Metal Gear Solid collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of people say Garrus is pretty all right and look accurate. I disagree.

I mean, it doesn't look nearly as bad as Shepard, but Garrus doesn't look good at all either. The head looks really.. egh convoluted and ugly.

But the sculpt is pretty much great, as shown by someone who repainted it.

The original Garrus:

27664-header.jpg

Two repainted Garruses:

KVIZdjG.jpg

tumblr_meu7ei7ZTD1rfrkqpo2_1280.jpg

The top one's right (from our perspective) eye has a little paint error there, it appears, but that could easily be fixed by the painter in person.

Both of them look pretty cool aside from a slight few flaws!

I honestly don't know what the painters think when they finish paining a head and go - yep that's exactly how it should look

My SF akuma has a completely different colour head to the rest of his body

I honestly don't know what the painters think when they finish paining a head and go - yep that's exactly how it should look

:lecture:exactly::goodpost:

Luckily, it seems to be a bit better now, but that super-conveniently coincides with the prices going up to the 'this is bollocks' territory. The price is already abnormal for what you're getting, and on top of that, unless you live in Japan or close to it, you're pretty screwed when it comes to shipping costs because people want to add extra costs to it. And not just 'extra' extra. More like 'enough to pay for a second Play Arts Kai figure in Japan' extra.

I don't blame them. I guess I fault SE for such terrible QC. I have two PAK Solid Snakes on display on my shelf (one is a friends') while the face paintjob is superb on both, his body was far more detailed and more shiny.

The price is ludicrous. I remember back when it was only Play Arts and the Figures were £20 each!

Granted they are better quality now, bigger, sturdier and generally all round better made but they haven't made £50 worth of improvements

If it wasn't for the fact that they are the only company making figures from a few franchises i've collected since i was young (MGS & FF), I wouldn't buy them

Definitely not at the price they are asking anyways. £120 for Solidus? are you for real. My HT Naked Snake only cost me an extra £40 delivered :lecture

:lecture:exactly::goodpost:

Luckily, it seems to be a bit better now, but that super-conveniently coincides with the prices going up to the 'this is bollocks' territory. The price is already abnormal for what you're getting, and on top of that, unless you live in Japan or close to it, you're pretty screwed when it comes to shipping costs because people want to add extra costs to it. And not just 'extra' extra. More like 'enough to pay for a second Play Arts Kai figure in Japan' extra.

Yeah i agree.

They should employ people who actually like the things they are painting or are actually going to paint it how it should be. There has to be a bit of fault placed on the painters head. They are knowingly handing over rubbish to be confirmed after all

On the whole i've been impressed with the stylised bodies on the PAK figures, it's always been the heads or paint that have been the let down, sometimes a mixture of both.

I don't like that you can't really stand them up properly without a stand. It can't be hard to just make the feet so they can stand up straight and steady while holding their own weight, it's a bit lazy for such expense

I don't blame them. I guess I fault SE for such terrible QC. I have two PAK Solid Snakes on display on my shelf (one is a friends') while the face paintjob is superb on both, his body was far more detailed and more shiny.

He could come even darker. Every figure i've received that's had a different colour to the proto has come darker. :monkey4

Guile for one, Akuma, Even my bandana on Ryu is really dark red, totally different shade to the gloves

I hope the paint on my liquid snake is light, i think he looks cape verdian.

sent from a tormented past

Yeah i agree.

They should employ people who actually like the things they are painting or are actually going to paint it how it should be. There has to be a bit of fault placed on the painters head. They are knowingly handing over rubbish to be confirmed after all

On the whole i've been impressed with the stylised bodies on the PAK figures, it's always been the heads or paint that have been the let down, sometimes a mixture of both.

I don't like that you can't really stand them up properly without a stand. It can't be hard to just make the feet so they can stand up straight and steady while holding their own weight, it's a bit lazy for such expense

I think it's usually pretty much the paint job ON the head. Usually, the head sculpts are pretty all right. Again, not flawless. Not a perfect dead ringer. Like we saw with Shepard and Solid Snake. Their unpainted sculpts looked very, very nice. Not perfectly like it, but way more than the finished product, and enough to be very convincing and worth the money.

Even the paint on the armor/clothes are generally very clean and nice. Again, Shepard and Snake are both a good example of it.

Shepard's armor looks great, and so does Solid Snake's. In fact, Solid Snake's clothing is my favorite part of MGS1 Snake's design. I love his clothes, and Square Enix recreated that almost perfectly. Such a shame that it's usually the paint on the heads that brings the entire thing tumbling down for me. :(

I think it's usually pretty much the paint job ON the head. Usually, the head sculpts are pretty all right. Again, not flawless. Not a perfect dead ringer.

Hate to break it to you, but any PAK based on a non-current MGS game will be very, very far from looking like their source material, but at this point I doubt anyone minds.

Hate to break it to you, but any PAK based on a non-current MGS game will be very, very far from looking like their source material, but at this point I doubt anyone minds.

That's what I meant. It's all stylized, but with a better paint job, it could still look pretty convincing.

Oh god! You reminded me how ****ing ugly Akuma's head is :lol

PAK figures definitely aren't without faults. Most of them don't bother me too much. Akuma is a little annoying, mine is like that too, but his open mouth head is painted perfect. It's kind of odd, but I'll probably just display him with that one. I don't mind too much though. It's an interesting representation of Akuma, I believe it's from an obscure piece of art. I like the sculpt as I think it enhances his monsterousness but still retains that calm, determined demeanor of his.

I personally I think Solid is near perfect, and resembles the art from the HD remaster and the spirit of the original art very well. Could he use a couple of tweaks? Yeah, but it's tough translating a 2D concept into 3D and I think they did a great job. I would like to get a second Solid Snake one day though and see if I can tweak him a bit, but it's nothing something I really feel is that big of a deal. A lot of getting Solid Snake looking right is lighting and angle. That's always been a big aspect of his appearance. Tilt the head down so your shooting from above, get the right amount of shadow, and it's like you're playing the game.

Last edited:
Back