the aging shoulder straps when putting her jumpsuit on, it tears easily

Can you see it?

78a373f8edafc8123353c189533b04bd.jpg

That knife is a life saver
abea9018fb766d00925fb9f51a76195a.jpg

f6755df43208f84245d668f47b1ef775.jpg

First suit, noticed how the stain was gone but putting the suit back on ripped the shoulder strings right off, this almost happened on the second suit it tears more whenever i zipped it up [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]
82abcfe6d0e93f4c8d1d4972237512b8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry man, that's really bad. I am looking to get an olive uniform, just in case my second refurbishment plan goes to pot again. I think if I sculpted a bandana and nodded the hair, the original head sculpt would better also. It's a shame, as it's a very iconic look.

Back